Alignments.

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Alignments.

Post by Aren » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Two questions:

1. Do players actually RP their alignments?

I've heard that (most) players just pick chaotic neutral or neutral to be "smite immune". <- This is just what I've heard. So take it with a grain of salt.

2. Are there any ramifications to not RP'ing your alignment?

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

With The Sky Below My Feet

Re: Alignments.

Post by With The Sky Below My Feet » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:33 pm

1. Yes
2. Yes

You're expected to play your character at all times. Including your alignment.

If you have a feeling someone is not playing their alignment, report it.

DMs will occassionally supervise individual characters and see if they act according to their alignments. If you're hoping for an RPB raise, not playing your alignment is probably not a good indicator for you deserving such. RPB docks are also possible, in some cases.

Unfortunately, you can argue that it can be easy to justify your character's evil ways and label them CN.

This whole point shouldn't really exist, but there's a subculture that comes with a 'must win' mindset.
Last edited by With The Sky Below My Feet on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suddenly everyone's smiling.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:34 pm

Yes to both, as far as I know. The chaotic neutral thing is A. kind of a meme (though it does and did happen, but not on the 'most' scale) and B. kind of moot now that stacking prot from evil and good gives you mind protection vs neutrals.

That's not to say there aren't outliers that roll a neutral and play them as Basically Evil, but it's not as widespread, I would think, as we like to say it is. And the people that do that are, uh, probably doing other things that'd get them negative dm attention, anyway.
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Szaren wrote:Two questions:

1. Do players actually RP their alignments?

I've heard that (most) players just pick chaotic neutral or neutral to be "smite immune". <- This is just what I've heard. So take it with a grain of salt.

2. Are there any ramifications to not RP'ing your alignment?
1) In my expeirence, yes, yes they do.

2) Yes there are. In most cases it's more taken into account in RpR rating terms than anything else, but we do sometimes offer/suggest shifts of alignments. We rarely do enforced alignment changes, and generally when we do it's just a few points, not entire shifts. I mean I won't say it never happens, but it is rare.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:09 pm

Yeah, but if your a LG cleric committing mass genocide on the local orphanage...you should PROBABLY expect an alignment shift and a chat with the friendly neighborhood DMs about your plans for your char!

Aren
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aren » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:39 pm

With The Sky Below My Feet wrote: Unfortunately, you can argue that it can be easy to justify your character's evil ways and label them CN.
That's the thing. CN is just one of those: "I do whatever I want" kind of alignment - and as you say, has an easy time justifying all kinds of actions.

But thanks for giving me your two cents on the matter guys.

".. the other number that isn't 18." - Jack Oat
".. but- someone is still pumping the brakes sometimes, right? ...right?" - Batcountry

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:51 pm

I personally recommend this site as alignment reference, I find it's explanations neat.

http://easydamus.com/chaoticneutral.html

There's a line on when you are going to evil that even CN won't draw. Haer'Dalis from BGII was constantly getting into trouble across all the planes, but he's clearly neither good nor evil despite being a tiefling. And if you find yourself in-between, you may want to pick the good or evil axis over the neutral. We've shifted CN's before, as rare as we do alignment shifts for being more clearly evil.
Please don't feed my sister.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:24 pm

Players actually roleplay their alignments, yeah.

Alignments, out of all the many mechanics that we have, can be confusing and obscure when we delve into situations with many philosophical interpretations, so it's hard to determine when somebody may be breaking alignment because there are too many factors to consider in the narrative.
For that precise reason, you'll also rarely see people being shifted from one to the other.

Now, as an actual protip:
You will hear salt from all manners of characters. New players, veterans, occasionally even DMs complaining about one thing or another, exaggerating and overdramatizing something.
While there are players that irrevocably may play solely to fulfill some power fantasy and will take the MOST OPTIMAL path at every turn, the vast majority of players in Arelith tend to find a good balance between their builds and the theme of their character.

CN is an alignment that may seem to have fewer restrictions. Some players may find this appealing, and thus it may be more common to see CN characters. I don't really know. We don't have any public statistic about the alignment selection in the server, though I'm curious to see one now.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 pm

Playing a consistently inconsistent free spirit can be actually more challenging than playing a generic cookie cutter LG paladin.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Not to turn this into a CN thing, but if all a CN does it hang out with evil and do evil things then they aren't neutral, but evil. CN is the one day you may build an orphanage and next week you might burn it down type.
Yes the server is good for people playing their alignments, but like any place you will be left scratching your head at times.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:03 am

Remember that there are multiple ways to play each alignment. No two characters with the same alignment will act the same or have the same set of morals (or lackof).

Playing CN is not as easy as it sounds, as someone else mentioned previously. It is much easier to fall into the TN category.

flower

Post by flower » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 am

CN is about own freedom.

If CN commits evil acts without being forced to protect own freedom then he is not chaotic neutral.

It is not a lunatic who will burn orphanage down just because of sudden move of mind, no. That is CE.

CN will kill to keep himself free and feel no regrets but he won't jump aside the road to kill random farmer on field.