Theorycrafting Fun! - PDK Edition

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

BoltNRun

Theorycrafting Fun! - PDK Edition

Post by BoltNRun » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Hey guys! I know I post here a lot with lots of ideas and build concepts. I have some of them saved for future characters but I was looking through the wiki and I noticed something cool about the Barbarian and PDK.

The barbarian has the cool tribesman class option and it made me wonder how exactly good are your two allies that you summon? Are they considered strong summons, or is it more of just a fodder situation?

I also saw how the PDK is totally revamped and has some very cool uses in this server! I read some stuff on the forums saying the Valiant, I think thats the right one, option for PDK is good with more allies.

So my question is, how would a Barbarian/PDK/Bard build go? I know Rogue may be a better option, but the idea I am visualizing is a skald and his clansmen so I am thinking bard would fit. It would be a one-hander/shield build and I think it might be okay?

I'll let the expert talk while I listen and learn! Tell me what you think!

Sea Shanties

Re: Theorycrafting Fun! - PDK Edition

Post by Sea Shanties » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:14 pm

The Tribesmen are more or less a novelty and since they level with you, you would need to take almost all of your levels in Barbarian (dipping a few in rogue or bard perhaps) if you want them to be even remotely competitive. It's a fun path for a first character (or disposable character) if you want to get a hang of the server or play for laughs and the barbarians are very strong early on but you're better off with something else if you go the distance.

A standard (raging) barbarian/PDK/bard might work. If you want something with a kickass summons and PDK levels a 16/10/4 Blackguard/PDK/Bard (or Rogue) is a solid choice.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:57 pm

PDK??? PDK!!!!!
*vomits PDK numbers*
rogue 4 PDK 10 BG 16
Rogue 16 PDK 10 BG/Paladin 4
Bard 20 PDK 10
Fighter 4 PDK 10 WM 16
Barbarian 17 PDK 10 Rogue 3
Bard 16 PDK 10 pally/BG/Fighter 4
Fighter 16 PDK 10 rogue 4
Rogue 16 PDK 10 Fighter 4
Monk 20 PDK 10
4 rogue (fighter, paladin, monk) 10 PDK 16 CoT

---

Barbarian 17 PDK 10 Rogue 3 is generally best as either Valiant or Vanguard, as it has strong synergy with the massive AB boost, or with the Intimidate needs of Barbarian and Terrifying Rage. It generally works best as a 2 hander, since unfortunately you're getting basically no epic feats. With a bit of level wiggling, you can manage your epic feats to be Epic Prowess, Epic Weapon Focus, Thundering Rage, and Terrifying Rage - but this might require you to be Rogue 4 and Barbarian 16, so you can have level 27 be Barbarian 15, and Barbarian 16 at level 30 be Thundering Rage. You can be even gimmickier and lump this onto a Troglodyte so in total you have the Troglodyte stench debuff, the Terrifying Rage aura debuff, and the PDK Fear debuff. You can absolutely annihilate someone's AB, AC, and saves with this, but the tradeoff is your own defense is going to be pretty poor. If you want to stay 17/3/10 and preserve all your BAB, you'd need to change out one of Thundering or Terrifying, but I think the loss of 1 BAB is definitely worth being able to pick up both of the feats.

I really don't recommend Bard for this, but you could do it, at the cost of Evasion and some skill points. I think you'd be happier with rogue, the bard song isn't going to be doing much for you. You can do it one hander, but you don't really have room for even Armor Skin unless you give up Epic Prowess or one of the Rage feats, but again, it's doable, you could live with it. Like a lot of dip classes, you're going to be suffering until level 27 when your Tumble and UMD kicks in.

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:27 am

I did almost exactly what you're talking about, recently. Basically the idea was, a slaver and bully. Which meant I needed to be able to Taunt people, even when they were friendly, just for the lol's. The combined 'fear' effects from PDK and Barbarian obviously going into the style nicely. Only got to 21 before I rolled her, though. My dip was bard because it was also going to be flavor warlock levels.

I just... wouldn't go path of the tribal. It's not worth it. With your PDK you can make better use of them, yes, or you could get UMD, and summon off scrolls, being far better off. Ideally, you run with a dedicated DPS friend, and THAT'S where the magic happens. Two-hander for great DPS during rage, then once that wears off, switch to shield and go expertise, while your buddy keeps up the deeps. Your friend doesn't even have to be a traditional melee'er either. If it's a mage with summons, just put your protection buff on one of the summons. It works all the same. Since AC is pretty shoddy on barbarians, I would personally suggest bard over rogue, on this sort of build, as well. The bonus saves from spellcraft come in real handy to make sure nothing stops you during rage.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Hmm alright, so Tribesman barbarian is out of the question then.

What about a hard/pdk? Like what is best anount of bard dip you can do to get a decent song but not enough where you'd feel like being a caster? If that makes sense. In my head I'm just thinking of what might be the best combo for a support character. The PDK levels and abilities are freaking awesome and I'd like to capitalize more on that.

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:49 pm

For generally obtainable perform scores, as far as bard is concerned, you either want maybe a 3-4 level dip, 16 levels (AC cap on curse/song), or just as many levels as you can to maximise effectiveness.

Im not sure what your criteria on a bard feeling too much like a caster, is. Bards in 3.0 and nwn especially, never get to see their spellcasting blossom. It's always more of a side gimmick. Which is sad, but how it is until HaKs.

All that said, maybe 16 bard, 10 pdk, 4 rogue? Or maybe 4 blackguard/paladin.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:35 am

Okay well for now let's put the bard option on hold.

What about a PDK/CoT/? Combination? Doesn't have to be CoT but what I'm thinking of is a knight commander who is also a devout champion of his chosen good. I'm assuming paladin would be the best option?

Or what about. PDK/Bard/Paladin? Bard for the tumble dump and RP flair but a majority of classes in palasin?

What is one of the best builds that PDK compliments would be a good question lol

Astral

Post by Astral » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:18 am

I've seen a dex based build with e-dodge and blinding speed PDK quite recently and it looked really strong and reliable. I'm guessing it was 16 rogue, 4 fighter, 10 pdk.. or maybe 13 rogue 7 fighter for epic weapon spec. Not entirely sure but it had really high hp and decent saves for a rogue. They went Valiant.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

BoltNRun

Post by BoltNRun » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:22 pm

Oh that's interesting. Not gonna lie, I didn't expect that combo. Actually seems like a nifty idea and if it's valiant that's the damage path I believe

How well does it pair with paladin or CoT?

Astral

Post by Astral » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:36 pm

BoltNRun wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:22 pm
How well does it pair with paladin or CoT?
Didnt crack down numbers but I'm pretty sure CoT can work alright. Trading damage for saves mostly. For paladin I guess it's more MAD and tricky to pull off, also probably feat starved between all the basic combat feats and divine might/shield (powerattack required for them). I'd say the fighter version of it seems more solid. I've seen a 16rogue/4pally/10cot before and it seemed alright in pve, not so impressive in pvp and isnt a pdk.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:35 pm

BoltNRun wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:35 am
Okay well for now let's put the bard option on hold.

What about a PDK/CoT/? Combination? Doesn't have to be CoT but what I'm thinking of is a knight commander who is also a devout champion of his chosen good. I'm assuming paladin would be the best option?

Or what about. PDK/Bard/Paladin? Bard for the tumble dump and RP flair but a majority of classes in palasin?

What is one of the best builds that PDK compliments would be a good question lol

4 Rogue 10 PDK 16 CoT is wonderful and levels pretty similarly to the 4 rogue 10 PDK 16 BG. You can do any of the traditions with it. I'd recommend going a more brycer statline just for ease of gearing if you want to do Valiant, but you can make it work with 8-10 cha... and a lot of eagle's splendor and aura of glory items. It's not my bag.

You can also do a 16 rogue 10 PDK 4 paladin, but doing it DEX based really hurts on the stat side due to needing 13 str, good cha, good int, good con, and high dex. STR works just fine.

Blinding Speed 16 rogue 10 PDK 4 fighter works perfectly OK. It's got no bells or whistles, no divine stuff, it just sort of right click things, and has the rogue toys and PDK toys.

liver and bones

Post by liver and bones » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:50 am

BoltNRun wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:35 am
Doable, but feat starved. To make the pally choice reasonable you need:
Divine Might
Divine Shield
Power Attack

You only get 11 feats (12 if human) with that build. The build needs at bare minimum (in my opinion):
Blindfight
Weapon Focus
EWF
Expertise
Improved Expertise
SF: Discipline
Improved Critical
Epic Prowess
ESF: Discipline
Armor Skin

I would however also suggest KD, IKD, and Great STR. That's 13 feats before any of the 3 I listed first. You could dump Imp. Critical or Epic Prowess, but those are some hard hits to damage potential.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:43 am

Both pally an bard work best as either a dip or major investment but you might be able to do something fun with bard16/pdk10/pal4. I’d probably go fo fighter instead of pal in that case

Jack Oat

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:31 am

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable