Raids, Unauthorized, authorized....

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Raids, Unauthorized, authorized....

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:15 am

By illegal, I meant according to IC laws, in most civilized settlements.
It does seem as poor sport to kill someone in broad daylight right in front of a bunch of NPC guards, and then get away with like they saw nothing. Isn't that considered a form of godmodding?

Reallylongunneededplayername

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:24 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:15 am
By illegal, I meant according to IC laws, in most civilized settlements.
It does seem as poor sport to kill someone in broad daylight right in front of a bunch of NPC guards, and then get away with like they saw nothing. Isn't that considered a form of godmodding?
Well, Their not just guards, Their sentient beings with lives!**

Many folk here go around thinking and bringing laws and logics and politic views of our time,
But (To me) It is more the darkages kind of time with a sugar layer over it.
What I'm saying, If you get into a fight infront a guard, That guard might think " Eh, He had it comming" or " I better not meddle with that guy" Honestly, If I came in such a situation I often tried to bribe the guard going " You saw nothing".

**I once followed an NPC and say him enter a house, Curiousity over took me and I lockpicked my way in.. He had a home, fitting to his job and everthing. ((huge kudo's to the Dev team for that))
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:45 pm

I get where you're coming from here. And as I've said, I would certainly consider it poor rp in many circumstances, but I don't think that it could/should be considered a rules breach.

The thing is - as DMs we have to balence between 'respecting the integrity of the setting.' and 'making sure players can make their own story.'

A raid - a mass group of a hostile group attacking a settlment, is really somthing any npc should respond to. But I worry that if we start micromanaging npcs reactions, then we end up quashing player stories and, more to the point, having to take into account a million small other factors we just can't effectivly check.

For example let's say Evil mc Cyric Face walked into Cordor and said to a paladin of Tyr 'Haya Joe! You're the husband of that woman I tortured to death yesterday arn't you? Haha, she screamed so bad. We had such fun. Tyr sucks by the way, he's awful. really lame god! Why don't you worship a proper god. Here let me give you the details of how I beat up your wife.'
In response to this tirade, the Tyran attacks the Cyrist guy in front of some guards.
How would the guards react to such a situation?
Would they favour the Cyricst because he was defending himself?
Maybe they're good and thus would side with the Tyrran
Maybe they fear the Cyracist (who has a reputation) and wouldn't want to get in trouble
Maybe the current government would not even let the Cyracist in if they could, but isn't that what the exile mechanic is for?
Maybe the cyracist is in disguise as someone else?
Maybe the Tyrran is in fact an awful tyrran and had an argument with the government lately?

Just jumping in with 'No you can't pvp in front of npcs' seems a little hamfisted, and doesn't take into acount a lot of other factors, and moreover it walks all over player stories.

With Raids (which are generally mass pvp events) then yes, this is something most guards really should react to. Especialy if npcs might be attacked (defending themselves really is a no-brainer, that's why we ask people not to attack npcs in settlments) but beyond that, it's best to approach the situation with a fairly light hand, IMO, and consider the matter a point of RPR for the most part.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:25 pm

DM GrumpyCat wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:45 pm
[Grumpy's wise words]
That's actually very useful and good to know! =) Obviously it wouldn't be fair to demand of the DMs to be eyes and ears of NPCs virtually everywhere. I personally still wouldn't attack someone in front of a guard unless it was done in self-defense.

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:34 am

Subutai wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:25 pm
On the subject of notifying the DMs 1 RL week in advance of a raid, I understand (and agree with) the need of the DM team to assess the situation. An entire RL week, though, seems like a huge amount. That's 70 days in game, which is more than two months. The entire situation IG surrounding a conflict can change dramatically over the course of a day, let alone a week. A raid that was extremely advantageous to one group a week ago might be a disastrously bad idea a week later.

I completely understand and support the desire of the DM team to assess the situation and coordinate, but 7 RL days is a tremendous amount of time.
Dont worry about RL and IG time...You will see much, much weirder stuff....like when UD got under atack, and reaction was to call for special combat training after half a year IG....Thats quick reaction time :D

Hin_Justice

Post by Hin_Justice » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:06 pm

As far as two people having a fight... escalations are not always predictable. Sometimes PvP is natural and unforeseen and you just smackdown where you happen to be. I think IMO, the mindset is what determines bad RP.

If you're in the RP moment and you end up in a PvP fight in the middle of the street and no one witnessed - well that is rare in most cities. But you should try to bring the RP of it outside of the city if you can, if you feel PvP is an inevitable conclusion.

If you couldn't draw the PvP out of the city and it just happens... Well, you better RP wearing a hood or looking over the shoulder. Or something else to state you fear repercussions of your actions.

Just my thoughts on non-raid RP-to-PvP interaction.

Barrister Byrny Nuhl
Cordor Public Defender
Castellan, Castle Gloom

CptJonas

Post by CptJonas » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:21 pm

Hin_Justice wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:06 pm
As far as two people having a fight... escalations are not always predictable. Sometimes PvP is natural and unforeseen and you just smackdown where you happen to be. I think IMO, the mindset is what determines bad RP.

If you're in the RP moment and you end up in a PvP fight in the middle of the street and no one witnessed - well that is rare in most cities. But you should try to bring the RP of it outside of the city if you can, if you feel PvP is an inevitable conclusion.

If you couldn't draw the PvP out of the city and it just happens... Well, you better RP wearing a hood or looking over the shoulder. Or something else to state you fear repercussions of your actions.

Just my thoughts on non-raid RP-to-PvP interaction.
Or you live in UD and literaly noone care :D (And those who do will bring popcorn)