Vampires are immune to assassinate

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Yvesza

Vampires are immune to assassinate

Post by Yvesza » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:37 pm

Description
Vampires are currently impossible to assassinate, they take bleed damage (Which they're immune to). This still happens even if you apply a bless weapon, they don't take positive damage at all.

Steps to reproduce
Assassinate a vampire, hit them

Expected result
They take positive damage

Actual result
They take bleeding damage (Which they're immune to)

Screenshot(s)

Misc Notes

Which Server(s)?
Tested on the PGCC

Gaming Platform(s)?

Drogo Gyslain

Re: Vampires are immune to assassinate

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:15 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Undead are immune to Sneak attacks and Death Attacks, including Assassination.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:49 am

Drogo Gyslain wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:15 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Undead are immune to Sneak attacks and Death Attacks, including Assassination.

You're wrong.

Arelith Wiki wrote:

The Assassinate ability represents studying a target's weaknesses and will therefore use different damage types based on the chosen target:

• If a target is not crit-immune or has the Deathless Mastery feat, Bleeding Damage will be applied. The damage then bypasses a Pale Master's immunity.
  • If a target is undead, Positive Energy Damage will be applied. Weapons must be warded with Bless Weapon for this damage to trigger against PCs.
  • In all other cases, magic damage will be applied.
what would fred rogers do?

TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:33 am

Thats not how you kill a vampire I dont think.

JustMonika

Post by JustMonika » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:29 pm

Out of curiosity, did you test this against a PC vampire, an NPC, or both?

Temporarily back to Arelith and currently Lilliana Snowfire.

If you have unfinished business with Ultrianan, let me know! Arabella has been rolled.

Yvesza

Post by Yvesza » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:23 pm

I've used it on two seperate vampire PC's, both with and without bless weapon activated before the assassinate was used.

As a note, it's works just fine on random NPC vampires because their base type is Undead wheras player vampires probably just have a template or something ontop of their usual race which is what I guess is breaking it

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:43 am

It works vs NPCs as any other target (damage changes). It only works vs PC vampires if you have Bless Weapon active because ?????????????????????? reasons????????????? it seems really in favour of the 10 or so characters that are vampires with very little reasoning in balance or lore.

It should probably just work vs whatever target and have the damage adjust as needed.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

LurkingShadow

Post by LurkingShadow » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:41 pm

Dreams wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:43 am

It works vs NPCs as any other target (damage changes). It only works vs PC vampires if you have Bless Weapon active because ?????????????????????? reasons????????????? it seems really in favour of the 10 or so characters that are vampires with very little reasoning in balance or lore.

It should probably just work vs whatever target and have the damage adjust as needed.

If you gonna menation lore here, why can vampires be assassinated? Weaknessess is mentioned? But what? Do you coat your sword with garlic and crosses or what? What is the "reason" here?

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:08 pm

Dreams wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:43 am

The thought behind this was as follows: Rather than omnisciently recognising every vampire, assassins need to learn more about their target before they strike. If they default to the same tactics used when murdering a living target, they'd aim for "weak spots" that cause no additional damage against a vampire. The Bless Weapon scroll represents this research, and the resulting change in tactics then enables the expected bonus damage.

The positive damage against PvE undead is more of a QoL feature, the corresponding preparation is implied in this case.