Spear and Bow Ranger

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Truesight

Spear and Bow Ranger

Post by Truesight » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:11 pm

I've been thinking of a concept build with a versatile martial class that can do melee and range as well as having some non-damage tricks.

I think I've settled on a pure 30 ranger. Using Elder dream and shield for melee and all the melee goody feats and the sniper class and bow for ranged options. I'd appreciate any input in terms of optimising the concept/ discussing it's viability. Also input on what 13 favoured/studied enemies to take and when.

Current build:

Ranger - Sniper Path
Human
Str 14 (16 after gift) (24)
Dex 14 (16 after gift)
Con 14
Wis 14
Int 14
Cha 8

1 Expertise + Improved Expertise, Favoured Enemy + point blank shot, rapid shot
3 Weapon Focus spear
5 Favoured Enemy, Studied Enemy
6 Weapon Focus Longbow
9 Imp Crit Spear, called shot
10 Favoured Enemy, Studied Enemy
12 Knockdown
15 Disarm+ Favoured Enemy, Studied Enemy
18 Blind Fight
20 Favoured Enemy, Studied Enemy
21 Bane of Enemies
23 Epic Weapon Focus Spear
24 Armour Skin
25 Epic Weapon Focus Longbow, Studied Enemy
26 Favoured Enemy
27 Epic Prowess
29 Favoured Enemy
30 Epic Strength + Favoured Enemy, Studied Enemy

Comes stock with a level 30 companion with Magic fang buffs, +8 favoured enemy and +8 sniper damage (ranged only unfortunately) and HIPS.

Freyason

Re: Spear and Bow Ranger

Post by Freyason » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:47 pm

It will be suboptimal but it will survive. Why not go weapon finesse with rapier instead so you can concentrate on dex/con instead.

Elder spear really makes no sense for high level ranger (actually been trying to figure out a build that would use it, ever, for a long time haha).

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Elder dream is more of a shifter weapon imho

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:02 pm

There's actually a Ranger Favored & Studied Enemy Guide that goes over what races you might want to pick for that!

As for this build, there's some weaknesses that have to be acknowledged. You have to CC tumble, which is a loss of 3 AC. No UMD isn't totally crippling for PvE, as you'll still have access to some/most divine wands, but will likely be an issue in PvP. Your will save is going to be garbage. Assuming your gear focuses on str/dex, you'll be somewhat squishy with ~360 HP. Your ranged AB will be mediocre at best (~43 v. favored enemies). Your AC probably won't be great? But honestly my brain isn't working well enough to figure that out right now. There's probably other stuff, and I'd go into more detail on stats and gearing, but I'm having a terrible time focusing.

I think the 14 (!!!) favored/studied enemies will be the saving grace of this build, as you'll get 2 AB and 2d6+7 damage against them. You will definitely struggle against non-favored enemies.

Best of luck if you go with this build, and definitely let us know how it turns out!
Last edited by Baron Saturday on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 pm

afreshstart wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:41 pm
Elder dream is more of a shifter weapon imho
Elder Dream is great for a str-based ranger btw.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:40 pm

It's better to go shortswords or kukris if you wan't to use a shield as a ranger I think. You can switch to dual weilding when the shield is not needed and deal more damage then you'd with the spear.

Truesight

Post by Truesight » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:48 am

Thanks guys, it seems it will be suboptimal but not unviable which works I guess.
Any thoughts on the benefits of cross classing? For example would giving up the 7 levels of ranger for 4 fighter/3 bard be worthwhile? (Would it be possible to Epic weapon Spec in Spear and Longbow?)

Dual wielding is likely going to be difficult as if I go normal ranger I lose the sniper feats for Dual Wielding ones, and I need to find two feats for Point blank and Rapid shot.

afreshstart

Post by afreshstart » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:07 am

Well elder dream is a good choice if you'll pick a path but still there are better items to build around, but a bit harder to obtain (like blade of elements a long sword,if you 5% keen it you are golden) and I don't think you can grab 2 EWFs with 4 fighter levels.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:31 am

Anyone who 5% keens a Blade of the Elements should also buy a lottery ticket that week.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Truesight wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:48 am
Thanks guys, it seems it will be suboptimal but not unviable which works I guess.
Any thoughts on the benefits of cross classing? For example would giving up the 7 levels of ranger for 4 fighter/3 bard be worthwhile? (Would it be possible to Epic weapon Spec in Spear and Longbow?)

Dual wielding is likely going to be difficult as if I go normal ranger I lose the sniper feats for Dual Wielding ones, and I need to find two feats for Point blank and Rapid shot.
23 ranger/4 fighter/3 rogue is definitely a more "standard" build. No way you'd be able to pick up EWS for both spear and longbow, though - that's four extra feats you'd need to cram in, all of them available only at fighter 4 or higher. Personally I would suggest focusing on the melee weapon.

If you wanted to go for a dual-wield ranger, you'd basically want to skip point blank shot (since you'll be switching to melee at that range anyhow), drop disarm and choose between rapid shot and called shot - I'd do called shot, as it can also be used in melee. Honestly, though? Trying to focus both longbow and spear just feels like a huge headache, resulting in an awkward str/dex hybrid.