Planetouched questions

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Lost in the dark

Planetouched questions

Post by Lost in the dark » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:59 am

Are the base races for the Planetouched restricted to the original races only i.e. could you play a Strongheart Halfling Tiefling or a Gold Elf Aasimar or would they need to Lightfoot and Moon elf respectively?

In addition with the +1ECL does that mean you can only take one Stat increase Gift and not two?

Just curious in case I ever get lucky with a reward roll :-)

The_Queen~s_Rebuke

Re: Planetouched questions

Post by The_Queen~s_Rebuke » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:07 am

Planetouched are separate subraces - if you make an aasimar elf, it is just an aasimar, and you cannot choose between moon elf, wood elf, sun elf, etc. Roleplay wise, of course, you can say they have the traces of them.

As for stat increases, I think someone who made one recently with the gift systems would need to answer, hah.
hållö hållö wəlcöme to mý cæv

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:21 am

Lost in the dark wrote:In addition with the +1ECL does that mean you can only take one Stat increase Gift and not two?
Yes. Basically you pick a Bloodline (Brutality, Lethality, whatever) and then you can pick one more major or minor gift. But the bloodlines come with stat bonuses of their own.
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:30 am

To quote from the Wiki

"Bloodlines
At character creation, an aasimar may select a bloodline at the cost of an increased +1 ECL. Only one can be chosen and once chosen it cannot be modified.

Bloodline of Duty: +2 STR, +2 CON, -2 CHA, -2 WIS.
Bloodline of Grace: +2 DEX, +2 CON, -2 CHA.
Bloodline of Perception: +2 WIS, +2 CHA, -2 DEX.
Bloodline of Splendor: +2 CHA, +2 CON, -2 DEX.
Bloodline of Acumen: +2 INT, +2 CON, -2 DEX.
The base race abilities and Gifts may be taken on top of the bloodline, thus stacking the bonus further. The increased ECL from the bloodline does not limit the selection of gifts in any way."

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:48 am

Aasimar/tiefling is a little more confusing than a typical base race.

You have +1 ECL from being planetouched. This means you can choose 1 major and one minor gift, as shown here.

Additionally, as a planetouched you can choose a bloodline at an additional cost of +1 ECL. This is on top of the +1 ECL you already have from being planetouched in the first place, and doesn't affect the number of gifts you can get, which are already set by the fact that planetouched races are +1 ECL base.

So as a planetouched, you get:
  • Planetouched stats
  • Bloodline
  • 1 major gift
  • 1 minor gift
This is why the section you quoted reads:
Bloodlines
At character creation, an aasimar may select a bloodline at the cost of an increased +1 ECL.
(emphasis added)

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:06 am

OK the ECL and number of GIfts are now clear, thanks for that.

For the Plantouched stats I am still not entirely sure how this works. Does every Aasimar have the same base stats as suggested above or is it driven by a base race and if driven from a base race can that race be a Sun Elf for example?

And thank you for your patience!

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:28 am

That question was answered above.
The_Queen~s_Rebuke wrote:Planetouched are separate subraces - if you make an aasimar elf, it is just an aasimar, and you cannot choose between moon elf, wood elf, sun elf, etc. Roleplay wise, of course, you can say they have the traces of them.
If you start an elf character and select the aasimar option, there is no way to also select sun elf (or any other elven subrace). You are an aasimar elf, not an aasimar sun elf, though you could roleplay being a sun elf without the sun elf stats.

This makes it tricky to try to be something like a drow tiefling I suppose, but that might be a concept you could talk to the admins about.

Thanatosis

Post by Thanatosis » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 am

tfw can't play goblin tiefling

why live
BegoneThoth wrote:Hardcore player here

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:33 am

Could be a major reward request I suppose.

Lost in the dark

Post by Lost in the dark » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:52 am

Got it. Thanks.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:04 pm

Lorkas wrote:That question was answered above.
The_Queen~s_Rebuke wrote:Planetouched are separate subraces - if you make an aasimar elf, it is just an aasimar, and you cannot choose between moon elf, wood elf, sun elf, etc. Roleplay wise, of course, you can say they have the traces of them.
If you start an elf character and select the aasimar option, there is no way to also select sun elf (or any other elven subrace). You are an aasimar elf, not an aasimar sun elf, though you could roleplay being a sun elf without the sun elf stats.

This makes it tricky to try to be something like a drow tiefling I suppose, but that might be a concept you could talk to the admins about.
Its been done before. If I remember right, the player had to go with a human model and race because elves don't have the horned head model. They just had black skin and white hair to go with it though.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)