Artifact removal discussion.

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

BegoneThoth

Artifact removal discussion.

Post by BegoneThoth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:38 pm

And the big one...

- Artifact system removed

This will be replaced with gold that will increase over time. Eventually we will look at at something similarly rewarding but without obvious issues artifacts entailed.

Existing artifacts remain in place (for now).
Discuss thoughts and opinions here.
\

Improv

Re: Artifact removal discussion.

Post by Improv » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:47 pm

Don't know how exactly but I'd like to see it replaced with a "masterpiece" system for epic crafting. As in the ability for epic crafters to create artifact equivalent items with abilities of their choice that actually fit a theme instead of being randomized. Make it extremely difficult and time consuming of course so it takes months just to make one.

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Glad to see them gone.

Edit for elaboration: Mostly due to the disappointment of 20+ times of not finding a single thing in those chests.

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Voidstone Roulette

Post by Voidstone Roulette » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:51 pm

>Remain in place for now.

What are the plans being discussed for existing artefacts. Will they be taken away with no compensation? Swapped for less powerful items on a case by case basis?
0 Bonus: Does not stay in character, rushes around from spawn to spawn killing things with little to no interaction.

Venach

Post by Venach » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:55 pm

As long as there is some reason for level 30s to go out and adventure with something besides ((gold)) being the main motivation.

Otherwise, Arelith will continue to degrade into a social RP 2nd life-esque game.

greatfanfare

Post by greatfanfare » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Only ONCE I found an artifact that it was better than basin enchanted gear, 99% empty or bashed chests/altars.

I don't have artifact-envy of those who have a group to go kill epic bosses every day and I don't care about it.

I just hope current artifacts in use are replaced by a tailored item inside the rules of basin enchanting, instead of leaving your char naked and having to find an epic enchanter and wait for days until he/she can roll the dice many times to finish the object.

Xanos950

Post by Xanos950 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:37 pm

greatfanfare wrote:
I don't have artifact-envy of those who have a group to go kill epic bosses every day and I don't care about it....

I just hope current artifacts in use are replaced by a tailored item inside the rules of basin enchanting,...
In other words. "I have no envy - but take their artefacts away anyway because I'm envious."

That aside, i hope current artefacts are left as is, because they are well.. Artefacts. What's an artefact? A rare and or old, sometimes very powerful item.

What are artefacts now that they're no longer obtainable? Rare and old, sometimes very powerful items.

Now you can actually hand down artefacts as your legacy. I like it. Keep 'em existing but trash the chest system.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:42 pm

An epic crafting system would be ideal. Some sort of gate where PCs have to focus the majority of their trade crafting points (like, 50+) into that skill. We have runes for enchanters, so...
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:52 pm

I dont really like this change.

Played for a year and a half, never got a single artefact.

I was given an artifact by a friend and still have it.

artifacts being replaced with more gold is about the worst replacement that there could be, there is literally nothing to spend money on, not when you have millions and millions and millions of gold. I dont need any more gold. taking away the only thing that can really be bought for high amounts of gold just feels like the currency lost a lot of worth.

if artifacts can be handed down a family line, that would be pretty cool, but I suspect next will be the "you cant fix artefacts anymore" which would just be objectively terrible.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:03 am

It says the gold is temporary. Something else will go in its place, eventually.

The way you use artifacts is no doubt, the original intent. The problem becomes when someone fills every slot with artifacts and balance goes out the window.
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:11 am

Diilicious wrote:I dont really like this change.

Played for a year and a half, never got a single artefact.

I was given an artifact by a friend and still have it.

artifacts being replaced with more gold is about the worst replacement that there could be, there is literally nothing to spend money on, not when you have millions and millions and millions of gold. I dont need any more gold. taking away the only thing that can really be bought for high amounts of gold just feels like the currency lost a lot of worth.

if artifacts can be handed down a family line, that would be pretty cool, but I suspect next will be the "you cant fix artefacts anymore" which would just be objectively terrible.
I’m sure they would be open to ideas, but this doesn’t seem entirely constructive.

Purplemyst
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Purplemyst » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:15 am

What about a system where you get a special currency from the artefact shrinees to purchase more powerful gear from an npc or rare crafting materials. A limit could be put in place of how much of that currency you can earn a day.

Edit - You could earn say 5 of the currency per rl day. The powerful gear would cost like 100 and materials like 50.
Last edited by Purplemyst on Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

greatfanfare

Post by greatfanfare » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:18 am

Xanos950 wrote:
greatfanfare wrote:
I don't have artifact-envy of those who have a group to go kill epic bosses every day and I don't care about it....

I just hope current artifacts in use are replaced by a tailored item inside the rules of basin enchanting,...
In other words. "I have no envy - but take their artefacts away anyway because I'm envious."
To put words in the mouth of others isn't a good way to begin a productive discussion.

I never wrote that I don't have artifacts, I wrote that I only FOUND ONE that was useful.

Voidstone Roulette

Post by Voidstone Roulette » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:28 am

This is an idea I quite like. 50~ of (UNDEFINED ARTEFACT REPLACEMENT RESOURCE GOES HERE) for each resource. The amount of resources depend on why you want crafted and then you need another chunk of (UNDEFINED ARTEFACT REPLACEMENT RESOURCE) to craft the item.
0 Bonus: Does not stay in character, rushes around from spawn to spawn killing things with little to no interaction.

Dinosaur Space Program

Post by Dinosaur Space Program » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:48 am

I guess I was just one of those people who never really sought them out, but 1 out of 5 times would get a good one in a dungeon the few times I ran into chests. Pretty much the only artifacts I ever found were goods ones but for a single exception.

Personally, I would rather burn my small pile I have currently and everyone do the same to even the playing field a little for long term server balance.

Conceptually it is pretty neat to think of passing them down, etc. but there are some very powerful ones drifting around and some collections that are a little broken.

They did make epic dungeons a little more exciting with the promise of 'Well maybe something neat no one has ever seen before!' but if a fun alternative is put in that doesn't break the game, that is way more important.
“The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program. And if we become extinct because we don't have a space program, it'll serve us right!”
-Larry Niven

Historical Character List (Updated 9/20/19)

Mouthy Expert

Post by Mouthy Expert » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:01 am

Venach wrote:As long as there is some reason for level 30s to go out and adventure with something besides ((gold)) being the main motivation.

Otherwise, Arelith will continue to degrade into a social RP 2nd life-esque game.
thanks for the insightful social commentary, guy who registered two minutes before making this post.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:02 am

I would favor a system, if it's possible, that rewards exploration rather than a grindy "daily quest" system that rewards people with more play time.

I get that people with more playtime will invariably stumble upon more goodies, though.

Dorkas

Post by Dorkas » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:13 am

Both happy and disappointed by this change. I hope a better system is devised in the future that's equally as enticing, but less broken for the ppl who only ever horde them, who are now Gods among the server.

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:17 am

Artifacts can be awarded in lieu of XP rewards after completing DM quests? Just a thought.

Nothing major or gamebreaking.

Eters

Post by Eters » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:24 am

If I was personally asked about what I'd view as a good replacement for artefacts, I'd say that a system that rewards crafting would work well. If one was to be a master in a certain craft, 50+ points? The option "Create runic" would be added to them. Allowing them to craft whatever they are crafting. Let's say ...a mithril breastplate, with a runic propriety. How the chances of succeess would be counted, what algorythm or maths it would follow, i wouldn't know. I'm just a Pleb. But something like 50 crafting points give you a flat 5% chance of success, every 2 points above fifty add 1% chances of success, perhaps if the DC of the item is lower than 30 the chances of success are again augmented by a margin for %? If the creation of the runic item fails the item is automatically broken. And all your crafting points are wasted, would avoid abuse perhaps?

greatfanfare

Post by greatfanfare » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:34 am

Eters wrote:If I was personally asked about what I'd view as a good replacement for artefacts, I'd say that a system that rewards crafting would work well. [...] And all your crafting points are wasted, would avoid abuse perhaps?
If I understood your proposal correctly, that would lead to characters created to min/max solely crafting and being taken along by their OOC friends for the XP train, so he can craft the unique stuff for them and nothing else.

Or maybe I didn't.

Eters

Post by Eters » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:49 am

Yeah, that would totally ruin it..I must say that It completely left my mind that such a possibility existed. A shame. Well...and idea's just an idea.

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:12 am

My hope is that we don't end up with another Mithril Dust/Leaves of the Dreaming tree which are very difficult to get a hold of and basically makes those craftable items outside the reach of a good chunk of the playerbase. That those same craftable items are also limited to being crafted by smaller subsets of the playerbase with a high crafting point (runic rangers is 56 which means you're a ranger tailor and basically nothing else) makes them even more difficult to ever use.

I think it'd be interesting to replace Artefacts with multi-runic items - find a pair of gloves with +1 dex and 2x runic so you can add two of anything onto it. Or find a blade with 3x runic and nothing else, so you can give it 2 elements and keen, or something.
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

dallion43
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by dallion43 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:14 am

- Artifact system removed
This will be replaced with gold that will increase over time. Eventually we will look at at something similarly rewarding but without obvious issues artifacts entailed.
Existing artifacts remain in place (for now).
I personally, have limited time to play and changed a few PCs, so I never seen one artifact on my PCs. But until know I was very happy to know Arelith has *end game* content at lvl 30. Yeah, RP in a tavern or running a dungeon with friends PCs with pointless gold in the end chest also are *end game* content. Yeah, Arelith hails RP and isn't lineage. Yeah, bla bla bla...
But for me, and I am sure many others with similar approach that usually don't post on the forums, feelings about this can be to some extent summarized with the following quote:
Venach wrote:As long as there is some reason for level 30s to go out and adventure with something besides ((gold)) being the main motivation.
While there is nothing bad with it on it's own, but being more flexible in what Arelith's *end game* has to offer will keep the player base full like it is now and it will keep growing due to that.

P.C
Eventually we will look at at something similarly rewarding
Please don't put this on the far away non priority shelf, amount of players that probably care a lot about it might surprise you :p.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:05 am

There is already crafting items one can make for extremely skilled crafters, problem is it's another need to spend a fortune to get anything made as ingredients are hard to find so you need to spend a few hundred thousand gold just for the ingredients.

Guess no point in buying any artifacts in shops now since they are most likely going to be removed also.