Lag, Crashes and updates

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Lag, Crashes and updates

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:48 pm

Anaklusmos wrote:HEADSPLOSION!
1. You should probably take a step back from gaming for a while, if it's getting to you that much.

2. Run through a VPN. Betternet runs through Switzerland and seems to bypass the trouble spot. It's free, but don't count on it to provide any sort of security.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:38 am

So, I had another friend help me fix up my computer, but NWN now shows this message:

Micorsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\GOG Galaxy\Games\NWN Diamond\nwmain.exe

abnormal program termination

But when I went to reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime thing, it stated that there was already a up-to-date version, so I decided to uninstall and reinstall it, but after I did it still said the same message.

So...any thoughts?

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:01 am

Make sure nwmain.exe is in Windows XP Service Pack 3 Compatibility Mode.
  • Go to C:\Program Files\GOG Galaxy\Games\NWN Diamond\
  • Right-click nwmain.exe and select Properties
  • Go to the Compatibility tab
  • Under "Compatibility mode", check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box, and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" from the drop down menu
  • Click "Apply"
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:40 am

I'm unable to access my characters, because the CD authentication was denied, am I suppose to put the CD keys I was using when I made my player account??

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:49 am

So I inputted my originaly CD keys but now I'm back to not being able to access the servers...

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:51 am

I feel like I'm just making things worse and worse...

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:57 am

Can you post a screenshot of the message you see when you try to log in?

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:59 am

I don't even know how to do that...

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:09 am

Apparently, I'm able to access the Surface server, but whenever I try to mess with the Cities & Planes it doesn't do anything...

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:11 am

*Curls up in fetal position while holding head.* I just don't understand... :'C

Anaklusmos

Post by Anaklusmos » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:41 pm

So I decided to install the game to the other desktop in the house, just to see if anything would happen differently. Nothing new. Still got the same message about CD keys authentication denied, so I inputted the previous CD keys that I got, they worked, but can't access either server. On my desktop, I can only access Surface server but not Cities & Planes server. There's nothing more I can do to figure what is wrong or even try to. This is THE roadblock I've finally hit and I really don't see what else I can do. My gut is telling me if I had never reset my router on the 11th none of this would have ever happened, but then again, perhaps it still would have irregardless. I've been begging my friend to just come over for at least a half hour to hour to look over what the heck the freaking problems could be, but, you guessed it, he still won't help me... I fear that I may have to start all over with my characters on a new player account, which means from first scratch... So much progress lost... How depressing...

dallion43
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by dallion43 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:39 pm

Regarding the CD Key:
Go to google.com and type in search box my ip. Write down the number.
Right click on the NwN shortcut on your desktop and click Properties. Click open file location. Go to override folder. Move the files to a backup folder. Do the same thing for the hak folder.(If you have it)
Open the nwncdkey.ini txt file and ensure the keys are the ones you used when you created the PC on Arelith.
!ALL of the above files are in the same NwN main folder. (Look above on how to get there)
Send a relevant DM(Unsure who but they all helpful, at least he will point you to the right DM) a Private Message via clicking on his name on the forum and clicking send private message. Ask them to check if your IP or CD key is been banned due to XYZ.
Wait patiently, 1-5 days for a PM response. DO not change the CD keys in the nwncdkey.ini!
If you are unsure which of the CD keys you used when created a PC on Arelith send the DM every CD key you suspect by groups of 3.(How they come originally).

Regarding the Lag:
If you are US based the recent lag, probably, has nothing to do with your computer. It is caused by one of the internet providers that transfer the data all the way to Arelith. LA central hub1 that AT&T uses, Grrrr, caused me personally to deal with at least 10 companies this week and look for a SIP Trunk provider that doesn't move traffic via this hub.
But the connection to Arelith route improved on it own and this Friday evening it wasn't lagging or freezing without using a VPN.
Resolve the CD key issue first then check if you still have lag. Then post here if you do.

P.C Please don't get offended, it is just my opinion.
Never get upset if you don't know something, get happy. Use it as an opportunity for self growth and learn something new. Or, find a manual on how to via google that are a youtube video or a page with picture examples that go into details and then follow the instructions one by one without understanding what they mean. (A bit dangerous, if unsure post the manual link(Top line in your browser) here first for confirmation if valid)
What is a screenshot = get to the error message on your computer. Take a piece of paper and a pen. Write down the EXACT error message with ALL the strange characters on the message etc etc.
Post what you wrote here and we will help you.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:44 pm

Anaklusmos wrote:I fear that I may have to start all over with my characters on a new player account, which means from first scratch... So much progress lost... How depressing...
You're going to be fine. It will just take time to figure out what's going on. Your account isn't the problem, and even if it was, you could easily have the Devs move your character vault from the old key to the new one.

Lady of Memes

Post by Lady of Memes » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:05 pm

Anaklusmos wrote:I seriously have no idea how to do any of this. I really wish my friend wasn't such a butt and would just help me... But he's too busy with his girlfriend...
Alright. If you're not good at computer stuff, here is another fix. All my lag issues have been fixed and I am able to play fine again. A friend of mine pointed me towards a program called WTFast. It s a vpn program. Which means that basically it will reroute your ip address to a different place. There's a lot of computer wiz wibbly-wobbly-timey-whimey stuff that I honestly can't explain behind it. But this is what I did to fix my lag.

Go to this website:
https://www.wtfast.com/

You will need to register. Now the program is one that you can pay for. It is 6$ a month. HOWEVER you will receive a 15 day free trial. This should be enough time for whatever company to fix it's lag issues with arelith- and if not well it's at least an alternative.
Once you down load the program and your email is registered (You dont have to give them your card or anything for the trial)
You will need to start it up.

Since NWN is such an old game, you'll have to input it manually. But once you do it once, you dont have to again if you do everything right.
I've screen shot what to do to make it easier.
Here is step 1:
http://imgur.com/pheCFO1

Click custom game and then click 'add'.

It'll bring you to this:
http://imgur.com/9Q58tSH

Type in 'Neverwinter nights' into the game name.

Game executable file means the file that opens the game. I'll give you the direct path here. Step by step. Super easy. Click 'browse'. Go to your C drive (Or wherever you have the game saved). You will be looking for this file here:
http://imgur.com/7uqfhxt
The one highlighted is the one you want.
Click Open. It should be right there.

Now click on the dot that says 'Run with launcher'. It's basically the same thing except you're going to add your launcher to it.
This can be different for some people as some people use the sinfar launcher because it skips all the waiting and goes directly to the direct connect page. Whichever you use, you'll want to add it. Here's the normal launcher used:
http://imgur.com/KwMpi7X

Now click okay. It should bring you back to the screen before but now you have the game added. Viola. Press play and it will load the game.

Please be warned. Because you are using a vpn, it'll take the game a few seconds to load the connection. When you get to the list of ips for the servers you have saved, they will all say 'OFFLINE' at first. Wait a minute and they will start to change and show what you normally see.

Happy playing.

:)

"In the words of someone wise, it's sad to make passive aggressive complaints on kudos forums."

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:38 pm

My connection seems to be free of packet loss now, sans VPN.

Is anyone else still having issues?

Meme Lord

Post by Meme Lord » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:00 am

When I log in my ping is well over 4500, I'm still having this issue and haven't been able to play for a couple days now.

dallion43

Post by dallion43 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:46 am

Lady of Memes wrote: First, you are going to need to figure out what operating system you have before you can download anything. For me it was windows 10. After you deduce what system you have, you'll need to figure out if it is a 32 bit or a 64 bit. From my experience a lot of gaming pcs are 64 bit. (And by experience I only mean people I know who game. I'm no expert, I could be very wrong.)

You can find out which type of system you have very easily. Here's how.

Go to your start button (if you have windows at least) and type 'about your system' (or for me it was 'about your pc'.). Listed under 'system type' will give you what type of system you have. Easy peasy.

Then you download either 32 or 64 bit from this website: http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/

Once downloaded, go to the file location and run the program. From there the program will come up. There will be a bar of white (Like a url bar) with the word 'host' to the left of it and 'start' to the right. Simply type in the ip address for the server that you are currently playing on.
This program needs to be running at the same time as you play your game. If you are playing on the surface than input 138.201.20.77:5124
If you are playing on Cordor/ud you will need to input 138.201.20.77:5123

Please make sure to stay on that server while the test is going. I don't know what happens if you don't- but logic is telling me it will probably mess something up so pick one.

You will see some numbers start to happen once you click 'start'. From there set a timer for 15 minutes and let it go.
If you've done everything right, there will be multiple bars with multiple letters and numbers in the large white space.
When the fifteen minutes is up, simply copy all of it and pm Scholar Midnight here on the forums. Paste the information.
Before you click send, open a new tab, go to google, then type 'What is my ip address'. Google will automatically detect it and give it to you. Copy and paste this ip into your message as well then send it off. There, you're done.
The rest is up to the dev's/server provider to deal with.

In reality this process would only take someone who knows what their doing perhaps 20 minutes or less. It's quick, painless, and you get to still play for most of the time. It'll also help our team figure out what's going on so there's that too. If you have questions just pm me.
1. Does your internet connection behaves normally outside of Arelith?
2. Did you follow the guide above? If you did, see your packet loss % and the time it takes to send the packet.
3. If the numbers aren't 0 packet loss and ~100-200ms(ping), please consider following the post about how to VPN by Lady of Memes above in this tread.
If you ping(gameplay on Arelith) was fine until now and your internet connection behaves normally outside of Arelith a VPN will help with 95% probability.

Meme Lord

Post by Meme Lord » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 pm

When I tried to run the diagnostic, it just keeps coming up with a message saying "Unable to resolve hostname". Is there anything anyone can do to help me?

I used the WinMTR program to try it, but it won't even do the diagnosis.
Last edited by Meme Lord on Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meme Lord

Post by Meme Lord » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:04 pm

I tried using the WTFast thing to try and play on the sever, but it still had terrible ping. I was running at 500 ms

Okay, apparently my free trial ended immediately after I made the account. So that might be why it wasn't working.

dallion43

Post by dallion43 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:52 pm

Meme Lord wrote:When I tried to run the diagnostic, it just keeps coming up with a message saying "Unable to resolve hostname". Is there anything anyone can do to help me?

Double check the arelith ping address you put in the WinMTR. The exact number and the port.
Meme Lord wrote:I tried using the WTFast thing to try and play on the sever, but it still had terrible ping. I was running at 500 ms

Okay, apparently my free trial ended immediately after I made the account. So that might be why it wasn't working.
That is good news. That means your problem is the route to Arelith.com. 5kms -> 500ms.
When using trial VPNs !only enable the vpn when playing Arelith with everything else(torrent, steam, windows updates ETC ETC) turned off. You will save traffic.
Running very fast out of traffic on VPN indicates you have background processes running and using bandwidth on your computer, or you got !very little free traffic from the trial.
If WTFast brought you to 500ms ping look for VPN with many servers in/around you country.
Try a bunch of different servers in the VPN based on their MS. Should bring you to ~200ms.

Meme Lord

Post by Meme Lord » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:10 am

dallion43 wrote:
Meme Lord wrote:When I tried to run the diagnostic, it just keeps coming up with a message saying "Unable to resolve hostname". Is there anything anyone can do to help me?

Double check the arelith ping address you put in the WinMTR. The exact number and the port.
Meme Lord wrote:I tried using the WTFast thing to try and play on the sever, but it still had terrible ping. I was running at 500 ms

That is good news. That means your problem is the route to Arelith.com. 5kms -> 500ms.
When using trial VPNs !only enable the vpn when playing Arelith with everything else(torrent, steam, windows updates ETC ETC) turned off. You will save traffic.
Running very fast out of traffic on VPN indicates you have background processes running and using bandwidth on your computer, or you got !very little free traffic from the trial.
If WTFast brought you to 500ms ping look for VPN with many servers in/around you country.
Try a bunch of different servers in the VPN based on their MS. Should bring you to ~200ms.
Something I realize AFTER trying the VPN WTFast, is it never activated in the first place, because it expired the second I turned it on. It was likely initialy at 500ms before activating it. I will try the diagnostic again, though I did try multiple times to get it to work and I was pretty certain that I used the right IP.

Meme Lord

Post by Meme Lord » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:16 am

Alright, I tried the diagnostic check again using WinMTR with the same results.
I was 100% sure to use the same IP that I used to connect to the server which was
138.201.20.77:5124
For the surface server.

dallion43

Post by dallion43 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 am

Try to put Arelith.com in the WinMTR. Are you sure you have the latest MTR for your windows version?

If yes, try this; open the command promt by clicking start and type cmd in the search box.
Type: "tracert arelith.com" in the cmd
Then: "tracert 138.201.20.77"
If this will give you 0 result you need to check your: firewall, dns and router, depends on the result, post it here.

I check and indeed, WTFast was actually true to it is name and ended the trial before it was started.

Try https://www.tunnelbear.com/, it has 500mb for free.

Meme Lord

Post by Meme Lord » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:59 am

A bunch of results popped up when I typed "Arelith.com" into the Host bar, but I am not entirely sure what any of these results are supposed to represent. What am I supposed to do with all of this?

Shadofury

Post by Shadofury » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:22 am

the game for me fixed on its own normal ping is 140-160 where during the days in question it had shot up to 3000 at times and reseting my laptop usually fixed it enough to play