So...

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Xerah

Re: So...

Post by Xerah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:38 pm

It would be very nice to know what is happening with existing artifacts. It's confusing why it is left as a secret. I would like to know if I need to find/make new gear. It's not even a big deal to my character but I imagine it would be more so to others.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Could be what will happen exactly is still being tinkered with, but they're giving an IG warning that artefacts, as they are, aren't long for this world.
:)

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:50 pm

Passing things on IC is fine.

Passing things on OOC is not. It is an obvious exploitation for mechanical gain.

You can tell via the logs with the frequency this happens between sets of particular players.

The script is in no way infallible.
Arelith Wiki wrote:Muling is the transfer of items from one character to another, usually between two of the same player's characters, though not necessarily. Any item you attempt to mule gets deleted and your reported to the DMs. However, it's an exploit, and horrible RP. Try to rationalize it as you will, there is no Role Play reason for a character to just happen to give items to someone they've never met, nor can possibly be involved with. And they can't. So don't. Whatever benefit you think you can reap from muling will not be worth the punishment it incurs. We will normally delete the characters used in the mule if this occurs, or your entire character vault if there appears to be a pattern, or if you're a repeat offender.
The primary difference between the rune-crafting and the artefact system in terms of muling potential is the huge, gaping divide in power and accessibility. So no, it doesn't eliminate the muling problem, but it reigns in its affects dramatically.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

flower

Post by flower » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:48 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:
flower wrote:
Sockss wrote:Muling of artefacts is very common, unfortunately.

Then go and report it, or it did not happen. Blank accusation can toss around anyone.
Muling is common. When you see someone grinding a level 20ish area and they have multiple almost maximized arties, it really makes you think.

Glad they're all turning to dust.

Then go ahead and report it.

Instead of bragging about it on forums. Or you do not know who does it and just toss accusations on forum. And often things may be in reality far different than they look like.

For example my character had minor artefact (nothing game breaking just some plain uni saves) from level 15th. Just because befriended a character and said character bought the item for her.

That character also enchanted all her gear for almost no cost. And no, i have no OOC contact on its player, never played with him before, and play with permanently turned off tells. I'm sorry that i ruin your picture.

Edit: Also i will repeat myself, but i do not bother about what other PCs own or not. Why should I? I care only for how they role play, is all. If they run with one artefact or hundred is not my concern. Removing artefacts will not prevent from mulling. If you keep removing powerful items because of mulling then you end up with no such items IG which will hurt you as anyone else.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:01 pm

Why are you so offended.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Why are you getting so personally invested? This isn't about your character or whatever items they may have or how you got them, it's about removing overpowering items from the player pools.
\

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:58 pm

Cortex wrote:Could be what will happen exactly is still being tinkered with, but they're giving an IG warning that artefacts, as they are, aren't long for this world.
Ok so my minor artifact may be going poof soon, then what? Does this really mean you have to roll your character before it goes poof for the bonus?

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:04 pm

I would assume.

But you don't have to re-roll if you like the character sans items.
\

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Ummm I hope that not the case that seem horrible if its we're taking this from you and if you want to be repaid for it roll your toon, if you don't want to troll your toon you get nothing and lose the item.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:09 pm

Surely something else will be offered as an option to those of us who don't plan on rolling the characters.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Sab1 wrote:Ummm I hope that not the case that seem horrible if its we're taking this from you and if you want to be repaid for it roll your toon, if you don't want to troll your toon you get nothing and lose the item.
:shrug: they had to get removed for the good of the server.
\

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:24 pm

Simply saying if it does come to if you want the bonus roll then roll your toon by a certain date if not you get nothing doesn't really sound like a great solution. Will be good to hear an offical word on this. I don't really care if they get removed or not, just doesn't seem right if it comes down to you lose it and get nothing if you aren't willing to delete your character by a certain date.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:For the purposes of roll reward value, it will make no difference whether you roll with an artefact now or later.

Xuuldar

Post by Xuuldar » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:15 pm

So, I have a couple characters with Artifacts, but they are all fairly crappy artifacts. None of them are even close to the same level as these super OP ones people have mentioned or posted. When i log in, I get no messages about them. So does this mean that only the crazy OP ones are dying and the crappy ones aren't?

Could we maybe get an official explanation instead of conspiracy theories and conjecture?

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Sockss wrote:Passing things on IC is fine.

Passing things on OOC is not. It is an obvious exploitation for mechanical gain.

You can tell via the logs with the frequency this happens between sets of particular players.

The script is in no way infallible.
As the age-old saying on Arelith goes "Report it or it didn't happen."
There's not a lot of DM's but a metric boatload of players, it'd be unreasonable to expect them to look through all the logs all the time. And just quantity doesn't help anyone. The logs would show that Jimmy the epic Wizard is giving out high-value items like candy to low level characters, that doesn't mean he's doing it OOC or breaking the rules, he could just be a generous fellow. If he gets reported with a screenshot about him bragging in tells about how he gives all his OOC friends though, the DM's actually have something to go on.

So instead of complaining on the forums about all this 'muling' that you apparently know is going on and have evidence of, send it to the DM's so they can actually do something about it.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:38 pm

Cortex wrote:
yellowcateyes wrote:For the purposes of roll reward value, it will make no difference whether you roll with an artefact now or later.
Thank You Cortex

Xuuldar,
I notice the message when I transition servers.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:48 pm

Perhaps when your artifact go poof, your char still gets a tag so that you can get the chance for the bonus when you roll them (as one normally would). THey are unlikely to remove artefacts and make you lose your bonus chance.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:55 pm

My understanding is that the warning and foreshadowing without elaboration is to give an IG explanation for characters to notice their artefacts are gone awry, and it's worth looking into other methods of gear if they've none. While the exact changes are still under development.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:20 am

Haven't seen any of the 'replacement system' items yet, but I'm hoping they're no where near as powerful as the artifacts were.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:32 am

So if I log in Imrae this summer are her two whole artefacts gonna randomly break when I cast a spell/a goblin hurls some dung her way

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Are the dev's asleep?

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Nobody knows anything but the devs . If they are not being specific it's because they are not prepared to do so yet --i.e. they aren't finished enough. I would not worry about artifacts "breaking" or whatever. Oh, it may happen and it's very likely all artifacts are going to be removed, but I just would not worry about it. The fact that people are stressing out at the thought of losing artifacts is only another reason why they wre removed to begin with.

've come to the realization that players on Arelith a a little like beta testers. It's not that things are not tested, it's that things don't always go as the devs think they will and it's good to see they are keeping an eye on wht's happening.

THings like this are for the better, really they are.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Black Wendigo wrote:The fact that people are stressing out at the thought of losing artifacts is only another reason why they wre removed to begin with.
This doesn't make sense to me.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Illegitimizing people's feelings of frustration isn't a good practice. Whether you support artefacts or not, they were a time investment many people made, and their efforts are now mostly wasted.
Intelligence is too important

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:37 pm

This is breaking my heart :-/