PDK Changes ~

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Rwby

PDK Changes ~

Post by Rwby » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 am

Re: Battlecries ~ Can we have this back?

It's great suggesting we roleplay our own and all, but when I'm stuck in the middle of a melee, that's often the last time I want to be typing. Now all my abilities are uninspiring silent, after I went out of my way to pick a thematic voice set.

It feels like a case of fixing a problem that wasn't there.

ProbablyAMage

Re: PDK Changes ~

Post by ProbablyAMage » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:56 am

I like the battlecry removal. Frankly, you're using these abilities so often that it starts to grate after a while. I wish the Barbarian battlecry was similarly removed for the same reason.

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 am

Pretty easy to just press V W R. Voice commands are always a bit fun. And knowing what exactly it is your character says, makes for some fun.

Otherwise, I think it's just one of those quality of life changes, that isn't for everyone.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:10 am

Or just create a macro on your hot bar for your cries?

You can simply create a text display with /tk Your Message and it will do it easily for you.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am

But my hotbar is filled with, like, useful things.

I totally get that there are workarounds. It's just from my perspective, now I have to use a workaround and I didn't before. As a quality of life change for me, this is bad.

I am suprised people found this negatively impacting their playing experience to the degree it required a change ~ I expect from now on we'll just see 90% of PDK's with completely silent battlecries, and 10% with lovely emoted ones. I feel that's a step backwards, not forwards. I appreciate it if the majority of the server feels otherwise, but as this is the feedback forum, I felt I'd feedback.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 am

Can’t macros be tied to a feat or was this something I dreamt? I.e. activating means both feat activation and emote/voiceblurb

Rwby

Post by Rwby » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:45 am

Jagel wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 am
Can’t macros be tied to a feat or was this something I dreamt? I.e. activating means both feat activation and emote/voiceblurb
This would be really, really nice. If that's the case can someone PM me the details? I'll withdraw all my objectons if that's the case.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Jagel wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 am
Something I've dreamed about for a long time too, and something I hope Beamdog will add.

I'm unaware of a way to stack text macros on top of commands, or I'd be doing it, myself.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm

These were removed for a couple reasons.

One, Rallying Cry is an ability that the Knight has no reason not to use every encounter, whether every 3 minutes or every 1.5 minutes. The sheer volume of voice prompts often spammed chat windows and drowned out typed roleplay.

Second, not all players carefully vet their voice sets during character creation - especially those players who play with NWN sound turned off. Even when one does, one's selection of battlecries becomes limited to what is offered by the NWN voice sets. Having a character's battlecry determined by their voice set isn't ideal, in terms of letting players decide what is most fitting for their character.

If you're attached to your voice set battlecry, I would suggest making use of the three button combination as detailed above. Or looking into macros so that you can shout that battlecry at the touch of a single button.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:30 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:59 pm
These were removed for a couple reasons.
The change I really want to see, (and this probably isn't even possible) is naming the ability in the combat log, instead of always "[Character] Sings".

No matter how I emote or battlecry to the contrary, everyone still RPs as if I'm marching into combat like this guy.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Pretty sure that's hard coded.
:)

Ironsoul

Post by Ironsoul » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 pm

If it could also be removed from Barbarians that would be awesome!

My voice set has a hilariously ridiculous battlecry I would rather never see again per 3 minutes!

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:25 pm

Ironsoul wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 pm
If it could also be removed from Barbarians that would be awesome!

My voice set has a hilariously ridiculous battlecry I would rather never see again per 3 minutes!
A fair enough request. Will be looking into this.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.