Retro Gaming

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

gilescorey

Re: Retro Gaming

Post by gilescorey » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:22 pm

Does MLG even exist anymore? I can't remember the last time I heard about it outside of an ironic sense.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:30 pm

Had to google that. They do seem to still be around, still tweeting regularly.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Bran Bree

Post by Bran Bree » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:28 am

Bashagain wrote:Mega Man 2, Dr. Wiley Stage 1 music has got to be the king of retro 8 bit game theme music!
This person might agree.
These people would definitely agree.
:D

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:59 am

Road Rash 1-3. Those games. Holy crap. Riding a motorcycle at break-neck speeds, whipping a chain around and knocking off other bikers and getting into intense battles as your rivals do the same. Not to mention a bad@#$ soundtrack that still gets me pumped and the funny cutscenes. And stealing the police officers club and knocking his butt off his bike was always so satisfying. I would always crash into a sign at the very end of the race so i'd finish it while flying through the air.

Oh the year was 1778...

woodbreeze
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by woodbreeze » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:45 pm

Never has a thread ever made me feel so young. I can probably count on my hands (maybe even one?) how many of these games I've heard before. @@

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:06 pm

There's no time like the present. They're remembered for a reason.

Seyormi

Post by Seyormi » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:32 pm

didn't read ANY of the thread yet, but my twin loves were bionic commando and strider.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:32 pm

A good childhood memory special to us because it is our memory in question. I'm sure woodbreeze has had her own unique experiences which we're all missing out on as callous older people who think that only our childhoods were whole! I can still listen to FF7 opening track mesmerised for seven times in a row and weep a bit for how beautiful the world is, but I can totally see how people who don't share my nostalgia must think I'm such a dork. That's how lame fathers come into this world.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 pm

I mean, I still play Baldur's Gate not because I played it as a kid but because it's a good game. I recently played through VTM:B for the first time (it's 12 or 13 years old) and I liked it.

The convenience at which you can access these "childhood memories" has never been to the level it is now.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Some games held up better over time. FFVII is a lot clunkier then the one before it. Additionally I'd never recommend anyone play Realmz (the game I posted about) today.

Some things do still shine despite their age, however. CT on SNES plays great. Mario 1, 2, and 3 are all stellar, so are the older Kirby games. Sonic 2 and 3&K are also a blast. Streets of Rage 2 is about as good as that genre gets, and Fallout 1&2, with the patches, are also great experiences.

Sure, you'll never be able to appreciate true gaming connoisseur discussions like Skitchen' vs Road Rash, Sega vs Nintendo, or Monty on the Run vs Mario, but you can still pick great stuff out of older eras.

But let's not kid ourselves some games we liked back then actually sucked.
\

woodbreeze
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by woodbreeze » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:28 pm

To be fair, the rock over my head is pretty big. But I don't mind chipping away at said rock. So I'll make sure to check some of these things out. I'm sure they really are all great in their own unique ways.

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:23 am

Thing about retro games to remeber, however, is that they are well retro. You don't play them because they have great graphics wonderful sound or have an easy UI in some case (just try to play something like Might and magic 1 without having had to to use that kind of UI the first time and you'll see what I mean :).) There are lots of classic or legendary games that I can't play anymore because I can't deal with the gameplay of a bygone area anymore.

Also you'll never quite achieve the kind of experience with a retro game as you did when you played them when ythey first came out. At least this is my experience. The fun is there of course but a lot of the shine and what made them special is long gone. So be prepared.

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:34 pm

Been playing Neverwinter Nights for the last few weeks. It's a cool old game, I think you all should try it out.

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:09 pm

Dragonovith wrote:Been playing Neverwinter Nights for the last few weeks. It's a cool old game, I think you all should try it out.
never heard of it......... sounds bad

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:36 pm

gilescorey wrote:I mean, I still play Baldur's Gate not because I played it as a kid but because it's a good game. I recently played through VTM:B for the first time (it's 12 or 13 years old) and I liked it.

The convenience at which you can access these "childhood memories" has never been to the level it is now.
Yeah, totally! Sorry, I think I read into your comment a bit too much. I tend to get triggered by stuff I can misunderstand as "the youth is ruined" type of talk. And Woodbreeze, you should definitely play them. And woodbreeze, sorry for personalizing you when I meant to refer to younger gamers in general.

I played the Deus Ex published in 2000 and it was very eye-opening to compare it to the scifi corporate-dystopian games of today. Also, the idea to place texts about the game world within the game itself (called 'exposition') I think partly originates from it. It wasn't a bad game either.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:41 pm

gilescorey wrote:I mean, I still play Baldur's Gate
Avariel sexy elven fun times, huh? :lol:

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:51 pm

Actually, I prefer Viconia.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:51 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Viconia or gtfo

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:17 am

JediMindTrix wrote:
-XXX- wrote:
Viconia or gtfo

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:41 pm

Pfahahah, don't you masochists get dumped by women often enough IRL?! :mrgreen:

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:03 pm

Can't get dumped if you never ask someone out

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Bashagain » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:00 pm

-XXX- wrote:Pfahahah, don't you masochists get dumped by women often enough IRL?! :mrgreen:
Arelith playas do the dumping. We don’t GET dumped. ‘Cause we be “playas.” Knowest thou what I’m sayin?

And for the record, in Baldur’s Gate, it’s Jahira for the win. Only in a fantasy game would a man get his pantaloons pressed by his wife. :D
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:55 pm

-XXX- wrote:Pfahahah, don't you masochists get dumped by women often enough IRL?! :mrgreen:
not really, no