Druid Summoner / Caster Build

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Meliboeus
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Druid Summoner / Caster Build

Post by Meliboeus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:50 am

So I have been asked to come up with a Druid Summoner / Caster build for a friend. I've never played a Druid but on paper it would seem that 24 druid / 6 monk would be optimal with Dragonshape at 30.

Does anybody whose ever played one have any tips or advice? The recent updates seem to make caster druids much more viable.

Lorkas

Re: Druid Summoner / Caster Build

Post by Lorkas » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:07 am

As long as you're willing to start with 18 WIS, spend a gift on +2 WIS or play a race with +2 WIS, spend all of your level-up ability points on WIS, and use 3 of your 4 general epic feats on WIS, you can get Dragon Shape at level 30 with that build.

It will be super tanky while in dragon shape and also quite tanky in golem, elemental, or totem form.

Meliboeus

Post by Meliboeus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:14 am

That was the plan with the 4th being Epic Conjuration Focus.

My primary concern was to make her survivable and able to go anywhere. I don't think she'd do anything other than run away in PVP situations.

kittenblackfriends

Post by kittenblackfriends » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:42 am

If they want to be a summoner/caster, isn't using dragonshape against that, since people can't cast while polymorphed?

(With the exception of NPCs. NPCs can cast while polymorphed.)
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Wisdom based druid with conj focus is a good summoner, avoid totem. Optimize via minor dip into other classes.

That is to say if your friend wants playable and not optimal.

Meliboeus

Post by Meliboeus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:49 pm

kittenblackfriends wrote:If they want to be a summoner/caster, isn't using dragonshape against that, since people can't cast while polymorphed?

(With the exception of NPCs. NPCs can cast while polymorphed.)
Well I thought if you're going to be a Wisdom based caster Druid you might as well add Monk and Dragonshape. It's not the point of the build but it doesn't really detract from the caster-ness. I'm undecided about how much Monk and when.

But I'm open to suggestions. And I might think about a SF based build instead.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Yus, they fit like Cindarella and a glass shoe. You can always build up that Druid CL by going Druid27/Monk3 instead (not sure how CL works here for dispelling, Mordying and penetrating SR). I cannot think of a single reason not to take Dragon Shape as Caster Druid except integrity and innocence.

If 27/3, go Druid20 pre-epic, thence straight Druid24, whence Monk3 and Tumble and Disc dump at level 27, and finalize with Druid and a burly dragonshape.

if 24/6, save Monk for level 30 dumpage, given you don't want to set fire to the forests with Hellball, for which a whopping 32 ranks in Spellcraft is required, meaning you need to take it on your last level and also save the Dragonshape until that point.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

If Valor Were Inches

Post by If Valor Were Inches » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:59 pm

If you're focusing on spells and summons, I recommend forgoing monk entirely. This concept sounds like it would be better spending time in non-animal forms, not going a totem route either.

Consider pure Druid, or for uniqueness, 25 Druid/5 Harper. With certain Harper Picks your spell caster level is retained, allowing a bit of flexibility if it fits the concept.

Druid/Wizard could also be a neat concept, allowing another, if not very good, familiar summon to add to the group. Maybe it stands back and tells the others what to do, considering itself too superior for combat?

kittenblackfriends

Post by kittenblackfriends » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:29 pm

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Druid/Wizard.

You should never mix two full caster classes.

Unless you're me. Because I've played a druid/wizard. From an RP perspective, they're total outcasts. But really, it's not something you should do unless you have a mastery of both classes, therefore not something I'd recommend to a newbie ^^
Gandalf wrote:Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.

HinAttack

Post by HinAttack » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:31 pm

Well I have been playing a Bear Totem Druid and I can tell you its a lot of fun. I took 4 levels of Barbarian for a disc dump and it just fits my play concept more so than monk. Monk is a better choice, mechanics-wise. I can tell you that totem druid can be a successful caster druid, but it excels at being a melee type PC. I think I have only died twice with this PC and one was to five of those scared little girls or vampire thralls or whatever they are called.

I can tell you it has been an enjoyable ride to 30 with this guy. If you want the specifics of the build, just PM me, I will be happy to chat with you about it.

One Two Three Five

Post by One Two Three Five » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:45 pm

I've always wanted a druid/barb! How's the biteback treat you?
The devil does not need any more advocates
Clerics are just socially acceptable warlocks.

HinAttack

Post by HinAttack » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:24 pm

One Two Three Five wrote:I've always wanted a druid/barb! How's the biteback treat you?
tbh, I took it for the Will Save and the 50% increase in movement. The biteback is nice, but I hardly notice it since I am surrounded by 5+ bears. For me, it is about 15-16 damage to everyone that hits me. The damage bonus doesn't affect me since I fight with my claws. I get about 60 or so hitpoints when I rage, which is pretty insignificant at my level.

but I took it cuz I thought as a bear, I would be more inclined to just get all 'angry' and charge forward. The increased movement helps running down enemies and the Will save is in the 50's or 60's (I think). So, pretty much I am just a freight train barreling down on folks. I don't do a lot of damage, but I can pretty much keep things at bay as my party does what they have to do.

Like I said, Lotza fun.

Meliboeus

Post by Meliboeus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 am

Thanks all!

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:34 pm

HinAttack wrote:Well I have been playing a Bear Totem Druid and I can tell you its a lot of fun. I took 4 levels of Barbarian for a disc dump and it just fits my play concept more so than monk. Monk is a better choice, mechanics-wise.[...]
Have you played Witcher 3? They stole your idea for Skellige's Berserkers!
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Phoxly

Post by Phoxly » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:55 am

I'm surprised at how casually Druid + Monk is thrown around here, considering it used to be considered heavily power gaming and inconsiderate of the RP of being a monk vs being a druid.
Lorkas wrote:As long as you're willing to start with 18 WIS, spend a gift on +2 WIS or play a race with +2 WIS, spend all of your level-up ability points on WIS, and use 3 of your 4 general epic feats on WIS, you can get Dragon Shape at level 30 with that build.
Lvl 30 is a long way to go before getting any kind of return on investment, but if you go the Druid Monk path, you will need to be Neutral for your Druid levels, and then either change your alignment to something Lawful to meet Monk reqs, or go Lawful Neutral from the start (which has it's own RP requirements).

With that said, I personally like Bard/Feylock/Warlock over Monk for 3 levels around lvl 27. It will get you access to Tumble, Discipline (Epic Skill Focus Discipline more importantly), and UMD (which Monk does not have).

Feats - Druids get the short end of the feat stick, with zero bonus feats until lvl 24.
1: Conjuration Spell Foci
3: Conjuration Spell Foci
6: Transmutation or Evocation Spell Foci
9: Transmutation or Evocation Spell Foci
12: Extend Spell
15: Empower Spell
18: Maximize Spell
21: Epic Spell Focus Conjuration
Druid Bonus 24: Epic Spell Focus Transmutation or Evocation
24, 27, 30: Up to you, you should try to get Epic Skill Focus Discipline for sure, maybe EDK, Hellball, or Greater Ruin if you went with Evocation.

I personally really enjoy the Transmutation Spell Foci with the new changes they did to druid recently. Maximized Inferno's, Nature's Balance for Breaching Thicc Mages, and Aura of Vitality are all pretty solid from Transmutation.
Druid Spell Changes:
- Inferno now deals 1d6/4 Caster Levels with Greater Transmutation Focus
- Sunbeam capped to 10d6 Divine Damage (Was 20d6) but instead adds the Inferno Spell on failed Reflex Save which works as the new Inferno above (Druid only).
- Nature's Balance now scales with Greater & Epic Transmutation Focus giving a bigger AoE and slightly increases the breach strength for each focus, The Breach is now also Saveless.
- Aura of Vitality lasts 3 Rounds Per Level with Greater Transmutation Focus and Turns Per Level with Epic Transmutation Focus.
- Spike Growth damage increased to 1d4/3 Caster Levels to a maximum of 40 Damage at Level 30
- Drown now also deals a 2d10+5 Damage, even if the target makes the save.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:36 am

I spy irony

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:24 am

If Valor Were Inches wrote: Consider pure Druid, or for uniqueness, 25 Druid/5 Harper. With certain Harper Picks your spell caster level is retained, allowing a bit of flexibility if it fits the concept.
I like this route. It's definitely not a powerbuild, but with harper priest... it might just rock the house: You can get nice AC with Divine Shield, while Divine Might gives you an extra edge in terms of damage. You can still go for dragonshape, I guess (Harper also gives bonus feats!). I will have to run a few tests but I could see such a build with parrot totem working nicely.

EDIT: Also, you will never have to worry about piety. Ever.

EDIT: Did some testing: works nicely to get dragonshape on level 30. base wis on level 30 is 30, base charisma is 20. Unfortunately, you will always have to time divine might/shield right before shaping. So it really drifts away from the caster aspects and needs a moderate degree of mechanical skill. So... not exactly newbie-friendly. Seems like a fun concept nontheless!