Great Hero of Arelith

All discussions, suggestions, submissions, organizations required to keep the Encyclopedia Arelithica up to date, and worthy of historical annals.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Great Hero of Arelith

Post by Mithreas » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:46 am

greatfanfare wrote:Image

Such dedication to duty of this unsung hero!
There's a story behind the Last Bastion guys.

On the night that we released the Baator areas, Artos and I were hanging around to see how things went. First, the Underdarkers opened their portal, and charged through en masse. We had an epic battle waiting for them, with a horde of devils... all in the acid rain of Minauros that nobody was expecting or ready for. The most determined Underdarkers got as far as the bridge area that's the last area before reaching the relative safety of Dis before turning back.

The surface, meanwhile, took a lot longer to find their way into Baator - a gateway under what was then Light Keep. The first group to find it went to the Last Bastion, looked around a bit, talked between themselves, and decided that they would go back for reinforcements. Only one brave adventurer decided to venture into the wastes of Avernus... Dante Lyons, priest of Akadi.

Artos and I decided we wanted to encourage this sort of adventurous spirit, so we possessed two of the Chosen One paladins and joined him on his quest. It was one of the more enjoyable adventures I've been on, including facing off against the Styx Dragon. The names we chose for our paladins were Faramus and Howard Lightshore, and following that night we put those names on two of the Chosen Ones and added the skull of the Styx Dragon that we'd slain.

Of course, Faramus and Howard are long dead now, but you may occasionally see ghosts haunting the Bastion, souls whose life's work ended in failure...
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.