Neverwinter Nights EE coming to consoles

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Dr. B

Neverwinter Nights EE coming to consoles

Post by Dr. B » Fri May 31, 2019 9:10 pm

https://www.vg247.com/2019/05/31/baldur ... -consoles/

Apparently the multiplayer function will be included. No idea how this will impact Arelith, since consoles don't have keyboards, and I don't want to hear people's terrible vocal impersonations of their characters.

Dreams

Re: Neverwinter Nights EE coming to consoles

Post by Dreams » Fri May 31, 2019 10:17 pm

Pre-emptive blocking of the service from connecting to Arelith?

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Fri May 31, 2019 10:19 pm

Does this mean I need to practice my Scottish accent so I can play a Dwarf?

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri May 31, 2019 10:21 pm

So this is why we haven't had a patch in months to even fix simple things like having a functioning history thing in the server list.

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Fri May 31, 2019 10:56 pm

Fixing the memory leak VFXes cause would be neat too. Don't remember it ever being this bad in 1.69, because it wasn't. (ツ)

Basementfellow

Post by Basementfellow » Fri May 31, 2019 10:57 pm

inb4 locked by page 3
Iceborn wrote:I shall very inefficiently murder with a spoon the next individual that mentions Shrek.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Fri May 31, 2019 11:39 pm

I'd be surprised if there was a ton of people on consoles waiting for an NwN release. It seems like a weird game to play on console especially when the like Current MMO Neverwinter nights is also console.

I don't think it will effect us much. I also don't know what the push is to put PC games on phones and console devices. I agree they should fix major issues with their current Enhanced game as it is. At this. Point I think they likely made the decision because fixing bugs doesn't generate revenue but scooping up a handful of players on console does.

Inb4 bug fixes is a purchasable DLC

Never winter nights Enhanced enhancements
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:20 am

The reason is: income. Any amount of it. Otherwise they'll fold & there will be no patches.

I've honestly considered purchasing NWN mobile just so I can use crafting points on the go lol

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:24 am

I will admit I do have the mobile version I had a super old gift card and it is handy for small things

But I would trade mobile for less crashes >:(
I am not on a team.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:49 am

Without significant improvements to the visual appearance of NWN I can't see a console release affecting us at all really. I'm not sure many people buy top-end machines to play 20 year old games. Perhaps for the single player campaigns, but for multiplayer? I'm not convinced.

NauVaseline

Post by NauVaseline » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:01 am

TBF, there have been a lot of Toolset updates released, they're just not an official patch (yet).
New Features

Added support for visual transforms
The new options are available in Adjust Location dialog
You can use Ctrl+Mousewheel to quickly scale objects
Visual transforms currently only work on creatures, items, doors and non-static placeables
Added support for opening multiple areas in tabs
Tabs are disabled by default. To enable them, go to Toolset settings -> Area editor -> Open areas in tabs, then restart the Toolset.
To close a tab, right-click on the tab and choose 'Close' in the context menu.
Inventory editor improvements - added key bindings:
Move selection with arrow keys
Set Infinite flag with 'I' key
Delete items with 'Delete' key
After deleting, it now switches to the next item in the list
etc

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:29 am

Keyboards have been a thing on consoles for years.

It's literally a non-issue.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:23 am

literally no one cares about this

beamdog even went on record as saying the consoles will have bugfixes and changes, and those changes "may" be ported back to the PC versions lmao

face it we're not gettin anymore patches and we all got swindled.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:36 am

The toolset changes are neat. I think Beamdogs best bet is to stabilize the game then give player devs as many versatile tools as possible to keep the game alive.

We did get some cool stuff. If EE wasn't released we'd likely never have a Hak Arelith. The auto downloader is cool and the server list being back is kinda neat. So I mean there are bonuses but certainly not as much as there should have or could have been considering everyone bought the game again.
I am not on a team.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:16 am

Royal Blood wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:36 am
The toolset changes are neat. I think Beamdogs best bet is to stabilize the game then give player devs as many versatile tools as possible to keep the game alive.

We did get some cool stuff. If EE wasn't released we'd likely never have a Hak Arelith. The auto downloader is cool and the server list being back is kinda neat. So I mean there are bonuses but certainly not as much as there should have or could have been considering everyone bought the game again.
Honestly liked the game better when I didn't crash every 30 min. HAKs are cool, but we had them before; Anyone competent at file management could use them. The server list was never nescessary. We had nwnlist.scry to make up for it.

Its hard not to feel gypped.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:25 am

consoles are being done by another company with Beamdog oversight, we are getting alot more in the near future. The 64 bit and renderer upgrade just takes alot of time to get right
Yes I can sign

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:33 am

TimeAdept wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:23 am
literally no one cares about this

beamdog even went on record as saying the consoles will have bugfixes and changes, and those changes "may" be ported back to the PC versions lmao

face it we're not gettin anymore patches and we all got swindled.
swindled really? the cost of a bad pizza and your saying you got swindled.

Come on now, EE has done alot for the game and its extended life that 1.69 didnt have a chance to provide, simply because it was all leaky pipes that the dev team had to constantly create work arounds for.

I dont remember everyone in 2005 clamored for being swindled out of $50 dollars each, when we had to wait for entirely new expansions.

Give Beamdog time to do what they said, before the gallows are put together.
Yes I can sign

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:28 am

I guess we'll see what happens. I agree EE had helped extend the life of the game but the crashing issues are really abyssmal. And this is way better. Remember when a chunk of fellas couldn't even log in without crashing everytime? The initial launch was poor. I think beamdog really under-delivered

As far as Haks go yeah Nwn always had them but not Arelith pointedly because of accesiability at least that's what's been explained before. So the auto donwloadet is neat. It changes things specifically for Arelith

Using the pizza thing, you pay for a complete pizza you don't pay for the crust then maybe they'll add the sauce and cheese 2 years later.

They should have put out a more complete product. Namely ensuring the thing runs without constant crashing.

That said, do people crash outside of multiplayer?
Last edited by Royal Blood on Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not on a team.

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:23 am

Irongron wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:49 am
Without significant improvements to the visual appearance of NWN I can't see a console release affecting us at all really. I'm not sure many people buy top-end machines to play 20 year old games. Perhaps for the single player campaigns, but for multiplayer? I'm not convinced.
I hate to disagree but vintage games are a huge (and I mean, huge) business on consoles. Including multiplayer. And despite what people here seem to think, it's as easy to plug a mouse and keyboard into a PS4 or Xbox One as a PC.

I don't think there's going to be thousands and thousands of barbarians breaking down the gates but this could certainly bring some new players.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:53 am

I'm with Irongron on this one, most people interested in these games likely already have them for their PC.
We'll likely see some people get it, but no more than we did with the Mobile release.

As for the keyboard thing there have been a lot of mouse and keyboards made specifically for consoles just within the last few months, it is becoming a thing, but again I don't think it'll impact arelith all that much anyway.

On another note though it /would/ be nice if they fixed at least the main problems with EE, ie the MASSIVE FPS and crashing issues, before focusing so much on multi platform releases like they are!!

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:14 am

Orian_666 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:53 am
On another note though it /would/ be nice if they fixed at least the main problems with EE, ie the MASSIVE FPS and crashing issues, before focusing so much on multi platform releases like they are!!
I really hope the console release does bring in a lot of players, not for Arelith, but because of exactly this. Given how few people seem to play NWN I'm surprised they have many resources to devote to developing it at all. I think coming from a community that doesn't care for the commercial aspect it can sometimes be hard to remember that unless they're going to risk heavy investment they can only really spend money that the game itself generates.

Personally I'm really happy with the development NWN has received, not because it met my hopes for the game, but because a few year ago I would never have thought anything would happen ever again. There's also some nice things on the horizon, irrespective of the consoles.

Ultimately though, in order to see huge improvements to the game, it would first have to attract a great many more players - and this is a Catch 22 situation.

Orian_666

Post by Orian_666 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:28 am

Yea, that is a very good point.
More players = more sales = more resources to fix the problems.
All in good time I suppose.

naturaly

Post by naturaly » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:51 am

It’s been a lot of “good time” already.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:10 pm

Irongron wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:14 am
Ultimately though, in order to see huge improvements to the game, it would first have to attract a great many more players - and this is a Catch 22 situation.
The main issue is that if you get those players and things are a buggy, crashy mess, those players leave. The EnHaNcEmEnT problems people are facing where the game crashes constantly need to be fixed, and fast, or its going to kill the game eventually.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:40 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:10 pm
The main issue is that if you get those players and things are a buggy, crashy mess, those players leave. The EnHaNcEmEnT problems people are facing where the game crashes constantly need to be fixed, and fast, or its going to kill the game eventually.
Sure, I'm merely pointing out why I think those things aren't getting fixed. Naturally I have a longer list than most people of problems with NWN I would love to be fixed, especially related to performance and the toolset. That players get booted so often, or can't join the game without making a unique player name (and not being told that is the cause) is of great concern to me, as our the areas I made before the game was 'enhanced' which now suffer terribly, despite being perfectly playable before (Shadow Plane).

I know this has been said before, but the very best way to get these things fixed is using Beamdog's process. I certainly can't get them to do that work for us, and who knows how long we'll have the luxury of a professional team to fix problems with the game.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/6 ... -in-nwn-ee

With bug reports it is really volume that matters. Big or small please make that report, whether you are crashing, if you see tiles that are off (water especially can look blocky), if you get an area slowdown. If just fifty of our players took the time to report the slowdown in the Shadow Plane I am near certain they'd put someone on it. Any of us that are serious about NWN and its future should make filing these reports our hobby!