Trouble getting gems.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Party in the forest at midnight

Trouble getting gems.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Since the resource node update, I've had a hard time getting gems. More often than not, nodes yield zero gems.

I got a gem hammer today since they're supposed to be there for low str characters to help them get gems, but I can't even damage the node with it.

Could we get at least 1 gem drop from a node, so characters who are not str based and not melee can still get gems?

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Re: Trouble getting gems.

Post by Morderon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:09 pm

The bonus damage vs fixtures is applied after the attack roll/damage roll is made.

So if you're relying on the displayed damage roll to be accurate.. it's not going to be.

Vindicated

Post by Vindicated » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Morderon wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:09 pm
The bonus damage vs fixtures is applied after the attack roll/damage roll is made.

So if you're relying on the displayed damage roll to be accurate.. it's not going to be.
That doesn't really solve the problem of, more often than not, yielding zero gems when mining a node.

It's super annoying, and it feels like the mechanic isn't working properly since it was implemented. A lot of people in the 3.0 Discord have been reporting the same problem, but across all the newly implemented gathering tools.

Please consider either;

1. Fixing the yield on raw gem gathering.

2. Reverting the change.

3. Mix of above. Reverting changes until the code is objectively fixed.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Is there a way there could be some kind of feedback given to hammers so I know it's doing something? I'll go and beat on nodes more later to see what happens too.

It's also possible I'm really unlucky in getting gem drops. In which case, it would be really nice if gem nodes could be changed so they drop at least 1 gem. It's really disheartening to try again and again to get gems, and not get a single thing.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:51 pm

I never said it did. And the yield of gems is the same before the code additions, other then you now don't get gems for overkill; which isn't a problem if you're dex based as you wouldn't be overkilling anyways.

Sure as to the feedback when hammering things.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:24 pm

Morderon wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:51 pm
I never said it did. And the yield of gems is the same before the code additions, other then you now don't get gems for overkill; which isn't a problem if you're dex based as you wouldn't be overkilling anyways.

Sure as to the feedback when hammering things.
Did this extend to wood/ore as well? The removal of overkill resources?

If so, please consider putting it back, it was a nice perk for STR characters, and helped keep the economy running especially when it came to base staples (COAL).

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:08 am

It does and nah, much rather lower the damage threshold, bit more fair to all damage types/builds.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:08 pm

I'm not playing a dex class, I'm playing a wizard. What I used to do was send a fire elemental to attack the gem node, or use flame arrow. I tried casting greater magic weapon on the hammer but it can't be applied. I'll try flame weapon next.

Visibly the only time I can damage it is on criticals. I beat on the node for a few minutes and eventually did destroy it, so it might be doing invisible damage just fine. It might help if there was some sort of feedback that it is doing some kind of extra damage, like yellow text saying "The hammer chips at the stone."

I think it would still be nice if nodes could be guaranteed one gem per node. I've heard that ore has something like that, I've not played a smith though so I'm not sure.

Here's a combat log so you have an idea of what it looks like for a wizard:

msheeler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msheeler » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:37 pm

There were no changes made to the original way of gathering any resources. So, if you mine a gem node the same was as you used to then the results should be exactly the same, minus you can only get up to the maximum amount you were originally meant to get.

The new tools make mining easier as they guarantee that you will do a higher minimum damage to a node making mining easier and they actually slightly increase the chance of success with each roll.

WJLIII3

Post by WJLIII3 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:43 pm

msheeler wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:37 pm
There were no changes made to the original way of gathering any resources. So, if you mine a gem node the same was as you used to then the results should be exactly the same, minus you can only get up to the maximum amount you were originally meant to get.

The new tools make mining easier as they guarantee that you will do a higher minimum damage to a node making mining easier and they actually slightly increase the chance of success with each roll.
I feel like this comment would be way more impactful above the six-page combat log of no damage and no results.

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:39 pm

I honestly don't mine them at all, Mostly their a pain, Waste of time or disapointment.
When it comes to gems, I rather buy them or find them as loot. :/
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

msheeler
Contributor
Contributor

Post by msheeler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:58 am

WJLIII3 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:43 pm
I feel like this comment would be way more impactful above the six-page combat log of no damage and no results.
This is a case where you cannot believe what the combat log says. The script that runs this tallies up the damage that is dealt with each blow (adding in extra damage for using the proper tools) and then destroys the PLC when a given level of damage is dealt. If you were to read the HPs of the PLC after each blow was dealt you'd find that they never went down.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:25 am

Sure. That's still six pages of not a single gem drop using a tool advertised as helping increase gem drops for low-STR characters.

WJLIII3

Post by WJLIII3 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:00 pm

I mean, it might beuseful to test on another node. An Emerald node, after all, would not infrequently give 0 gems, even before the patch.