Crafting Profession BY Weight Requirements

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

miesny_jez

Crafting Profession BY Weight Requirements

Post by miesny_jez » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:46 am

How would You value (from Your experience) the weight requirements for each profession? Basing on Your experience How would You rank which profession has highest to lowest carry weight requirements. Consider Your experience as a crafter and please give an answer based on total materials You had to carry.

Curious about other players view on this.

My ranking would be this:
Highest ST: Herbalism, Smithing
Medium ST: Art, Carpentry
Lowest ST: Tailor, Alchemy

Astegard
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Crafting Profession BY Weight Requirements

Post by Astegard » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:28 am

Seems correct to me.
The amount of component required for herbalism also keeps surprising me. Easier to get gold and just buy kits/potions than crafting them. Only value of Herbalism is in poisons and the new stuff required for templates.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:38 am

The weight for being a smith is ridiculous. Just being able to carry the stuff required to make one item from a-b is utterly crippling for any build that isn't strength focused.

I'd agree with the ranking, but probably push Art Crafting higher if we're going to include fixtures. Blocks or Marble and Granite are ~heavy~

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Art is a tricky one, but yeah, I might push it higher as well, between marble/granite and coal/sand/glass for bottles.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:12 pm

Herbalism requires abillion relatively light things, artcrafting requires a billion pretty heavy things.

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:35 pm

Yea, I would swap art and herbalism. It's only the salt chunks that are mostly heavy but they can be easily gathered.

A lot of the professions now cross over with one another in terms of high-end crafts, so that blurs the lines somewhat. Undisputedly forging is the heaviest and alchemy is the lightest, though.

I think when it comes to weight requirements regarding crafting professions, it's a giant blob of statistics regarding the amount of distance traveled, the amount of time to gather said materials, average amount of time of said weight sat in the inventory, and few more variables depending on player's storage and/or accessibility of workstations (are they inside the player's quarter or spread all over the city, etc.)

I can easily throw away salt, glass, and/or coal when I am done with them, but I am definitely not throwing away leftover ingots for alchemy, for example.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:31 pm

After spending more time on both the Mainland Arelith and Skal, I realized that basic resources such as glasses, salt, sand, coal, woods, and low tier metals such as copper, tin, and zinc are not as abundant or accessible as they are Skal. They take a lot more map transitions to gain access to and are more spread out throughout different settlements.

With multiple toons that have specialized in different crafts, the ranks for the Strength requirement become apparent in the following order:
1. Forging
2. Herbalism
3. Art Crafting (Only if granite/marble is involved)
4. Carpentry
5. Alchemy
6. Tailoring
Last edited by Kenji on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:44 pm

I would swap Alchemy and Tailoring. Tailoring generally just needs very light cotton/cloth/leather, the occasional ingot and a bunch of gems. The only real heavy thing is the heavy leathers.

Compared to alchemy which needs tons and tons and tons of ingots which are quite heavy; if alchemy wants to gather raw supplies for the crafted supplies (bottles/ingots) used in all of their recipes, then coal/sand/raw ore is super heavy as well.

EDIT - For clarity since the above posted was edited. The proposal was for Alchemy to be #5 and Tailoring to be #6.
Last edited by WanderingPoet on Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:50 pm

You have a point. The two are the lightest weight requirement compared to the other professions, however. Alchemy does require more "overall" weight that will be consistently there due to supplies not being discarded as often.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:11 pm

Kenji3108 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:50 pm
You have a point. The two are the lightest weight requirement compared to the other professions, however. Alchemy does require more "overall" weight that will be consistently there due to supplies not being discarded as often.
This. It isn't such a big deal to characters with high strength, but mages often suffer from back problems because of the amount of things they carry for their craft.

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:28 am

I really wish weight limits were raised a good bit, since we no longer have bags.

Especially since some of us were created in an era where we did have bags available to us, so built our STR for that, only to have those bags confiscated.