Do you want to see more:

Polls can be created by Patrons only (try-out for now)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Do you want to see more:

Role Play Options (Setting the mood of an area, declaring current position, placeable animations, etc.)
48%
Mechanical Options (Class additions, area balance, easier levelling, etc.)
52%

Total votes: 109

Poller
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Do you want to see more:

Post by Poller » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:21 am

People appeared to really like polls, so here's one for you!

EDIT: Including a post I made further down, for clarification:

Poller wrote:
Aodh Lazuli wrote:There's a difference? All the mechanical options (bar increased or decreased XP gain, I guess), are roleplay options.
Mechanical options would be more about making sure your character can perform in combat, or help others do so. This is what NWN itself was originally about, combat that happened to have a story.

Roleplay options were added on by people going beyond that limited goal. Things like clothing changes, message board systems, settlement mechanics. I would personally put crafting between the two, because it does focus on increasing gold, making for a stronger character, but it can also be made to tell the story or enable access to other places that can tell a story.

The discussions that inspired this poll expressed that there were few things that affected the environment, and that the primary changes from vanilla NWN were instead based around improving the game mechanically, instead of focusing on telling character stories. Combat improvements versus what can make a story that much more engaging.
Another quote:

"A Clarification: Systems like the bartending XP reward are a great example of RP tools as well. You get rewarded for roleplaying, and relatively substantially as well."
Last edited by Poller on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Peppermint

Re: Do you want to see more:

Post by Peppermint » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:24 am

Yes.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:35 am

Maybe an option for both?
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

BrilliantInsanity

Post by BrilliantInsanity » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:12 am

Peppermint wrote:Yes.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:55 pm

There's a difference? All the mechanical options (bar increased or decreased XP gain, I guess), are roleplay options.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Deathdealer2.0

Post by Deathdealer2.0 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:28 pm

I'm all for additional RP capabilities, but the examples given in the vote confuse me a bit. Is anyone who understands better than myself able to clarify what they mean by things like placeable animations and declaring current position?

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Placable animated fixtures, like you see with the old beacon fixtures that have a kind of pulsing shield effect. Or maybe being able to place a glowing circle like you'd see a dm be able to do.

Declaring current position is something I've seen in forums before, as a substitute for how people would have "sleeping mage" in their disguise.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:13 am

Some simple aesthetic changes would be neat.
A fire vfx that can be toggled on or off inside of forges. Anvils being made fire and blunt immune so you can bang on them without detonating them.

The ability to toggle braziers and torches to a purple or blue light and flame, to simulate Faerie fire(great for elves and drow).

The ability to have a continual bard song music notes vfx you can toggle, for people doing long performances.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:25 am

Not that the poll results will change anything at the end of the day, but different people work on different things, usually it's two groups of different people working on world building and another mechanics.
:)

Poller
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Poller » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:13 pm

Aodh Lazuli wrote:There's a difference? All the mechanical options (bar increased or decreased XP gain, I guess), are roleplay options.
Mechanical options would be more about making sure your character can perform in combat, or help others do so. This is what NWN itself was originally about, combat that happened to have a story.

Roleplay options were added on by people going beyond that limited goal. Things like clothing changes, message board systems, settlement mechanics. I would personally put crafting between the two, because it does focus on increasing gold, making for a stronger character, but it can also be made to tell the story or enable access to other places that can tell a story.

The discussions that inspired this poll expressed that there were few things that affected the environment, and that the primary changes from vanilla NWN were instead based around improving the game mechanically, instead of focusing on telling character stories. Combat improvements versus what can make a story that much more engaging.

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:54 am

I am frankly a proponent of continuing the project of balancing the various build archetypes. Contrary to what one might expect, my reasons for this are because it would enhance the breadth and diversity of roleplay on the server by encouraging more character archetypes. Thus, my answer is yes to both.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

JediZero

Post by JediZero » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:53 pm

High Primate wrote:I am frankly a proponent of continuing the project of balancing the various build archetypes. Contrary to what one might expect, my reasons for this are because it would enhance the breadth and diversity of roleplay on the server by encouraging more character archetypes. Thus, my answer is yes to both.
The only way to balance the builds is by making it so that just about any build, RP, or mechanicswise, can explore and experience Arelith.

If we want to balance it, in the long run it's going to mean making it so that monsters and NPCs are challenging, but aren't going to just immediately curbstomp people who don't know/want to build min/max.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:12 am

Peppermint wrote:Yes.
same tbh

Wytchee
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Wytchee » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:41 am

Shame on you all.
Current character: Abigail Duskwood

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:18 am

Color me unsurprised at the results so far.

Arelith has a lot of great roleplay options, but has a long way to go insofar as being a solid game.

susitsu

Post by susitsu » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:35 am

Roleplay is something we provide each other actively. I am with Pep, I want funner gameplay, more interesting paths/"classes" to try, and new areas over "roleplay options." Exploring new, or even redone areas is always really nice because it puts a bit of spice back into things ten epic level characters later.

Hell, areas with new mobs slapped on are an incredible breath of fresh air. Those orogs before the duergar now? Nothing changed about the area otherwise, I haven't even figured out why they're there, but I like it. I like it a lot. It gives people something to talk about. It's very out of place when the same old same old is suddenly something new. It gives reason to investigate it of our own accord and question it even if there are no answers, but the fact is, that made roleplay.

And lets be real, we were all just really happy to not be dealing with the para-elementals.

Especially class/path stuff because it GIVES us so much more to do with the roleplay and I love conceptualizing new characters for classes, paths, and races I haven't played yet.

Describing what you're doing with an emote is really enough.

There's been plenty of DM story driven servers in the past, but Arelith just isn't one of them. It's a fairly populated and dense enough with players that they are the story of Arelith in its entirety. Events are still pretty damn cool, though.

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:00 am

JediZero wrote:
High Primate wrote:I am frankly a proponent of continuing the project of balancing the various build archetypes. Contrary to what one might expect, my reasons for this are because it would enhance the breadth and diversity of roleplay on the server by encouraging more character archetypes. Thus, my answer is yes to both.
The only way to balance the builds is by making it so that just about any build, RP, or mechanicswise, can explore and experience Arelith.

If we want to balance it, in the long run it's going to mean making it so that monsters and NPCs are challenging, but aren't going to just immediately curbstomp people who don't know/want to build min/max.
I'm mainly concerned with seeing rather glaring imbalances being rectified, the ones that remove incentives to play certain builds.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:35 am

I have a lot of fun roleplaying. I don't think any "roleplaying" update beyond maybe some flavour stuff (more languages, splitting animal into druidic/gnollish/sylvan, etc.) is really going to have a significant mark on that.

By contrast, mechanical updates that make that side of the game more fun, less tedious, etc. are great! I love those. I don't love mechanical updates that make that side of the game less fun, more tedious, or what have you, though.

So maybe I'd like well-screened mechanical updates. Well-tested, especially. Bugs are lame, shortsighted implementation is lame, "bandaid" reactionary patches to problems that arise as a result of shortsighted implementation is Really lame.

That's just me, though.

Poller
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Poller » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:11 pm

A Clarification: Systems like the bartending XP reward are a great example of RP tools. You get rewarded for roleplaying, and relatively substantially as well.