Fishing and Panning

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

The_Queen~s_Rebuke

Fishing and Panning

Post by The_Queen~s_Rebuke » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:04 pm

When fishing was introduced with the backgrounds, it was very exciting! But it's since faded, and with little to get out of it when you could be doing almost anything else - and it's a relic that isn't terribly rewarding.

So, a few tweaks to the current fishing system:
  • Please get rid of whatever makes the camera spin.
  • Add more things to fish up! Forgotten Realms has Ascallions as predators that could provide crafting materials and riches from its stomach contents, or Bichir fish that could come from the water and attack fisherfolk on a random chance (and maybe provide materials for spell resistance), Mud Crabs coming up from the ocean to try and eat your bait, Pufferfish for a high DC poison for food?
  • Please make it so whatever fish we fish up are identified! If we know something is a Lunker when fishing it up out of a river, we should know in our inventory. Related, please please PLEASE make Lunkers count as more food units than a Scarfinned Flatfish - if it's that much bigger, and much less likely to fish up, it should be worth more.
Secondly, another thing that could happen at fishing spots - Panning!
Make a pan that can be made with Forging/Metalwork, and a medium-ish DC. 30, maybe? Allow these pans to be used at Fishing Spots for a random chance of raw gems and ores - but also useless rocks, salt, sand, and other minerals that would be more common. Implement Gold Rushes (or other various rushes) for random events at fishing spots, with some sort of VFX on the placeable to alert that it's a sweet spot for uncommon ores and gems. However! These pans should be fragile, with a higher possibility of breaking than fishing rods, and also take some time to craft, to offset its use as well as its relatively common materials.

Disclaimer: I love fishing in World of Warcraft and fishing and panning in Stardew Valley.
hållö hållö wəlcöme to mý cæv

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Fishing and Panning

Post by Irongron » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:09 pm

Fishing really does need something more, but I'm always torn with it as I feel that it should remain an entirely mundane pursuit (rather than turning up lot of 'magic' fish)

The panning idea is very good though, and I may follow that one up.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:34 pm

Please get rid of whatever makes the camera spin.
This is a setting you can change yourself. Go to nwnplayer.ini and find the line

Code: Select all

EnableDialogZoom=1
and change it to

Code: Select all

EnableDialogZoom=0
This stops the same spin appearing when you access crafting stations or other fixtures, as well as when talking to NPCs.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:31 am

Fishing is something I've wanted to update for a while and I might just give it a look at this weekend. I agree its pretty lackluster and could be something much more great.