About the Cookie-Cutter Build Guide

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Dr. B

About the Cookie-Cutter Build Guide

Post by Dr. B » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi everyone. I've been taking a break from Arelith--perhaps for a very long time. It's partly due to RL business, and partly for other reasons.

In the meantime, the Essential Cookie-Cutter Build Guide needs a caretaker. If anyone is interested and feels up to the task, please PM me and we can see about transferring editing privileges. Caveat: I need to know you, and you need to have some established credibility as a knowledgeable builder.

I also don't want to hand it off to more than one person, because even good builders disagree now and then, and I don't want irreconcilable differences causing it to degenerate into an edit war.

To the forum mods: I suppose anyone can bypass my request and just ask you directly, although I put a lot of effort into making and maintaining that thing, so I'd like some say in who the person is, if that's OK with you.

I'm aware that Jack removed all of the builds of his that are linked there. The way I see it, it's his Google Drive and therefore his right. But as a favor to whomever takes up the job, I'll pass along replacements for a few of the missing builds to make your job easier. I'll certainly keep the links to my builds available.

In the meantime, have fun out there!

Jack Oat

Re: About the Cookie-Cutter Build Guide

Post by Jack Oat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 pm

I'm willing to hand off the builds to whoever you pick as the individual and they can host the stuff on their own drive, make whatever alterations they see, etc.

"You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Garrbear wrote:

quite bluntly we can't balance the server around people who don't play well

Irongron wrote:

My main takeaway from this is that Jack is apparently personable

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:40 pm

I can host them on pastebin where they will never expire.
\

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:56 pm

Still waiting for that PM.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:05 am

As much as the hidden chaotic evil side of me would like to see the dark ages. The fact that a decade ago, random janky mediocre subpar buikds I came up with for friends I introduced to the game ended up dominating way more than they should have, just show how much said guides would be a boon to the masses that literally have no clue what they are doing. (And i learned a bit myself, though with great frustration because I had to face the reality that my creativity/ideas will always be jackall/pointless with the solidified meta(s) )

I hope it all works out, especially with all the new players coming in. But Arelith has survived in the past when build sharing/development was essentially the dark ages for transmission of info and shadow laws against "powergaming". In fact summons use to be righr out of the meta becsuse it penalised on your exp while party members of same level did not. So it was always more efficient to adventure in groups (and to heck with builds half the time)

Shadowlaws, no real rules, naturally develop when you try to make 5 simple server rules and tell the masses that their common sense wil prevail for what counts as cheesing/abuse/grief ing/etc and what does not.

So yes it will be a good if this thing gets sorted out. But it wont be end the world and you can all sleep peacefully either way. After all areliths's most famous characters were both subpar and just down right bad builds lol
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:58 am

The reason I made the thread was because seeing the same build request threads appearing over and over again became a pet peeve of mine. And because apparently helping people is nice or some hokey claptrap like that, but mainly the former.

Artenides

Post by Artenides » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am

Dr. B wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:58 am
The reason I made the thread was because seeing the same build request threads appearing over and over again became a pet peeve of mine. And because apparently helping people is nice or some hokey claptrap like that, but mainly the former.
And people like me will be eternally in your debt for that!
--
Plays as: [No active char atm]
"I am a software developer and a DnD nerd. That means I am equally qualified to deal with bugs and bugbears!"