Resource cost on pariah system?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Party in the forest at midnight

Resource cost on pariah system?

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:05 am

I was chatting with people and there's a lot of confusion about the pariah system. What is the resource cost on a city for having someone made pariah? Or is there no resource cost? Is there a limit to how many people a city can pariah?

Hazard

Re: Resource cost on pariah system?

Post by Hazard » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:50 am

Pariah just means they're not protected by laws, right? Aren't they just names on a board somewhere? Wouldn't cost anything.

... I see what you mean about confusion, lol. Now I'm confused too!

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:32 am

No, a pariah system was added where mechanically people who are set to pariah in a settlement cannot purchase from NPC and player shops, cannot buy things from the trade tzar, can only use ships to LEAVE but not come to a settlement, and cannot participate in any citizen services other than voting.

That's why I'm wondering if there's any limit to it, or if it costs the city anything to maintain it.

Here's the wiki entry on it: http://wiki.arelith.com/Settlements#Pariah

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:09 am

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:32 am
No, a pariah system was added where mechanically people who are set to pariah in a settlement cannot purchase from NPC and player shops, cannot buy things from the trade tzar, can only use ships to LEAVE but not come to a settlement, and cannot participate in any citizen services other than voting.

That's why I'm wondering if there's any limit to it, or if it costs the city anything to maintain it.

dont think they can vote either
Yes I can sign

monkeywithstick
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by monkeywithstick » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:01 am

Ebonstar wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:09 am
Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:32 am

dont think they can vote either
Pariahs can vote
Characters: Izzy, short for Isabel. Shaena Ash.

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:17 pm

Dont you dare to buy this bottle of water at this shop you criminal!!!
But...dont forget to vote.

Bibliophile

Post by Bibliophile » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:45 pm

I asked in this thread and was told that it didn't cost resources.
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=24271

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:05 pm

Nobs wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:17 pm
Dont you dare to buy this bottle of water at this shop you criminal!!!
But...dont forget to vote.
I think it's more a case of someone being a known sex offender getting refused service at a bar but is still legally entitled to vote.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:49 pm

i think it should cost resources because it is mechanically enforced. it shouldn't cost as much as exiles, but there should be a cost. pariah systems were enforced purely by characters before and thusly RP was required; if you have a "pariah and forget" system now, there should be a cost to make it somewhat prohibitive.
Intelligence is too important

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:29 am

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I imagine the dev team is waiting to see if it's abused before they do that?

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:34 am

I think it's fine without a resource cost, because I can't think of what resources it would cost to have shop keepers be like "Ew. No. Get out."

If anything we're saving money and resources because they can't make use of the settlement services.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:12 am

I have to agree the concept of you can vote but you can't sail to or even buy anything in town to me just seems odd.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:18 am

Hazard wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:34 am
I think it's fine without a resource cost, because I can't think of what resources it would cost to have shop keepers be like "Ew. No. Get out."

If anything we're saving money and resources because they can't make use of the settlement services.
From a gameplay standpoint any power that you get to enforce via the power of scripting and NPCs, rather than actual PC manpower, should have a resource cost behind it, purely to represent the expenditure of resource it takes to have your settlement performing these actions on your behalf.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 am

Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:29 am
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I imagine the dev team is waiting to see if it's abused before they do that?
Yeah, I think that's likely the thinking too.
And I get it's kinda wierd that you can be a pariah and still vote, but I think that is prehaps part of the reason why there isn't a limit. Let's say you wanted to make every single halforc a pariah in your town, you could do that -but you'd risk annoying a LOT of people who surely wouldn't vote for you next election. Likewise without a resource cost it could be used as a way of effectlvy stopping any opposition to you next election. So whilst yeah, allowing voting for them seems wierd, over all it's a good decision.