Clarification on Riding

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Nevrus
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Clarification on Riding

Post by Nevrus » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:57 am

Hello!

When I attempted to summon my Paladin mount when I first got it, I got a message that says "You need the legacy Riding Reward to summon this mount."

However, on the wiki page for Riding:
http://wiki.arelith.com/Riding

It states that only 6 ranks of Ride are required to ride mounts, with more ranks equating to better riding skill.

If I were to take 6 ranks+ of Ride, would I be able to use my Summon Mount feature?

Thanks!
Ganus- Riding the Isle (Active)
Aura Bigstep - Got Out Ahead (Retired)
Egos Ironhide - Shelved
Consult a medical professional before believing anything Nevrus says.

Dorkas

Re: Clarification on Riding

Post by Dorkas » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:38 am

I asked about this as well before and was told it was intentional. Super lame, I know.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:39 pm

I think that the paladin's mount is disabled? Or something like that.
Hit me on the head when you find out. I've been meaning to write it down clearly for as long as all the ride stuff has been around.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Teshil

Post by Teshil » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:47 pm

They have intentionally made the ride system vague. It’s been a point of contention all year.

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Teshil wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:47 pm
They have intentionally made the ride system vague. It’s been a point of contention all year.
This is not true in the present. It has been stated what each horse type does (Varying Speeds and Ride easiness), what ride does (Add +1 AC to what Tumble would do, with a max of +6 at 30).

For clarification, the legacy ride award was how you used to be able to ride horses, via a normal reward you gain after deleting a high level enough character. Unless your character has this, you cannot summon a paladin mount, and once all characters with this cease to exist, no one can.

More than six ranks in ride mean:
Easier Time riding.
Faster riding speed.
Better Retained AC.
Please don't feed my sister.

Teshil

Post by Teshil » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks! What level of ride is the minimum needed to ride everything in all non-combat cases?

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:16 pm

6 unmodified ranks.

If you don't have that, and you try to mount a horse, it'll tell you the minimum.

Void

Post by Void » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Teshil wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:12 pm
Thanks! What level of ride is the minimum needed to ride everything in all non-combat cases?
10..15 points is recommended.

It is technically possible to ride horses with 6 points in ride skill, but many of them will randomly throw you to the ground and run away. (Well, they don't technically run away. They run half a screen away, and either stop or return to you and you can climb on the horse again). Getting thrown on the ground hurts and deals HP damage.

Oh, and 6 points means base ranks.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Teshil

Post by Teshil » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:38 pm

I meant to ask: what is the minimum amount of ranks to have no problems riding any horse not in combat?

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Don't think thats actually been disclosed as different horses have different CR's.

Teshil

Post by Teshil » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:55 pm

Alright, thanks.

PinataPlethora

Post by PinataPlethora » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Around 30 would be my guess.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:26 am

Get 33 or nothing, as the devs have been persistently vague about what the numbers mean, going so far to say that the system is so complex it cannot be explained.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:09 am

DM Titania wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 pm
Teshil wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:47 pm
This is not true in the present. It has been stated what each horse type does (Varying Speeds and Ride easiness), what ride does (Add +1 AC to what Tumble would do, with a max of +6 at 30).

For clarification, the legacy ride award was how you used to be able to ride horses, via a normal reward you gain after deleting a high level enough character. Unless your character has this, you cannot summon a paladin mount, and once all characters with this cease to exist, no one can.

More than six ranks in ride mean:
Easier Time riding.
Faster riding speed.
Better Retained AC.
I need to disagree here.

There are plenty of unexplained aspects, being in combat or out of combat apparently matters for the ride DC, as does the 'race' of the PC and the 'race' of the horse, with an Ork riding an Elven steed mentioned as counting specifically. There's also the fact that, at least the last time I used ride, you can fall off under ideal conditions over rolling a secret 1 (ride checks are not shown, nor are DC's), and I see no mention of this ever being changed in the updates thread, despite some talk that it should be. Horse breeds are also complete mystery, with some being outright bugged with penguin portraits that need to be reported so they can be fixed, or some having a secret bonus to some number or ride check or speed or spell failure. This is despite most server custom pc-accessable creatures (golems, summons, undead) having detailed stat breakdowns on the wiki, but it's just missing on horses. This info is also critically needed, as two horses handle identically but shouldn't (I was unable to notice any specific difference when riding a Nightmare, and fell off as often as riding the basic horses) make the ride system and any possible bonus even more of a mystery.

There are a ton of unknowns about the current ride system, and due to the 'secret' nature of the skill, that is, the game does not tell you what you failed to do when your horse bucks you off (it does not show your ride check or the DC you failed or any contributing factors), there's no way to know what's wrong when you fall flat on your butt walking from Cordor to the Tower.

It is a very contentions system, to be sure.
\

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:49 pm

That's not very "secret" though, for it's also stated that to avoid falling in all circumstances, you need at least 30 ranks in ride. So a "secret 1" is not accurate, because there is a condition in which you will not fall off, and pack horses you don't fall off on generally anyway. The falling off condition was fixed so it didn't happen as much (As far as I have experienced) as it did when it first happened.

Horse Breeds are also not a "complete mystery". There's a difference between bugged and mystery. It's stated that wild horses are faster. As above, it's also stated that racial catered horses respond poorly to other races. The only thing that isn't stated is the DC the Ride check is going against, if the system works that way even.

The stat breakdowns on horses isn't very important as it is for summoned creatures (They are not meant for fighting), but you can also easily see the difference IG after claiming the horse and then examining it. This could then be added to the wiki by any user, if they wished to divulge that time. This is honestly the same for Nightmares, which do probably equate a basic horse, except, why would any good aligned character /want/ to ride one?

The only thing you can't see in regards to the system is the number crunching behind it. The user knows that better success varies with easier horses, and those are stated.

Finally, it's still not a complete system. The only thing that can't be learned and eventually added to the wiki for the hard need to know data wanters is the number crunching in the background, but it's not a priority for me to work on and add until it's complete.

The answer to the OP is simply 30, not 33. Less with some horses, especially basic ones, but 30 to be safe with any horse in any situation.
Please don't feed my sister.