Multiclassing

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

legionetrangere

Multiclassing

Post by legionetrangere » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Howdy

I would like to ask the fellow forum members what are their opinions regarding multiclassing.

For me, i always multiclass in the attempt to get the most out of my build from a PvP point of view (although, i'll admit i'm very terrible at 'powerbuilding').

I ask this because i would rather play in a less powerbuilding/multiclassing enviroment.

I find It kind weird from a RP perspective the ammount of rogue/bard 3 lvls dump. It makes sense mechanicly, but otherwise very strange to have a Uber CoT with 3 bard lvls, for example.

How do you guys feels about this?
PayadorPerseguido

Gobbo Champion Inc

Re: Multiclassing

Post by Gobbo Champion Inc » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:02 pm

I think it would be more strange that a epic level pc would not have picked up tricks and skills along the way then not. 3 rogue or bard levels are great ways to represent this. Skills like tumble, Umd, discipline are all important abilities for an adventurer and it won't take someone long to realise they need to learn them.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:34 pm

I always RP my crossclass levels, and find trainers for it before my char takes levels for it. I find it more satisfying for myself to do it that way, but it's each to their own.

Amineh123

Post by Amineh123 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:56 pm

I feel that in PnP multiclassing is always a fun and good idea because you always must RP it somehow, feel into that character etc.
Unfortunately here, while there are brilliant RP'ers, most players just take dump classes and don't act accordingly. I guess that's a disadvantage of a multiplayer video game.
Sometimes I have a feeling it would be better if there were only 2 classes allowed, just if you want a premium class, but only one 'basic' class, to improve RP and being more needed to party together, rather than be an uber turbo god swinging a scimitar.
I know it's not possible to change the whole server, it's just my little dream, heh.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:05 pm

This topic will not go anywhere good. Here's the jist since the other 31 times it got posted: classes need to be roleplayed. However, classes are subjective to a wide range of interpretations. A rogue does not mean a thief, and a bard does not mean a musician. There's a lot of fluidity and flexibility within the classes that can be portrayed in any number of ways.

If you're bothered by someone having 3 levels in another class, unbother yourself.

legionetrangere

Post by legionetrangere » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:13 pm

Ork wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:05 pm
This topic will not go anywhere good. Here's the jist since the other 31 times it got posted: classes need to be roleplayed. However, classes are subjective to a wide range of interpretations. A rogue does not mean a thief, and a bard does not mean a musician. There's a lot of fluidity and flexibility within the classes that can be portrayed in any number of ways.

If you're bothered by someone having 3 levels in another class, unbother yourself.
Get off your high horse and learn to talk.
I want to hear other's thought on the matter, not mandate a specific playstyle.
That being said, you make some valid points that i've did not take in my account.
I apologise if this has been brought earlier

Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:34 pm
I always RP my crossclass levels, and find trainers for it before my char takes levels for it. I find it more satisfying for myself to do it that way, but it's each to their own.
Thats a good Idea, seeking trainers in the class you intend to take. I might try that out for my next character
PayadorPerseguido

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:29 pm

I almost always play tri-class, and I'd take more classes if I could, in some cases. One class is almost never enough to define a well-rounded person. As long as it makes sense from a RP standpoint, I say take as many or as few classes as you need to express your character's knowledge and experience.

As far as building for RP with mechanical power tossed aside, that's never going to be possible in a multiplayer online setting. You need a live DM to maintain balance. D&D 3.5E simply has atrocious class balance. It's better to make a character close to what you want and be able to RP with your buddies anywhere on the island than hamstring yourself with poor mechanical choices and be stuck in places where you have to wait around hoping for RP to come to you.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:47 pm

legionetrangere wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:13 pm
Thats a good Idea, seeking trainers in the class you intend to take. I might try that out for my next character
It's tons of fun. I find it's hard to get master/apprentice RP going with my base class, since the character is created into that class there's not really a need for it-- my character already is that class. I find it flows so much better with secondary classes, where my characters realize they want to learn something new and go out looking for someone to teach them. It predates them being that class, and sculpts how the class will impact them.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:22 am

I actively accepted a sub-optimal build because i don't think my character would have learned or wanted to get Rogue or Bard skills.

You will have a hard time on PvP if you go that way but not so much on PvE if you are not the type to solo around all the time.

I still multiclassed though(Character StartedPaladin,i got a few levels on fighter and CoT,RP wise it makes sense for what i thought for him but this meant no UMD) ,but on classes that would make sense for my character,in the end it's up to you.Just know if you do a build/multiclass based only on the RP you thought for your character it might be considered a sub-optimal build but nothing too bad.
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:57 am

My opinion is that classes should be roleplayed.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:21 am

Many, many iconic characters from FR are cross/multi-classed, some with three-or-less level dips included in their builds (not uncommon in the slightest). As characters from lore break the level 25 benchmark this becomes a more predominant fact, and these dips are often manifested as skills atypical for their core class that they happen to have picked up (and depending on the character and how much has been written about them, in some cases you may see them learning these things in their younger days).

It's not uncommon for characters with thirty levels or more to have 4 or more classes.

I agree that it's nice to RP these things (and I certainly prefer the idea of do to the idea of don't), but I don't think every emote you post has to breathe about your life in the underworld when you dip three levels of rogue, either. Some RP if you happen to unlock a chest or disarm a trap might be nice, or a flip if you evade an attack of opportunity with a tumble check, might make a nice occasional flavor addition, for example.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:22 am

Also.. Pen & Paper D&D has dozens if not hundreds of prestige classes to fine-tune your character, often bringing skills and abilities we get from dipping. We don't, so this is how you are meant to make a character in NWN.

If your integrity says just stay pure class or two-classed, that's great for you, but at the same time you can't see other player's builds on the entry screen for some very good reasons and this is one. Your character doesn't know other people "dip", and you as a player don't really know either unless they tell you. I'd worry more about how someone behaves in game than how you think they're built.

Though admittedly I can see where certain classes- mostly Paladin- have oaths implied that mean even if you dip you have to take care to RP the class. And "dipping" Harper is a major commitment. So not all dips are equal.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:11 am

Personally, I love the options multiclassing can open up when dealing with storytelling.

Try thinking of ways to incorporate/represent what you're recieving with your skilldumping. For example? You took 3 rogue levels? Your character now has a slight tendency to aim for the vitals when attacking (sneak attack). He's also mastered defensive falls and the ability to roll off blows (tumble) and learned small bits of trickery manipulating magical devices (minor UMD) specifically regarding scrolls and wands to make use of them.

Tah-dah~ Try not to think of "how do I RP a rogue if I'm a paladin" but "how do I rp the skills/feats i'm getting from this?"

Leshpar

Post by Leshpar » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:44 pm

I have only ever done one pure class. I usually multiclass at least a little for the added skills that will give my character. Its by no means power building. I am building to have fun. Also, prestige classes are a thing, so you can't really pure class if you want one of those.

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 pm

I've always taken 3 classes for the most part. Once I did a fighter 27 rogue 3. Was my only 2 class character and made for pvp of course.

Always have wanted to get away from that and just build from rp but it never happens. However I AM currently going strong with what is so far a pure rogue and told myself he is gonna be pure rogue. But as I get closer to epic I start rethinking it and ATM am maybe just going to do a ranger dump with him. For disc, and no tracks. But honestly undecided. Always wanted to see how a pure class worked out. We will see.

Someone mentioned there dream was only two classes allowed, I think mine would be to not be able to save skill points for dumping later but instead go to the "use it or lose it" form.

But no complaints from me,I flow with whatever Arelith goes with.

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Tryn Dralar wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:43 pm
For disc, and no tracks.
I have now seen this several times in past week. Can someone tell me where it says rangers leave no tracks? My ranger is a wild elf so i can't check :)

Tryn Dralar

Post by Tryn Dralar » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:02 pm

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6300

You can check. Before you transition see if any tracks are there, if not, then transition and come back. Check for tracks then. But rangers get trackless step and I think driuds do also?

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:18 pm

The NWN "trackless step" feat doesn't mean you don't leave tracks.

Unless something changed at least.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:40 pm

Yep. Characters with trackless step leave no tracks, both druids and rangers.

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:26 pm

Would the Pope be anything other than max level cleric?
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Pope Francis took Bard levels.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Diilicious wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:26 pm
Would the Pope be anything other than max level cleric?
level 30 commoner.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 pm

I don't think the pope is anywhere near level 30, he looks like he has 1d4, or 2d4 HP at most

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:25 am

not sure why you think that? if the world suddenly became D&D hed probably be the highest level cleric in the west.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:49 am

Gobbo Champion Inc wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:02 pm
I think it would be more strange that a epic level pc would not have picked up tricks and skills along the way then not. 3 rogue or bard levels are great ways to represent this. Skills like tumble, Umd, discipline are all important abilities for an adventurer and it won't take someone long to realise they need to learn them.
Precisely this. In an odd way the ic justification for taking a new class is exactly the same as the ooc justification. The training of the new class offers a complimentary skillset that your initial training doesn't have.

A pal/bard/fighter for example. ICly your character can just say "I learned the bardic arts so I could use magic to make myself stronger, and I have focused on the art of the (insert weapon type here) and learned to be a good soldier in order to better combat evil as a paladin". Simple, makes sense. Literally just state what a class is trained to do, state why it is helpful to your character's build, and find a way to word it ic.

Or your character just got bored and did something else for a while. "I got bored of just stabbing things, so I learned some magic to try something different." I know a rl soldier who started out as infantry, then became a combat engineer, then became a mechanic, and then a combat medic just because he got bored of each one after a few years, but now he's an engineer again and damn is he the best soldier on the battlefield.

Oh the year was 1778...