Deciding to come back, how is EE?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

ArcanaFTW

Re: Deciding to come back, how is EE?

Post by ArcanaFTW » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:34 am

Steam now gives me a counter as to how many hours I've wasted on here, and it's sad.

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:51 am

-knockdown

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:18 am

I don't have many great things to say about EE (for me, it's a pretty direct downgrade in functionality) but speaking specifically of Arelith, the work the devs have done lately is phenomenal, every time the Update thread gets a post it's usually something pretty exciting.

Venach

Post by Venach » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 am

Well, after reading the thread. . . . Jeeze. . .

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:45 pm

I personally like EE. NWN was becoming harder and harder to run every time I upgraded my PC. With my newest PC, I could barely get the game to work without crashing. It was incredibly unstable. Even running the game was questionable, I had to launch it 2 or 3 times before it would run without bringing up an error message. EE is very stable in comparison. So I guess the real question is, do you have an old pc or a new one?

With that said, the most recent update to the game was really stupid, supposedly every bad change was accidental though and will be fixed next patch. I have no idea how they published a patch with so many obvious problems, but, they did.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:26 pm

If you compare it to what you left, I think you will be pleased. Maybe even very pleased. The great kick is more maps, a whole new "server", Distant Shores. And a lot of new players, great players.

Everything is not perfect, like this thread says, there are minor set backs, but all in all, I am happy with EE, and I played since 2006.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Tourmaline

Post by Tourmaline » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Venach wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 am
People are complaining loudly about small but annoying bugs. But they're still playing as are 100-200 others at any given time so obviously something must work.

EE is playable (though a work in progress) and the community is bustling so this is a good time to re-join, much better than before the switch.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Tourmaline wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:39 pm
Venach wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:02 am
People are complaining loudly about small but annoying bugs. But they're still playing as are 100-200 others at any given time so obviously something must work.

EE is playable (though a work in progress) and the community is bustling so this is a good time to re-join, much better than before the switch.
People will always find something to complain about whenever an update rolls out. Even something as silly as the transition color changing to something more visible.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:42 pm

The short version is EE is a mixed bag, and probably a downgrade, but Arelith is great, better than ever, and with literal hundreds of players.
With luck the bugs with EE are also only temporary, but Arelith is forever and none of the EE bugs are so horrific as to make playing impossible.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:02 am

EE has its issues. Arelith keeps on going and adding new content for our players. Nothing has really changed for us other than the fact we get more dev tools to work with. From a player's perspective you might notice more issues than you had on 1.69 or you might notice less issues, kinda depends on your setup I think. Intel users had it bad but they are fixing this and rolled out a patch recently that should help most of these users.

The rendering improvements are mostly shader based and they do add a nice touch to some scenery can't deny that and we will see updated models for the playable races in the future as well. But I have also noticed rendering issues that was not a problem on 1.69, first some tilesets had erroneous tiles that would crash users instantly. We have tried to addressed the tiles on Arelith by reworking these areas with the flawed tiles. And I have also noticed that some tiles along edges looks strange on EE and also some water tiles.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:48 pm

I've had absolutely zero technical issues since the switch to EE; in 1.69, my game CTD'ed about once every 30 minutes on an average day. Random lag spikes, etc.

Since the swap to EE, I've had zero lag (apart from lag that can be attributed to the servers being sold off to those heathenous Europeans, rather than being housed in their proper place back in the ol' US-of-A) and I've yet to have my game crash once. Its been an absolute godsend, in terms of the game running smoothly and stably, at least on my end.

Echohawk
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Echohawk » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:14 pm

VENACH

I miss u.
*totally enhanced*
Arelith Discord: https://discord.gg/mAm8M3T
Echohawk#0623
Availability - Whenever, Sweden (GMT+1)

kiljaedon

Post by kiljaedon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:45 pm

I guess I am one of the few that love the EE. I could not play NWN original on my real gaming pc and had to use an older one just for a bunch of games like NWN, Arcanum and more. Steam I will admit might not have the best of reviews but EE has brought me back to the game after 5 years of staying on exclusively NWN 2.

I just wish I could get back my old characters since I have not played Arelith in so many years. I do not even remotely know how to go about trying to get my original characters back after 10 or so years.

Aftond

Post by Aftond » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:26 pm

What I've gained from EE = Invalid character at each server trans, random crashes, incredible FPS drops out of nowhere, some features of NWNX not working properly.

But also gained individual armor coloring which is neat, and hellball doesnt crash me which actually is important.

Basically EE leaves a lot to be desired, just at delivering what the previous iteration provided. It was hyped to be the "expansion for the devs", so I'd say its just a matter of time before features are implemented properly again and we begin to see actual improvements playerside.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:57 pm

for people wanting 2018 graphics levels they are never going to be happy. But everyone keeps forgetting how long it took to get to 1.69 and what everyone was happy with.

EE is 3 months from launch and has not only given the Devs new sandboxes to play with , but we have game support again.

When we find something broken, there are people actually working to fix it beyond our dev team.

Beamdog is tweaking and twerking and zigzaggin the game every week to fix the little things and the major things.

Arelith players helped test the new intel patch.

Best of all you dont have to have ten bypasses to run the game on a modern rig anymore, and that is major for the players.

Listen to the crybabies if you want about wasted time and not wanting to be game testers and such, but for the price of a pizza, I and many others have claimed EE as the future for the next 15 years playing in our fave place.
Yes I can sign

strong yeet

Post by strong yeet » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:09 pm

I think it's a little unfair, and a little hostile to refer to everyone who doesn't exactly feel satisfied with the new edition of the game as a "crybaby."

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:12 pm

How ironic.

Umskiptar

Post by Umskiptar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:37 pm

I've been feeling VERY ENHANCED since this new game happened.

Aftond

Post by Aftond » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:39 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:57 pm
for people wanting 2018 graphics levels they are never going to be happy. But everyone keeps forgetting how long it took to get to 1.69 and what everyone was happy with.

EE is 3 months from launch and has not only given the Devs new sandboxes to play with , but we have game support again.

When we find something broken, there are people actually working to fix it beyond our dev team.

Beamdog is tweaking and twerking and zigzaggin the game every week to fix the little things and the major things.

Arelith players helped test the new intel patch.

Best of all you dont have to have ten bypasses to run the game on a modern rig anymore, and that is major for the players.

Listen to the crybabies if you want about wasted time and not wanting to be game testers and such, but for the price of a pizza, I and many others have claimed EE as the future for the next 15 years playing in our fave place.
Noone said they wanted 2018 graphics.
EE is 3 months from launch, and is worse than the original. Including these constant server crashes all are experiencing.
Beamdog is fixing things that their "enhanced" edition brought with it.
Arelith being early access testing grounds. Why not just keep a beta version with EE? And the normal with non EE until the game was actually stable.
What bypasses?
Crybabies? Thats nice. Could slap a "early access" tag on the game and I wouldnt be making these posts.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:44 pm

bypasses meaning compatibility mode , run as admin, dont update your computer drivers running an emulator etc

many people complain mostly about the graphics not being enhanced

Beamdog didnt have a multi million dollar budget like when they were bioware with atari and such backing them. Beamdog is fixing much more than just from EE bugs, but at least they are fixing bugs so our devs dont have to find a workaround
Yes I can sign

Aftond

Post by Aftond » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:44 pm
bypasses meaning compatibility mode , run as admin, dont update your computer drivers running an emulator etc

many people complain mostly about the graphics not being enhanced

Beamdog didnt have a multi million dollar budget like when they were bioware with atari and such backing them. Beamdog is fixing much more than just from EE bugs, but at least they are fixing bugs so our devs dont have to find a workaround
Haven't had to change any compability settings, neither have my friends. But I cant speak for all in this obviously.

Have not seen this at all here, if graphics was an issue I bet most people on the server wouldnt be playing here.

But they decided to take on this enhanced project which seems to have brought on more bugs than it fixed. Like I said before, these things will take time to fix. Why launch the game at all? Without a "early access" prolonged testing version? We got to have some consumer criticism especially when we pay for something thats supposed to be improved but its not.. Yet. I'm sure the devs are having a great and easier time with the new version. Which is wonderful. I wish I could have your incredible optimism in this.

Stath

Post by Stath » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:58 am

It would have been better to stay on 1.69 until awhile after EE came out, instead of migrating Arelith straight away to be honest. At least that's my opinion.

More importantly

when are we getting haks devs???
Ork wrote: *who filters sexy elven fun times, really?

Beneidalus

Post by Beneidalus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:35 am

(Disguised)

whoisthisis

Post by whoisthisis » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Without EE you wouldn't have this huge crush of players (like me) joining the server.
I will say the last update has really helped. It is a lot less wacky.

Having the multiplayer working again is such a boon. Okay okay I know that it was possible to use a DNS hijack to point NWN at some privately run service. (Seriously, that was what that did, it literally forced the 1.69 to go to a non bioware controlled IP)

Installing the game for me was a time consuming headache. I was still installing the version (with the expansions) that I had bought the very day it came out. 55 bucks price tag on it. But I did get a cloth map of Neverwinter! My SOU was a first day too, and had the CD key code on a red paper because the dopes forgot to print them in the manual. So yep, install NWN, put in CD code, install SOU, put in CODE, install HOTU, put in CD code. Remember where I had stashed the 1.69 updater because the game stopped updating itself. Then go in and mess with XP compatibility, try and get it to sound okay on my Soundblaster (Win7 would NOT work with the soundblaster enhanced modes, so it was dolby). Then if I had an ATI card, I would have to disable shiny water (But I LOVED the shiney water). Ohh and while I was installing all the above, I would have to look at offers for stuff LONG defunct and gone LOL.

In the later years when everyone was using GOG or Diamond CD codes, mine stuck out like a sore thumb. FTXMUL or close. (used to be able to tell what version of the game you had by the first letter of the public CD code) I used to have server ops tell me, damn you have a weird CD code. I would then have to repeat the above story :p

One thing still works great in NWN, the temporal black hole! Holy hell where does the time go playing this game.