Build Diversity Insights

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Caiden

Build Diversity Insights

Post by Caiden » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Good morning, everyone!

I'm a long time NWN player but new to Arelith. I'm looking forward to jumping in and getting back into roleplay!

As far as builds go, I was wondering if you all had some insight on build diversity? If you were to take a mental census of the server, what classes would be the most popular? The least? That sort of thing.

Specifically about Paladins, Monks, Druids, and Clerics.

I love crafting stories and finding my niche, but part of my enjoyment is taking lesser known aspects and refining them.

Sorry if this isn't the place for this question!
"I call myself a peaceful warrior, for the battles I fight are on the inside."

Xerah

Re: Build Diversity Insights

Post by Xerah » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Two months ago, Paladins were in short supply. The main Paladin faction has had quite a resurgence so there are a lot these days.

Monks are often quite rare. There is a small faction that you could get involved with, but I’m no expert on that.

Druids will often be numerous since their PvE experience is one of the best ones. There are also a few druid factions (3 I believe)

Clerics, are always scattered around. Given everything revolves around their faith, they can often seem less numerous that others since they do not band togther. Every faction loves having a healer path cleric with them.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Caiden

Post by Caiden » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:37 pm

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you kindly!

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Just gonna mention something not as important here: Not many mundane archer builds out there, most are elven/half-elven arcane archers at most. Otherwise, you see few players dedicate their characters to pure ranged builds. Maybe mostly melee who utilize ranged weaponry from time to time, but as the mechanics of the game goes, only AAs with high enchantment arrows nocked can penetrate a lot of late game mages' wards in both PvE and PvP, thus the disinterest in mundane ranged (non-AA) builds in general.

Caiden

Post by Caiden » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:09 pm

Kenji3108 wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:08 pm
Just gonna mention something not as important here: Not many mundane archer builds out there, most are elven/half-elven arcane archers at most. Otherwise, you see few players dedicate their characters to pure ranged builds. Maybe mostly melee who utilize ranged weaponry from time to time, but as the mechanics of the game goes, only AAs with high enchantment arrows nocked can penetrate a lot of late game mages' wards in both PvE and PvP, thus the disinterest in mundane ranged (non-AA) builds in general.
That is pretty interesting. People probably default to AA because it's the easiest way to get the AB needed for end-game stuff.
I wonder if a Weapon Master crossbow character is possible.
Maybe some sort of witch hunter type of deal? That'd be interesting.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 pm

Unfortunately WM only works with melee weapons.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Caiden

Post by Caiden » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Baron Saturday wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:15 pm
Unfortunately WM only works with melee weapons.
... I've played NWN for over a decade, you would think I would remember that.
Dang it haha

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:48 am

Historically, archers haven't been played very often (regardless of type) because they're extremely tedious. Whereas a melee needs to craft/essence a weapon once, an archer needs to do so for every. Stack. At high levels it becomes an expensive timesink.

I also can't think of a decent mundane archer build off-hand. I guess you'd do okay as a rogue archer in PvE, in the sense that nearly anything can do fine on Arelith. It wouldn't be good, though.