Pale masters and favoured enemies.

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

boggle99

Pale masters and favoured enemies.

Post by boggle99 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:13 am

Do pailmasters count as their base race or as undead when it comes to a rangers FE bonus?

Also while you're here. Which would you say is a better choice for FE, Abberation or Gnome? Am I correct in remembering that there is a very hard Abberation based dungeon for late epics somewhere? Or once you deal with the shades and Driders is that it?

BHR55
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Pale masters and favoured enemies.

Post by BHR55 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Pale masters are not Undead, they just seek to emulate it, and gain its benefits. Race remains the same as at character creation, and they are effected by Heal/Harm as normal. So favored enemy Undead would not grand you a bonus against one.

This is assuming nothing has changed mechanically since last i played. A glance at the wiki seems to confirm my point though, on the NOT Undead bit.

DM Sollers

Re: Pale masters and favoured enemies.

Post by DM Sollers » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:28 pm

As said by BHR55.

Mechanically: Pale masters are not undead and will be treated as their base race when calculating Favored Enemy bonuses.

Roleplay and Rulewise: Pale masters are not undead, though they do try to emulate it. "Deathless Mastery", for example, is the partial mummification of their organs/body/what-have-you. Despite that, they still aren't undead- just wannabes. In addition, virtually all pale masters are willing pale masters, similar to how (on Arelith) all warlocks are willing warlocks. If you see somebody who is roleplaying a "good" or "unwilling" pale master, or trying to roleplay "pale-master-not-really", send a private message to Active DMs.
Be kind.