rp'ing a lawful evil warlock..

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Azensor

rp'ing a lawful evil warlock..

Post by Azensor » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:25 am

Been awhile since i was last on and decided to go for something different from what i played last.

What kind of reactions/rp can i expect?

PinataPlethora

Re: rp'ing a lawful evil warlock..

Post by PinataPlethora » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:05 am

Expect to be killed if you throw it in anyone's face, and ignored by most if you don't. You'll likely be a pariah if your pact becomes well known, but unaligned warriors may respect you for your adherence to a code.

Warlocks are pretty much the worst thing to be right now, (by that I mean they're considered the most pressing source of evil) because they have knowingly made a pact with a necessarily evil entity which is guaranteed to require some sort of nefarious activity from them as payment. And Necromancers are so last week.

If that's what you're into, you'll have a blast, but it'll be a hard life. It's a good idea to keep your warlockness a secret until you have some power to back up your words.

Azensor

Post by Azensor » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:01 am

o.O seriously.. i thought necromancers would still be reviled

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:30 am

Reactions will also differ radically depending on if you're playing on the surface or in the UD, where (8 times out of 10) nobody bats an eye at a warlock.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:38 am

Azensor wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:01 am
o.O seriously.. i thought necromancers would still be reviled
‘course they are. But a necromancer might not be an animator of the dead for the sake of evil whereas a warlock owes her power to an evil entity that seeks to corrupt etc. Also necromancers can hide in platin siger more easily as they have other powers than their summons while a warlock who does not use eldritch blasts or summons does not have a whole lot going for them

sad_zav

Post by sad_zav » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:16 pm

There are also a lot of people actively hunting warlocks at the moment, so if being pursued and persecuted isn't your thing, watch out
Currently plays Peregrine Gwil and Rick Snyder.

Formerly played Mel Aran, Antoine Moreau, and Zanril.

StrykerMontgomery

Post by StrykerMontgomery » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 am

If there were more druids than warlock right now.. necromancers, or rather animators of dead would be in a hot boat right now.. or rather should be.

I mean a knight who swears fealty to a king, is technically the the beckon call of said king. So really how is a fey, depending on the fey, much different than fealty to an evil king?

ANIMATED UNDEAD HOWEVER is like the universal evil of all DnD regardless if you animate for evil. If we look at Faerun gods are the standards for alignment.. undead pisses off the most gods. All the good gods don't like it, there are neutral deities that specialize in hating undead and pretty much all druids abhor undead as well. Honestly, I would think being a palemaster should be harder than being a warlock because of the strong stigmas against undead.
Currently played characters:
Have not played for over a year, thinking of returning again

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:38 am

StrykerMontgomery wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:34 am
I mean a knight who swears fealty to a king, is technically the the beckon call of said king. So really how is a fey, depending on the fey, much different than fealty to an evil king?
Most knightly characters on Arelith are not sworn to a king, and not all kings - or other rulers with sworn knights, for that matter - hold ill intent.

Pact offering creatures on Arelith are necessarily mechanically non-good or evil. So, it's a little bit metagamey to assume that a Warlock is going to cause problems, based on that, but it's not metagamey at all to assumed that a Warlock is going to cause problems based on the IC historical trend of Warlocks always causing problems.

Necromancers are not always animators, and Pale-Masters have discovered the magical power of sleeves, so both can hide themselves far more easily.

All of these are IC issues that have been debated time and time again, with different regimes being sympathetic to different sides. There is no definitive staff supported ruling about which group is defined as the most nefarious at any given time. That's decided by the collective opinions of IG societies.