Is there a point to corpse bashing?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

QuestionGuy

Post by QuestionGuy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Hi everybody! Yes, I'm still around. A new question sent to me:

It doesn't seem to serve any worthwhile purpose, other than penalizing the other player with a long respawn and stat penalties, and to send an OOC message of "lol ur not worth my time to RP with get owned scrub." If you don't want the person you killed to be raised/if you don't want to continue RP with that person you could just hold on to the corpse and try to get a ransom for it or leave it where it is.
PM me the questions you don't want to ask out loud. No Judgements made, completely anonymous.

BegoneThoth

Re: Is there a point to corpse bashing?

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:25 pm

You get their skull and can put it on your mantle, or show other people as proof for death. You can put it in your bio as hanging from your belt, and the offer it in barter for inspection if people want to see who you killed.

Lots of good RP there.
\

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:33 pm

Players can refuse a raise after a confrontation so the onus isn't solely on the victor to continue rp. Generally, if no ransom rp can happen, and the character doesn't want someone else to raise their opponent (that has refused a raise from them), they bash the corpse for security.

If its a truly hated enemy then the skull is taken for rp. I've seen characters make helmets or armor decorations using their fallen enemies.

-S

Played; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi, H'larr Twins, and others.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:00 pm

It still depends on the way it happend.

Above all i truely hate corpse bashing. I would rather givr a raise even a ooc one the end rp and everythibg witha corpse bash. I have been on the recieving end of one and truely it ruins the day for a player.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:10 pm

Bashing is fine.

Getting skulls from it is awknard. Especially when good-aligned characters are hoarding skulls of foes.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:32 pm

Sorry but no... Bashing corpses is not fine. Especialy when done without consent of the player who is getting bashed. It can ruin there day. And end conflict rp right there.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:37 pm

There are worse things than Bashing. I dislike it immencly when corpses are put in trash barrrels, or just hidden in general, leaving the player to wait ages in the fugue for a raise that may never come.

At least with a 'Bash' you know that there's no point hanging around hoping/wanting a respawn.

If someone hides/trashes your corpse, of if you just happen to die in a very remote place, you're still going to have to respawn. Better to know than not.

Either way, bashing is perfectly legitimate.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:Sorry but no... Bashing corpses is not fine. Especialy when done without consent of the player who is getting bashed. It can ruin there day. And end conflict rp right there.
Just to clarify, consent isn't needed for bashing, but it is for raising.

Pretty much on Grumpy's lines, it's sometimes better to be bashed rather than waiting forever for a raise.
Please don't feed my sister.

flower

Post by flower » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:43 pm

Ozzy.nl wrote:Sorry but no... Bashing corpses is not fine. Especialy when done without consent of the player who is getting bashed. It can ruin there day. And end conflict rp right there.

All is supposed to end one day. Even conflict rp.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:44 pm

A great mindset is to assume that if you enter PvP, assume to be bashed.

Then it's a pleasant surprise when something else comes out of it.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 pm

Let's not forget that in large-scale PvP there may be a need to bash, otherwise people start whipping out resurrection scrolls and spells to restore fallen combatants to full potency, the only counter to which is to nuke the fallen corpses.

MurderedOutWindows

Post by MurderedOutWindows » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:30 pm

Some wisdom in this old thread viewtopic.php?t=2684

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:42 pm

I don't think bashed corpses should be indestructible, though, or that they should expire.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

Beneidalus

Post by Beneidalus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:44 am

If anything, pvp death still doesn't hold quite enough sting as it ought to. The collecting skull bit is a little funky, but as someone pointed out, can still lend itself to RP and trophies. OOC raising at the end is just a poor play. This is a persistent world. Everything is meant to be as immersive and IC as possible. Consequences are good.

Improv

Post by Improv » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 am

The best consequences are from RP though. PVP means the most when there is heavy build-- the more build up, the better-- and the consequences are clear before the first blow lands.

I don't care that much about bashing either way. I think death mechanics in general are an arbitrary decision that has to be made but no one will ever be happy with the solution. But I do think you can't look to them as a way to enforce behavior. In general, if you want a death to be taken seriously that is something that has to be earned.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 am

Okay, just gonna throw in my two cents on this.

PvP death SHOULD have meaning, but that depends too on how much meaning your giving the rp. In reality some people just seem stuck on the Hur Dur, yuz offended me, now I killz yu!....Sorry but being killed this way,unless you can make a really good story twist from it, honestly feels cheap. Now you come up with a strong RP, give me a real reason that you want my head, perhaps for some great offense I have caused you and your family or something....that is a GREAT angle, im gonna remember that ICly with the OMG this person hated me enough to hunt me down and kill me, better avoid that person....or.....hey they went out of their way to arrange my murder, those bastards, I will have my revenge!! See the real difference here?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 am

Nitro wrote:Let's not forget that in large-scale PvP there may be a need to bash, otherwise people start whipping out resurrection scrolls and spells to restore fallen combatants to full potency, the only counter to which is to nuke the fallen corpses.
Remember that the rule reads:
If your character is killed by another (or vice versa), you must wait 24 real time hours before interacting again
It's been stated on these forums by devs and DMs that this means once killed in PvP, someone cannot rejoin that PvP, or any other PvP involving the same people, until 24 hours have passed. Don't worry yourself with bashing during PvP, but report it if someone does that.

If you are raised during PvP, you can only flee, within the rules.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:53 am

"It's been stated on these forums by devs and DMs that this means once killed in PvP, someone cannot rejoin that PvP, or any other PvP involving the same people, until 24 hours have passed. Don't worry yourself with bashing during PvP, but report it if someone does that.

If you are raised during PvP, you can only flee, within the rules."

Except where the 24 hr rule has been waived by both parties...make sure to screenshot this.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:55 am

Good luck getting consent from people during an ongoing PvP. I suppose you could all agree beforehand that it would be okay, but that means corpse bashing during the battle will be a thing.

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:59 am

Oh I totally agree, I just wanted to clarify on the 24 hr rule.

Red Sunset

Post by Red Sunset » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:01 am

Wait what? I didn't get this memo then. I thought we determined resurrection during a fight was fine some time ago. At least now it costs so much its not likely to happen much.

And my character "Bashed" someone once. Everyone said this person was unkillable, but she died; so, my character wanted her head to terrorize the matron mothers with. Sorta a shame something that should have been a mark of pride ends up as an annoyance due to arelith cultural view on the act plus the loss of experience.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:10 am

The weird part for me is just that it further cheapens death when someone is walking around with someone else's head after the person has respawned.

Improv

Post by Improv » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:18 am

Red Sunset wrote:Wait what? I didn't get this memo then. I thought we determined resurrection during a fight was fine some time ago. At least now it costs so much its not likely to happen much.
I would have thought the same. Why else would you be brought back at full health if not to re-join the present battle? Especially with the new piety cost rules it's not something that can be done over and over.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 am

I could see times when bashing is needed, but for the most part I avoid it unless there is a situation that calls for it. Also don't forget if your body is laying there during a fight and certain spells are being tossed about your corpse may go poof and it might not of been an intentional bashing. Just bad luck.

Not sure on the offical server policy on dying during a pvp fight and getting a raise during the fight. For me I try to go off to the side since I always felt death should be a bit traumatic so immedietly running back into the fight always seemed a bit odd.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:36 am

You can't combat rez? What?
\