Enchanced Edition - Discussion

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Roketter

Re: Enchanced Edition - Discussion

Post by Roketter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:19 pm

I just want them to let sorcs and bards who take palemaster lvls to take new spells when they get spellslots. Here's hoping!

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Post your ideas to Beamdog's forums, you never know, they might make it happen.
Please don't feed my sister.

All The Sinners Saints

Post by All The Sinners Saints » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:58 pm

http://store.steampowered.com/app/74468 ... verwinter/

First dlc announced. 10 new portraits.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Will this DLC be required to play on Arelith? Is it true if you don't have the new portraits you see an advertisement to buy the DLC like other games do when people are missing content?
\

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:21 pm

The portraits are already in the game (I made a character with one of the ones in the screenshots when I downloaded the early access, presumably to be patched out later, unless the DLC is free) So likely you'll be able to see the portraits fine when used by others, but be unable to use them yourself if you do not own the DLC.

EDIT: It's because I have the deluxe edition, it adds the portraits. The DLC is for those who wants the portraits but don't want to get the full deluxe edition.

Improv

Post by Improv » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:35 pm

If there turns out to be an advertisement for DLC I will take back every nice thing I said in defense of Beamdog. Not even particularly crazy about this direction or having nickel and dime DLC for sale before the game is even really out.

Likely another player without the DLC will either be able to see the portraits or you'll get the hooded no-face though, right?

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:36 pm

Everyone will just extract them and add the manually because literally nothing will stop them.

Improv

Post by Improv » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 pm

I kind of wonder what's next though-- like are they going to make new outfits and heads DLC? Or new classes and races at some point? I'm totally on board with $20 for the EE and maybe an expansion pack down the line but I am not crazy about (or going to pay) $1 here, $5 there for DLC-- and they darn well better always keep it optional including the experience for those who didn't pay.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:47 pm

Any of those are possible.
\

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:46 am

How I hope it is handled is that Arelith will not delve into the micro-transaction DLCs that come out to include portraits and small bits. I feel the only ones that the server would benefit from would be expansion packs to the base game that add new features, classes and toolset options.

And, as always, Irongron and the team would communicate the path they would take. They do not want you to constantly have to spend out of your pocket.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:08 am

Is having to buy new DLC that includes new spells and classes any different then needing to buy HOTU?

I say no, and expect that to be the path EE and Arelith take.
\

Improv

Post by Improv » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:10 am

There's a difference, doling out little trinkets for a few bucks apiece is just an annoying trend in gaming to me and not something I want to have to stay on top of, nor would I want Beamdog hyping them at me every time I opened the game.

Little cosmetic things like portraits can be avoided but it will be interesting to see what happens if they do something like add their own wild mage and kensai classes or svirfs and drow for $5 apiece. Which is something they did do with the Icewind Dale and Baldurs Gate reissues. I don't think it will be good for the PW community at all.

We'll see.. I will try not to doom and gloom all over it but DLC already makes me wary!

DarknessOfDespair

Post by DarknessOfDespair » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 am

I'd just like to point out, anything they make in DLC's, more then likely devs of the community will be able to make the same or better. The ability to do it easily was just never there before

Skalding

Post by Skalding » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:04 am

Can we get NWN on mobile, plz??? Kthanxbai

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:07 am

DLC for a 15 year old game sounds like a money grab to me. It is pure BS.

Purplemyst
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Purplemyst » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 am

I think they should focus their attention on making $20 worth paying for the game first. I’ve been 100 percent behind EE until I heard about the dlc.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:41 am

Black Wendigo wrote:DLC for a 15 year old game sounds like a money grab to me. It is pure BS.
It's weird, because for Age of Empires 2 Enhanced? It was the exact opposite reaction. People loved having new content and new DLC.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:51 am

I'm just curious about what they're adding.

If they add a new class it's going to be a mandatory purchase to keep playing, same with spells or feats.

Door's wide open.
\

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:56 am

I mean, SoU and HotU were "mandatory purchases" too, you're painting a very purposefully negative picture here.

No one's arguing that portrait DLC isn't stupid, but going on about a HotU sized package of content being for sale as a "mandatory purchase" with negative connotations is just being disingenuous.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 am

Yes but with SoU and HotU you got new modules new spells any more. They where all packaged and there was actualy work put in to it. Well worth the money you spend on it.

DLC content on the other hand is just money grabbing, all those small little updates you need for PW servers in the end will set you back more then a full blown expantion like HotU would.

I am 100% behind the EE, but if they are going the route of DLC then I'll follow people like CJ and leave as well.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 am

"DLC" is just the business term for "content" these days. The Witcher 3's Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine are "DLC" but are bigger than many full games, on their own. Likewise, the AoE2HD DLCs are full new content packs in the vein of AoK: TC, with new civs, maps, voice acted singleplayer campaigns, new techs, and more. There's D3: Reaper of Souls, Grim Dawn's Ashes of Malmouth, Titan Quest's Ragnarok, Victor Vran's Motormouth DLC, and that's all just off the top of my head. These are not portrait packs or horse armor, these are full blown expansions. Skyrim's Dragonborn and Dawnguard are "DLCs" as well - would you say those were "all packaged" and "actually work put into it"? Or were they just "small little updates" instead of "Full blown expansions"?

IN 2017, SoU and HotU would just be called "DLC", which has become a catchall term for any "Down-Loadable Content" after the release of a game, rather than "Expansion Pack" given digital distribution is sort of The Thing now.

Again, no one is saying 10 portraits for $$$ is good. But (for example), an "Unapproachable East" pack that included the Favored Soul base class, Red Wizard, Aglarondan Griffonrider, Rashemi Warchanter PrCs, Aasimar and Tiefling as built in races, a single player module the length of SoU (including 3 new tilesets and 10 new monster skins), and 25 new feats - in today's world, this is DLC too. It's just an expansion pack by a different name, and I hope we'd all udnerstand that were this 2002, 2012, or 2018, we'd all be paying money for the 3rd expansion pack to NWN. It just happened to come out much, much later in the game's lifetime. Just like Titan Quest: Ragnarok came out 11 years after the release of the original game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/47515 ... y_Edition/ Seems to be pretty well received.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 am

If they make dlcs like that where actual effort and work has gone in to it lokebthe expension packs of old then yes i agree they are worth it. But you are only calling out the better game devs.

The dlc we see now a portait pack seema already a step in the wrong direction. And there have been many game devs who use dlc as a money cow with little bits here and there that you need to buy but are not a full expantion on there own.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:09 am

Honestly, cosmetics DLC's are the second best form of DLC's after outright "Expansions-in-another-name" DLC's. Nothings forcing anyone to get the cosmetics, it doesn't affect gameplay in the slightest, doesn't give anyone any advantage and gives devs some revenue from people who want some extra fashion.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:23 am

As long as these DLCs are purely cosmetic (Like Portraits or GUI changes I dunno) then I am all fine with this. And also as long as they are seen by players who do not own said DLC this is perfectly fine and a behaviour to be expected.

If you pay for a Portrait DLC and no one else can see it except other DLC owners (Or Deluxe) then this feels kind of redundant. I am not sure how they would solve this in NWN considering how the engine works with current portraits. What is to stop someone from extracting these DLC portrait and just upload them somewhere for other people to grab? They either have to make a seperate behaviour for these sort of things that is different from how portrait currently work but I dunno, we'll see how it turns out.

If we see other DLCs such as playable races and classes I dunno really if that would change much for Arelith. If we decide to go in that direction, meaning you need X, Y and Z DLC to play here I would be strongly against that idea if players have to pay for this content other than the standard EE itself.

As we are already in talks of moving to HAK based content in the future we can already solve our Paths to be proper classes instead, same for custom races, without having players to pay for such DLCs so any such content would not really benefit the community. It would seem like a very odd direction for Beamdog to take as stuff like this already exist for NWN.

They should focus on DLC cosmetic entirely. New Music packs, sure. New portrait, fine, New GUI changes, neat. Voicesets? Sure. Tilesets... err, that would be nice but if it was behind a paywall and a player must pay for it to be able to play on a server then I would hope Arelith does not go down that route.

Improv

Post by Improv » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:36 am

Well I am specifically looking at the Baldurs Gate EE series on the iOS app store from Beamdog that offers new classes like Wild Mage and Blackguard and accompanying characters and side quests for $3 a pop. I'd much rather see an expansion pack every year or two than a growing list of tidbits to pick and choose from, so hopefully that's not a sign of their plans with NWN. It's not even about the money really as much as the amount of advertising that kind of thing foists of you and keeping track of what you've bought and what you haven't and the messiness that will bring to the PW community than anything for me.