RPB Requirements for rewards

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Xerah

Re: RPB Requirements for rewards

Post by Xerah » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:12 pm

xanrael wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:58 pm
I'm picturing a new player that has heard of the reward system but misses that tiny tidbit that it applies to 20 RPB and above. They spend a week or two playing their first character as they learn about the culture and mechanics of Arelith and make it to level 16+ and decide that they're going to roll them and pick something that fits in better to the culture, maybe they'll use a minor or normal for a reduced ECL.

Then they -delete_character x2 and get nothing. The character and that chance for reward is gone in a "gotcha!" moment. They're not encouraged to RP better to enjoy the reward, just to feel like they got screwed and probably get ticked at the staff because their PC cannot be restored. Shift it to upon spending and while they still can't spend it on their 2nd character its not gone, they just have to be positively noticed. More likely to be an encouraging mechanic than the current implementation.
Would never happen because feedback tells you if you will qualify.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Xerah wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:12 pm
xanrael wrote:
I'm picturing a new player that has heard of the reward system but misses that tiny tidbit that it applies to 20 RPB and above. They spend a week or two playing their first character as they learn about the culture and mechanics of Arelith and make it to level 16+ and decide that they're going to roll them and pick something that fits in better to the culture, maybe they'll use a minor or normal for a reduced ECL.

Then they -delete_character x2 and get nothing. The character and that chance for reward is gone in a "gotcha!" moment. They're not encouraged to RP better to enjoy the reward, just to feel like they got screwed and probably get ticked at the staff because their PC cannot be restored. Shift it to upon spending and while they still can't spend it on their 2nd character its not gone, they just have to be positively noticed. More likely to be an encouraging mechanic than the current implementation.
Would never happen because feedback tells you if you will qualify.
Never might be a strong word, you and I both know to check the combat log and keep it open, a new player might not.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:23 pm

The problem with your issue is that can happen on any single thing in the server. There is only so much hand-holding one can do before it becomes something that is way over the top. Take ownership.

Frankly, that person is going to need to read the feedback to know they have to type it twice.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:28 pm

xanrael wrote:
How would they miss it? All instances of the reward system will be edited to reflect that it only applies to 20 RPB. The reward system isn't something you'd naturally find on other servers, nor is the -delete_character command. The reward system in itself is a huge and complex thing, I doubt the fact that it only applies to RPB 20+ would be missed, even if somebody was somehow experimenting with the RP and culture of the server and didn't find themselves at 20 RPB. And if you didn't get a reward for a character, you can remake them. The only reason you can't remake a character after deleting them is because you received a reward.
This is why you have to de-level characters first before using the -delete_character command.

To not get 20 RPB by the time you hit level 16 means that you have been doing nothing but writs, have barely introduced or spent any time interacting with people, or by some miracle NONE of the 20 DMs on the server have noticed you, or anybody has recommended you. Or your RP style is disruptive and not conducive to the server, and people are too polite to inform you of this. It only takes ONE dungeon master to decide that you're worthy of 20 RPB. As I said, it happens by complete accident. You'll be talking and get bumped up at random.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 pm

People miss things all the time, hear partial portions it through word of mouth, or forget elements with time. Given how ticked some veteran players get about quarter theft, PvP death, etc that is a lesser hit to them than this I figured it might be something to consider.

I just picture having an "if RPB < 20 else" line on character creation that would also prevent people that had been lowered to 10 RPB still spending rewards they gained when they were RPB 20. I don't understand why what's suggested wouldn't be an improvement.
Last edited by xanrael on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:43 pm

DM Senke wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:24 pm

Out of all the comments about people sitting at 10 RPR or this being punitive, we have received 1 request for RPR review.
I feel extreemly weird about asking others their RPR.
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Reallylongunneededplayername wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:43 pm
DM Senke wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:24 pm

Out of all the comments about people sitting at 10 RPR or this being punitive, we have received 1 request for RPR review.
I feel extreemly weird about asking others their RPR.
That's strange. If you want to limit yourself because of that, I suppose that's on you.

Or just recommend them anyway without knowing.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:47 pm

xanrael wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 pm
People miss things all the time, hear partial portions it through word of mouth, or forget elements with time. Given how ticked some veteran players get about quarter theft, PvP death, etc that is a lesser hit to them than this I figured it might be something to consider.

I just picture having an "if RPB < 20 else" line on character creation that would also prevent people that had been lowered to 10 RPB still spending rewards they gained when they were RPB 20. I don't understand why what's suggested wouldn't be an improvement.
So here's the thing.

For a new player to make this error, they would need to:
  • Read up on the wiki or forums about the reward system, or be told about it by a more experienced player, to know what the reward system was and how it worked.
  • They would need to learn how the -delete_character command worked and to type it twice.
  • They would need to be completely unaware of the fact that they were 10 RPB and have not read anything about the RPB system either.
  • They would need a character that qualified for a reward when rolled, and therefore was at minimum level 16. Which implies at least several weeks being spent playing on the server and interacting with it.
  • They would need to ignore the final warning given when the -delete_character command was typed for the first time.
Let's face it, it would take a staggeringly oblivious person to ignore all of the chances given here just to roll their level 16 for a minor reward that they probably don't understand very well in the first place.

The people that try to farm major rewards at 10 RPR know exactly what they are doing. And the server staff know what they are doing when they made this rule to try to stop it. This does affect new players, but not your typical new player. If there was no reward, they are probably able to just remake the character and try again for 20 RPB.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:01 pm

I've promoted Arelith even when I'm taking a break from it to people and answered questions about it, including some reward stuff. If I wasn't currently playing I wouldn't know of the change, and probably 3 months down the road I'll have forgotten about it because it doesn't apply to me. I doubt I'm the only person that's done this. They could learn enough through word of mouth and all it would take would be a minimized combat log.

My question is why wouldn't you support a slight change that would also stop someone that knows how the server works, is capable of RPing to get a 20 which as has been stated isn't exactly a high bar, then does stuff to lose it but can still spend rewards they've already gained?

I'll leave off at that as I'm just pushing the same points.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:17 pm

I'm not even talking about new players, just someone who could've been demoted to 10 for an infraction or not living up to the 20+ standard. I've known people of 20, 30 and 40 rpb sometimes turn off their brains while they mindlessly level through pre-epic content, so someone who was docked to 0 or 10 could well have the potential to be a good roleplayer, but he chose not to during his leveling, and only started being "good" again at +20 or whichever level they like.

My question is if the DMs will take into account how he leveled, or if they'll not mind so long they play to +20 standards.
:)

DM Senke

Post by DM Senke » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:47 pm

Cortex wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:17 pm
I'm not even talking about new players, just someone who could've been demoted to 10 for an infraction or not living up to the 20+ standard. I've known people of 20, 30 and 40 rpb sometimes turn off their brains while they mindlessly level through pre-epic content, so someone who was docked to 0 or 10 could well have the potential to be a good roleplayer, but he chose not to during his leveling, and only started being "good" again at +20 or whichever level they like.

My question is if the DMs will take into account how he leveled, or if they'll not mind so long they play to +20 standards.
You are describing a situation that does not occur often, if ever. We as a team do not sit in Discord discussing players who chain grind to get to 30. We view RPR holistically and are not going to dock it without a warning to the player most of the time (barring egregious situations).

Let's say a 20 RPR player generates a new character and spends a long weekend grinding them to 26 with very little RP. We are not concerned as much with this situation because the player has proven to someone along the way that they value RP.

If we notice a player is solely grinding, we will often pull the player aside and try to coach them. We may warn them. But almost invariably they will not see their RPR ghost-dropped.

I understand players do not have the context of what goes on behind the curtain, but I can assure you all that we are not playing a game of "Gotcha!". Our goal is never to jump to punishment as a means of behavior modification if another option is available.

I can sympathize in some small way with the new player who deletes and is barred from a reward, but often that proves just as valuable a learning curve as others. That situation is not our goal, but we can't hand hold a player from tripping over their own feet, proverbially.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 pm

I just wanted to say I think this is a rather great change.
I can understand many of the concerns, but I think there's fair counters to most of them.

Snipped segment: See DM Senke's above reply for more or less the same thing straight from a DM. (I got ninja posted)

It's the excessive things that are really bad and liable to get you in RPR trouble.
Things such as using // while in a party to coordinate the encounter, or run grinding while repeatedly using especially 'gamey' terms such as 'lets grind this spot for a bit', referring to every boss as 'the/a boss', or things like sticking an item in a chest and bashing it to 'test if it destroys the loot' or running past a party in the area to steal the dungeon instead of stopping and talking to the people who are there. (all of these are things I've seen happen).

As DM Senke says above, warnings are what they usually do first anyways.

And for the people who do these things excessively and do lose their RPR, I think they deserve to be unable to roll their characters until they start performing at a higher standard.
If people's sole goal is to think of themselves, and not any other players nor the story of the server, why should they be able to be rewarded for it? I don't think they should be- which is why I like this change.

And if you do feel your RPR was wrongly removed; send a request to have the incident reviewed to the Head DM.
I sent a request to review a DM action I thought highly questionable in the past, and I can say the reply I got was very professional and well looked into.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 pm

I try to be hyperbolic but gating awards behind RPR was literally the reason why they got rid of Planetouched at 30.

So now we're pivoting back to that.

I don't disagree with it. In fact, I agree with it. But it just continues to undermine my faith in the award system, because the impression I always seem to get it is

> people who RP well should get awards (particularly the 5%)

But I feel like the reward/sacrifice structure is, to some effect, incongruent with what a lot of the best roleplayers usually want.

I'd love to know the justification between 20 vs 30 RPR. Is it because less than 20 is seen as detrimental to the server environment? And thus the majority at 20 RPR are those who've "passed the test" and can be rewarded for their roleplay?

It just seems like a position where having a 10 RPR thus means you're inadequate to participate in the sacrifice system. I don't know if tying behaviour (grind, -roll, grind) to an RPR tier is problematic or not. Maybe there's numbers in the background that can justify the change, as some of the DMs have been saying, I guess.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:56 pm

Beyond the 20 RPR cutoff that keeps out the rabble there's no award for quality roleplay. A player who tells an epic story on a single character over a year has a much smaller chance at a 5% than someone who burns through a competently RPed but forgettable character every few weeks.

Even with an RPR limiter there are too many characters who only exist to be deleted as soon as possible. Cutting off the 10 RPRs probably helps but IMO this change really just shines a light on what a flawed system this is.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:53 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 pm
I'd love to know the justification between 20 vs 30 RPR. Is it because less than 20 is seen as detrimental to the server environment? And thus the majority at 20 RPR are those who've "passed the test" and can be rewarded for their roleplay?
It is considered achievable with the bare minimum of effort. Think about the requirements of 20 RPR here.
  • Stays in character at all times
  • Their RP is not disruptive to those around them and blends with the server
How much hand-holding could you reasonable do? What reduction could we make to that, to make it even easier?
Sea Shanties wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:56 pm
Beyond the 20 RPR cutoff that keeps out the rabble there's no award for quality roleplay. A player who tells an epic story on a single character over a year has a much smaller chance at a 5% than someone who burns through a competently RPed but forgettable character every few weeks.

Even with an RPR limiter there are too many characters who only exist to be deleted as soon as possible. Cutting off the 10 RPRs probably helps but IMO this change really just shines a light on what a flawed system this is.

This is unfortunately a step in the wrong direction. We already have people who feel like their personal stories deserve more credit. Good roleplay is a reward in itself. It doesn't need incentives, it's the entire reason we are here. The RPR system appears to want to give incentives to group RP instead of personal RP that never sees the light of day, but in some regards, people regard that as an easily abused system as well.
CosmicOrderV wrote:

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 am

It could be argued that 20 to 40 should be made into one, I've met numerous people thorought the years from all RPB pools that do not like the gap between 20, 30 and 40. Be it because it makes leveling with different RPB friends more annoying, or the elitism that it causes (lower people feeling unjustly rewarded, and higher people disliking being put on a pedestal, as if they have expectations to meet).

Personally, I've long since grown past caring for it, I play with people from all RPB pools, and none of us think anything differently from the others over the RPB, nor do we have the idea we deserve better. But I cannot deny the appeal of turning 20-40 into one category for the sake of simplification and removing the idea of "he rps gudder, u not rp so gud" that it propagates.
:)

malcolm_mountainslayer

Post by malcolm_mountainslayer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:37 am

Sockss wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:22 am
This change seems weird.

If it's to slow the rate of rewards, but the :majority of players have 20 RPR" anyway and it's "very easy to obtain", then it's not going to slow the rate of rewards impactfully.

The problem with the system in place is that it incentivises high turnover of characters and minimum RP.

Putting a tiny band aid on it won't solve anything, especially when this particular one pushes things towards dangerous server-killing elitism (rather than taking up 6 blocks of inventory space).

As an alternative system, because I don't want to just roll my eyes and walk away, why not:

Only have a 1% major chance at 30, 26 no longer includes it (increases length of time for each attempt)

Remove gold bonus incentive. (Relatively easy to obtain, requires little interaction)

Add playtime incentive in its place. 1%/100 RL hours up to a cap of 9%. (Doesn't count afk ticks where you wouldn't receive rpr xp and it'll be very easy to spot anyone trying to farm this!)

Add a DM system in which characters performing great RP / events are awarded a small extra % roll bonus with a cap. (They're subject to a DM vote on whether they're applied. They could even be shown when the character in question is rolled as a final thumbs up to them!)

E.G. Received bonus 2% for your excellent dragon event!

Major rewards would require bigger investment in this system, RP is rewarded. Greater and below remain around the same.

I like these ideas.

In arelith's early years there was this sense of "not being cool enough" with the rpr 30 lockoff content. I hated being self aware of that stupid score, it felt like it was a highschool competion. The vision was that RP ratings were supposed to be dynamic and, or a freebie bonus.

I never even reached to lvl 30 before with how much I off and on play, don't have time to grind etc. Bur when rpr blocks got changed to the reward system, it actaully made me really happy even though it benefited me nothing. It was so freeing, to just RP for sake of RP and not be upset or worry if a DM will ever see my best moments or not.

When i got a new cd key (had not played for years and no longer had my original copy thay was for Mac actaully, i learned to install Windows expansions on that baby just to play with you guys), it took one of those prestige class token quests to get noticed by a DM to get back to my usual 20 (i essentially have flatlined at 20 for a decade). And to be honest, I know i dont play enough to get higher and never mind. But now, even though I have rpr 20, i suddenly fear the subjective perception of the gods. I have never had the joy of rolling a character yet.

If they want to slow down custom requests major reward stuff, then make that required 20 rpr. I don't see why any of the other rewards requires any kind of rpr (roleplayrating, I have no clue what rpb means, I just know what we use to call it).

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:56 am

I normally wouldn't complain about this kind of thing, but this severely punishes the very small but active portion of the playerbase that lives in weird timezones.

For example, I live on an island in the middle of the Pacific (Guam) so I've been on for exactly one DM event due to the timezone and my work schedule, and I had to leave halfway through it.

So now, for a point system I never previously cared about, I (and anyone else in a weird timezone) will have to get up in the middle of the night if I want to attend dm events or be on during a more active part of the day to better my chance of getting RPR bumped up
Last edited by garrbear758 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:36 am

I think you guys are overreacting, this change seems pretty basic to me. I'm not a fan of the rpr system (mostly because I am competitive and consider my lack of a 40rpr (or 30 for that matter!) to be an oversite as a result), and I would much rather app for a cool concept then have to roll for a reward (I don't play enough to grind goblins and will likely never get a major reward, even if I have no idea what I would use it for at this point). But it is the system in place, and it makes total sense to me to not want to have someone who doesn't even bother to try and fit in with how the server is played on a grind for better ecl and then looping it into an even better ecl or whatever, as it sort of defeats the purpose of the rpr speeding up your leveling.

Could it have been presented better? Well, that's pretty much true of most of the changes on the server, that's not a strong point of the dev team. But give me a bunch of dudes who constantly get things done over a bunch of talkers any day, I can figure out what they meant :)

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:57 am

garrbear758 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:56 am
I normally wouldn't complain about this kind of thing, but this severely punishes the very small but active portion of the playerbase that lives in weird timezones.
Second'd.

I love the server, and I love the attentiveness of the team to content; but I'd hate to see someone losing out on this front. I'm in a similar timezone, but the college schedule thankfully lets me catch DMs when I need them (which hasn't been awfully often, since so little is gated behind the need for DM attention - which is a real strong point of the server). For sure, I'll message the team if I think someone deserves an RPR boost; but it's often hard to tell without out and out asking a player.

It's the same issue for convoluted nested crafting recipes (it took me two weeks to find a carpenter) and, often, slower progression owing to a lack of players to party with.

My complaints'd drop right off if RPR20 was the default. If having RPR10 effectively bars someone from experiencing one of the server's systems, then why not treat it as the remedial measure it appears to be rather than the default? Good faith seems like a sensible thing to assume of people joining a roleplaying server.

Tangentially, I'm 100% behind the roll-for-rewards system, and think it's about as close to fair as it's possible to get; while neatly side-stepping the inevitable extra workload and favouritism accusations that come swirling in with an application based system.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 am

I have to say, this change comes as a surprise.

It seemed to me that a lot has been done in the past years to dismantle RPR, and this comes out of nowhere with no real explanation or precedent.

It was my understanding that the true nature of the rewards system was to encourage character turn-over. Rewarding good roleplayers was part of it, but secondary. So, the slice of the playerbase least able to restrain from emotional entanglement with their character and be willing to let go (based on what a formal designation of a 10 RPR says about the roleplayer) now have no incentive whatsoever. That seems like a big mistake, because 'avatarring' was prevalent for a long while even with the old rules, and it is uniquely toxic and damaging to the environments where it is found.

I think reward-grinding occurs at all roleplay ratings (type-A roleplayers are also type-A grinders), and it's not a phenomenon I knew to exist until the introduction of more mechanized reward rolls. With less human oversight, players adapt. I observed how it began as a completely taboo topic, to a perfectly reasonable use of one's time that only old, out of the way types could take complaint with.

All in all, I don't know what to make of it. It seems like a reactionary change to a cultural problem agitated by many factors. On one hand, we'll have to suffer fewer anime half-dragons and angsty tieflings, but on the other, I foresee a rise in wandering epics.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:35 pm

I'm... honestly not thinking that this will cause much of a 'wandering epic' problem.

See the main reason why people don't swap/roll characters, and say with one 'epic' is investment.

Investment in gear, xp, goods, character interactions, property- ect.

Arelith leveling system is fast enough now, that I find fewer and fewer people tend to get that 'invested' over levels. So if you're just here to kill stuff and level up, then people tend to cycle through different characters as they try new things out. Or else get bored.

Most of the time, when people stick with characters, it's at least partly due to the interactions, the roleplay, the 'nieche' they feel their character has made in the world. (Again, not ALL the time, but a lot of the time.)

If I see a character roleplaying regularly, and often - and roleplaying things other than 'hi do you want to go hunting with me?' 'hi i want you to make me a sword.' 'hi, wanna buy this magic item,?' - then I'll often raise them to a 20. For a 20 we just require a feeling that you're playing a living, breathing character. That you rp more than just the bare essentials of leveling ect.

If you do that, and do that on a character long enough that people /notice/ that you're a 'wandering epic' then you're probably due to be raised to an rpr 20 anyway.

And if your rp is so basic that even at a level 30 you're playing the same character, who does very little other than silently fight through dungeons with minimal interaction and zero characterisation - do we really feel we should be encouraging that?
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

time_limited

Post by time_limited » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:45 pm

I really regret reading through this topic as it made me feel like a player of Category B.. And as some posts mentioned above as "rabble" .

This RPR thing here is not working... If the intention was to recognize players who are doing good for the server and involve other/produce RP lines for others. It doesn't work for us whom play at strange hours or play on a shattered play schedules due to RL. Even in such circumstances we can contribute greatly yet we are not seen and now seems we are starting to get gated out.

I'm a player at 10 RPR now, actually I noticed it first today after reading through here.

That's an RPR 10 my dear fellow players after playing for 8 months on this server and doings things like:
- keeping to IC on my characters
- learning how to speak dwarf-way
- participating in the Andunor war as a sabotagyst
- being an active member of 5 factions
- being a leader of two factions including one which through my own planning, actions and negotiations under my direction have taken over the Andunor City Port
- formed alliances with multiple different groups
- lead events and meetings which spanned for RL hours

And now I read here that getting to RPR20 is easy and players who deserve it get and those who not dont.
No its not easy if you are a casual player who is playing in wierd hours.
No it's not easy if your main play time is used for writing directional messages to about 17 players and management of faction directions and negotiations.

Sorry for the bitterness of this post yes I know it is bittery but I want to point You out through this that the RPR reward system is flawed and certainly naming other people as not deserving or rabble because we play at strange hours is not something nice.

As for the feedback to this change:
I do not like to be gated out of content because I play strange hours. Thank you.
Plays as:
Brega Dwarf-Smasher (active)
Longinus Dwarf-Smasher

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:06 pm

time_limited wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:45 pm
I really regret reading through this topic as it made me feel like a player of Category B.. And as some posts mentioned above as "rabble" .
See:
DM Senke wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:08 am
If you feel there is a player at 10 RPR that is undeserved, feel free to drop a line in DM chat, or contact me directly at DM Senke#5198. This does not guarantee we will review you right that moment, but I do keep a running list of folks to review.
There isn't a single person in this thread, in favour or against the change, who would refer to a player in your situation as "rabble". The server is predominately US players, and often keeps me up far into the weird hours of the morning as somebody in EU timezones. And I've accepted that I miss out on a lot because of that, or that I will be encouraged into DM quests when I'm meant to be in bed, sleeping.

Point is, you already know you're in a weird timezone. Everybody outside of the US is in a weird timezone, according to the server. There are ways of ensuring that your character has been noticed by the DMs. One of them is contacting them directly. Another way is to have your character leave letters on noticeboards and have a presence, even when offline. You may not even need to contact DMs if that is the case, however they can likely only see your RPR if you are online at the same time as them.
CosmicOrderV wrote:

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by R0GUE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Mr_Rieper wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:06 pm
time_limited wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:45 pm
See:
DM Senke wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:08 am
If you feel there is a player at 10 RPR that is undeserved, feel free to drop a line in DM chat, or contact me directly at DM Senke#5198. This does not guarantee we will review you right that moment, but I do keep a running list of folks to review.
There isn't a single person in this thread, in favour or against the change, who would refer to a player in your situation as "rabble". The server is predominately US players, and often keeps me up far into the weird hours of the morning as somebody in EU timezones. And I've accepted that I miss out on a lot because of that, or that I will be encouraged into DM quests when I'm meant to be in bed, sleeping.

Point is, you already know you're in a weird timezone. Everybody outside of the US is in a weird timezone, according to the server. There are ways of ensuring that your character has been noticed by the DMs. One of them is contacting them directly. Another way is to have your character leave letters on noticeboards and have a presence, even when offline. You may not even need to contact DMs if that is the case, however they can likely only see your RPR if you are online at the same time as them.
I really didn't want to comment about this topic, because I could sense it's controversial. I even just made it a point yesterday to send a message to the DM's about an excellent Roleplayer I encountered (who for all I know is already RPR 40 or something), figuring that was the best way to help out the situation.

But I do have to post in response to what you just told time_limited, that one of your solutions is basically to reach out to the DM's about yourself, which for many people is really, really against their nature. I am one of those people. I find it nearly impossible to brag about myself or my accomplishments, and would have never dreamed to ask a DM to bump me to the next RPR. In fact, I kind of assumed doing so went against the spirit of the rules, that if everyone was out there being a squeaky wheel asking for grease, the DM's would just ignore everyone. I think there has to be a better solution to tell people than just "tell a DM you want a bump" or "hope you get noticed by leaving letters on noticeboards". Limited _time told you in his post already, he writes tons of communications, I'm sure he's leaving letters on boards. As someone with limited time windows to play, I can relate even though I am lucky to have gotten moved up to 20.

I think the best solution would be, as someone mentioned earlier, start everyone off at RPR 20, and then bump them down to 10 if they show habitual disregard for RP. To me someone who keeps by themselves and doesn't even interact much with others isn't even a problem child, they may just be RP-ing a hermit or a monk on a journey of self-exploration. To me, the only ones who should be getting that bump down are those who completely ignore others to the point of cycling past them in a dungeon, or those who speak OOCly, not once on accident like we've almost all done, but fairly regularly.

I will continue to do my best to point out others who exhibit good RP though until such a change happens. I hope the DM's don't mind a flood of incoming RP recommendations.