Crafter/Enchanter/PVE Build

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Dirac

Crafter/Enchanter/PVE Build

Post by Dirac » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Firstly, I want to thank you folks ahead of time for saving me a ton of time. Since i'm a new player, I'm working on a crafting build to mostly get to understand the various crafting mechanics of the server.

The objectives of this build:
- Take full advantage of the enchantment system
- Take full advantage of the tailoring system
- Craft wands and scrolls
- Great PvE grind capability, especially at epic levels. I'd love to be able to solo epic dungeons if that is possible. This character will not be built for PvP in mind.

Some things I need to figure out:
- How do I setup the character to know all the runic languages (what is most efficient race, gifts etc)? Is this even necessary?
*Don't have access to Major/Minor gifts since I'm new to the server
*Should I consider taking on ECL for Gift of Tongues? Does this make Runic enchantments easier?
- Ordering of feats to make leveling easier

Current template:
Wizard(30), Human
STR: 13
DEX: 10
CON: 16
WIS: 8
INT: 17 (24)
CHA: 8

Gifts:
Gift of Craftsmanship
Gift of Tongues?
?????????

God: Mystra? Should I get a god with both magic and Knowledge and Invention?

Feats are pretty straight forward. Picked ESF Evo for taking down bosses (new to the server so I assume this was beneficial).

Human: (Quick to Master)
01: Wizard(1): Spell Focus: Conjuration, Greater Spell Focus: Conjuration, {Scribe Scroll}
02: Wizard(2)
03: Wizard(3): Spell Focus: Enchantment
04: Wizard(4): INT+1, (INT=18)
05: Wizard(5): Spell Focus: Evocation
06: Wizard(6): Extend Spell
07: Wizard(7)
08: Wizard(8): INT+1, (INT=19)
09: Wizard(9): Maximize Spell
10: Wizard(10): Craft Wand
11: Wizard(11)
12: Wizard(12): INT+1, Greater Spell Focus: Evocation, (INT=20)
13: Wizard(13)
14: Wizard(14)
15: Wizard(15): Greater Spell Focus: Enchantment, Empower Spell
16: Wizard(16): INT+1, (INT=21)
17: Wizard(17)
18: Wizard(18): Spell Focus: Abjuration
19: Wizard(19)
20: Wizard(20): INT+1, Greater Spell Focus: Abjuration, (INT=22)
21: Wizard(21): Epic Spell: Dragon Knight
22: Wizard(22)
23: Wizard(23): Epic Spell Focus: Enchantment
24: Wizard(24): INT+1, Epic Spell Focus: Conjuration, (INT=23)
25: Wizard(25)
26: Wizard(26): Epic Spell Focus: Evocation
27: Wizard(27): Epic Spell: Greater Ruin
28: Wizard(28): INT+1, (INT=24)
29: Wizard(29): Epic Spell: Hellball
30: Wizard(30): Epic Spell: Mummy Dust

Concentration 33(36), Craft Armor 33(39), Heal 33(33), Lore 33(39), Spellcraft 33(39), remaining skillpoints tons

Thoughts?

Cortex

Re: Crafter/Enchanter/PVE Build

Post by Cortex » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:29 pm

With just a glance and not going much in depth:

•If you're looking for PvE only, Greater Ruin and Hellball won't give you much, focuses are still decent for Bigby spells.
•If you're taking GR/HB for PvP, consider taking a ranger or bard dip for discipline.
•Abjuration is likewise mostly a PvP school, you won't be getting much mileage out of it in PvE.
•Mummy Dust and Epic Conj elementals have the same role in PvE, and EDK is better than Mummy Dust for PvP.
:)

Dirac

Post by Dirac » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:05 am

Cortex wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:29 pm
With just a glance and not going much in depth:

•If you're looking for PvE only, Greater Ruin and Hellball won't give you much, focuses are still decent for Bigby spells.
•If you're taking GR/HB for PvP, consider taking a ranger or bard dip for discipline.
•Abjuration is likewise mostly a PvP school, you won't be getting much mileage out of it in PvE.
•Mummy Dust and Epic Conj elementals have the same role in PvE, and EDK is better than Mummy Dust for PvP.
Abjuration was taken for the nice immunity to IGMS wands that can be produced. Also, does the Abj bonus to Greater Dispel carry forward to scrolls?

I Agree, the mileage isn't very impressive from the Evo and Abj focus, hardly worth taking instead of 3 levels in bard dumping in tumble and snagging ESF Disc.

I was more interested in if I was doing the right things for the Enchantment/Crafting stuff that needs to be done.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:44 am

The immunity only goes to the caster of shield with feats in abjuration. The wand is still a basic shield wand if you hand it to someone else, if that's what you were getting at.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Dirac

Post by Dirac » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:12 am

Skibbles wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:44 am
The immunity only goes to the caster of shield with feats in abjuration. The wand is still a basic shield wand if you hand it to someone else, if that's what you were getting at.
Yeah, that was exactly where I was getting at. Thank you. So, it looks like Abjuration is out the window, pretty much.

FromTheDarknessBelow

Post by FromTheDarknessBelow » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 pm

I'd slap both craft armor and weapon, since their effects to daily CPs stacks.

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:36 am

Be aware that there's 11 pages of discussion on changing the structure of enchanting so this may have a bearing on your build. If you take all the sf enchantment you may have those benifits changed/altered in the near future. Just being honest and giving you a heads up. I'd have a quick read of the topic first. I'm not sure how to link a thread, but it's under feedback, "About that enchanting suggestion"

Dirac

Post by Dirac » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Woper_The_Black wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:36 am
Be aware that there's 11 pages of discussion on changing the structure of enchanting so this may have a bearing on your build. If you take all the sf enchantment you may have those benifits changed/altered in the near future. Just being honest and giving you a heads up. I'd have a quick read of the topic first. I'm not sure how to link a thread, but it's under feedback, "About that enchanting suggestion"
Even without Basin enchanting, Enchantment focus has some of the most powerful PvE spells in the game. For example, hold person, hold monster, and dominate monster.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:25 pm

I have been thinking about making a pure crafter/enchanter wizard as well! Might as well shift my thoughts into full gear.

A most efficient set up with Enchantment basin bonuses in mind would be a Dwarven or an Elven Wizard with a dip in paladin levels (LG only if paladin).

This way, you get 3 rune languages (Racial, Draconic, Celestial) without having to learn them, leaving only Dwarven or Elven, Abyssal, and Infernal left to be learned (Takes a long while, from what I've heard, literally years of RL time). If you have access to Tieflings, it'll be even easier since I imagine learning Elven/Dwarven will be easier than Abyssal or Infernal.

Level 30 Wizards are also perfect for casting high CL spells on Assembly Templates (but who cares about ranged players, right?)

Since you'll be crafting, I would exchange the Con with Str, so you can carry a lot more than usual. Your call.

As for the deity choice, Savras (LN Magic/Knowledge & Invention, available for Lawful characters) is often my first choice for either RP or mechanical reasons.

If not a paladin, Dwarves can serve Laduguer (LE Magic/Knowledge & Invention, available for LN dwarves)

Regarding gifts, you might want Gift of Craft over Gift of Tongue due to Gift of Craft offering 10 more crafting skill points (70 points to distribute at lvl30), whereas Gift of Tongue only makes learning languages easier, and you don't have to worry about the cap being a wizard.

Alchemy 28: Abeyant Template
Tailoring 41: Stuffs
Art Crafting 1: bottles

Pretty much what's on my immediate thought.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:49 am

Azuth is also magic/knowledge-invention
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Dirac

Post by Dirac » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Kenji3108 wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:25 pm
A most efficient set up with Enchantment basin bonuses in mind would be a Dwarven or an Elven Wizard with a dip in paladin levels (LG only if paladin).
Thanks. This is actually the sort of feedback I was looking for. I did end up making a build (similar to what is above, i'll try to update this in the near future), but yeah I went dwarven to grab a language and have a little extra con for hp. I had no idea that Paladin would give Celestial - unfortunately, I think I went lawful neutral.
Kenji3108 wrote:
Level 30 Wizards are also perfect for casting high CL spells on Assembly Templates (but who cares about ranged players, right?)
I took 30 and plan on grabbing as much craft weapon and armor as possible. Thanks for informing me that templates exist, I've never really heard of them and will have to check it out.
Kenji3108 wrote:
Regarding gifts, you might want Gift of Craft over Gift of Tongue due to Gift of Craft offering 10 more crafting skill points (70 points to distribute at lvl30), whereas Gift of Tongue only makes learning languages easier, and you don't have to worry about the cap being a wizard.
Yeah, I ended up passing on Gift of Tongues and took Craft and Humility
Kenji3108 wrote:
Great suggestion. Are you missing out on any good stuff by only going 41 Tailoring?

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Dirac wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:57 pm
Kenji3108 wrote:
I took 30 and plan on grabbing as much craft weapon and armor as possible. Thanks for informing me that templates exist, I've never really heard of them and will have to check it out.
Assembly templates are mostly for characters who are dedicated to ranged weaponry, but with 30 CL wizard, a lot of Archers, Rangers, and ranged extraordinaire will be seeking you out in hopes of you casting spells on their templates. Great opportunity for RP! Playing a crafter is all about talking to people and interacting with them, after all! :D
Dirac wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:57 pm
Kenji3108 wrote:
Great suggestion. Are you missing out on any good stuff by only going 41 Tailoring?
With tailoring 41 you'll only be missing few really high-end crafts that you can't craft due to racial restrictions or just not as high tailoring skills. But just high enough to cover almost everything else.

I will list the things that aren't 5% failure chance of crafts:

Code: Select all

Item			ID	DC	% Fail	Restriction
Witchhunter's Cloak 	912 	44	10%
Rogue Leathers	 	992 	45	15%
Armor of Immolation 	887 	46	20%
Warded Ankheg Armor 	890 	46	20%
Second Skin	 	884 	48	30%
Draconic Armor 		888 	48	30%	Kobold Only
Armor of the Wilds 	889 	48	30%	Wild Elf/Wood Elf/Forest Gnome/Wild Dwarf Only
Enhanced Elite Sling 	1028 	50	40%
Ranger's runic Studded 	850 	56	70%	Rangers Only
As you can see, only a few things that are almost barred by above 30%+ failure chance are limited to a certain race or classes anyways. Everything else (Witchhunter's Cloak, for example, is 10% chance failure) can be crafted at a relatively safe failure chance, made even safer with Deity saves.

You can also try and help to progress most of these crafts, but won't be as efficient as higher dedicated tailors.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:04 am

Woper_The_Black wrote:
There was also recently a very long thread on reversing the Writ change, and yet we haven't seen that happen - and we likely won't. Lengthy discussions on a suggestion do not guarantee change. Besides, if we had to plan around potential changes, we might never flesh out a build because one day it "might" become invalid.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:15 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:04 am
Woper_The_Black wrote:
There was also recently a very long thread on reversing the Writ change, and yet we haven't seen that happen - and we likely won't. Lengthy discussions on a suggestion do not guarantee change. Besides, if we had to plan around potential changes, we might never flesh out a build because one day it "might" become invalid.
The difference is that some Arelith developers agreed with many of the concerns raised in the Enchantment thread. Not so much in the writ thread.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood