Delivering Goods to Hostile Camps

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

DaTexican

Delivering Goods to Hostile Camps

Post by DaTexican » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:50 pm

So I know the new mechanic of giving resources to encampments has been implemented and from what I understand if you put it in front of a hostile encampment you are sapost to get a bubble saying it succedded. This morning I could not get this mechanic to work. I was in front of the Bloodmoon Orc's encampment and tried this. I was a part of a DM event where Bloodmoon Orcs attacked Merego's Vineyard and myself and another druid defended it and spoke with thier "Warchief" who asked for peace between themselves and the raiders who keep raiding their villages and caves. My character has been trying to fufil our side of the bargain, going to extents such as convincing the IC mayor of Burrowhome to get onboard, putting this up to the IC Cordor council and talking with the IC Thane. Once I saw this mechanic go live I was excited to use it! So I was wondering if I am doing something wrong? I went up to the gate, and placed the goods on the ground and got no bubble. Tried to contact a DM ingame but there were none online or responding (We know you are all busy and can't always be online :)) But I was hoping to hear if I am doing something wrong? I would like to use this mechanic to build up this portion of RP!
Be Prepared

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Delivering Goods to Hostile Camps

Post by Mithreas » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:23 pm

You might be doing it in the wrong area. You might have to go down into a dungeon to find a place where the resources will be accepted.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:29 pm

Oh. Hmmm. So the Bloodmoon Fort next to Merego's Vineyard is not the right area. Hmm. That seems counter productive then I guess. Means I have to kill Blood Moon Orcs to reach their other fort inside just to bring them peace offerings? Guess I'll have to persue this some other way :/
Be Prepared

DM Garynx

Post by DM Garynx » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:28 pm

This would be an excellent opportunity to hire another character who could get there without harming the orcs and deliver the package on your behalf! Alternatively, someone who could get YOU there without harming them.
msterswrdsmn wrote:People play characters, and, well. Some characters will murder you over 50 coins, I guess.

DM_Ironfist

Post by DM_Ironfist » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:02 pm

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that the most straightforward way to make peace with orcs is to bash a sufficently large number of their heads in first in order to get their attention.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:15 pm

It worked in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Murder every flunky in sight and then convince their boss to help you, after a two minute conversation.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:41 pm

I went back and tried it again and its working now so TY to whomever fixed it :)
Be Prepared

MuchachoReno

Post by MuchachoReno » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:26 pm

DM_Ironfist wrote:It seems perfectly reasonable to me that the most straightforward way to make peace with orcs is to bash a sufficently large number of their heads in first in order to get their attention.
haha This is apparently quite true and apparently the way such a truce was offered.

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Would it be outside the scope to make the zone where you should place the resources on the ground to be marked? By say some indicator similar to the transitions?
Be Prepared

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Use a ranger. Anywhere the population says it's out of control is a good place to put stuff.

Of course, if a population is under control everywhere, you won't know exactly where - but that becomes an in game challenge.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Fair enough I suppose. In game I think I have figured out the correct blade of grass to set the supplies on for me to get the "The local populace has received the supplies" message. I just thought it might be a easy to implement, although thinking of it now, probably tedious task.
Be Prepared

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:42 am

So this seems to be inconsistent. I had it working a few days ago, now it wont work again. Im trying to place the supplies outside the Bloodmoon fort in Bloodmoon gorge, next to merogoes vineyard area. I used to get the message that the supplies had been received by the local populous. Now I'm not obviously. Is there some weird, and very specific situation I must use? Does the area HAVE to be out of balance or something? I was under the impression that you could do this to boost a area out of balance or into balance depending which way it is swaying. Is this related to this or is this some other glitch? It works sometimes and not others?
Be Prepared

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Mithreas wrote:Use a ranger. Anywhere the population says it's out of control is a good place to put stuff.
That means that the legal places to put things change with the population.

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Oh. I see. I thought with this mechanic you could bring populations to grow, even beyond their normal allotment, or back up from a lower standing as well, meaning you could place it no matter what the current standing was of the population. Also I was told you could even become "friendly" with a encampment, where mobs that normally attacked you would appear as allies and not attack you any further. Seems I was misinformed. :/ Well at least now I know and I'm not constantly pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the mechanic wasn't working.
Be Prepared

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:08 pm

Ya here's the post that originally confused me. Its on the old forums.

http://arelith.com/node/1120?page=6#comment-188120
Post #65
Without spoiling the mechanics of the system, here is what you need to know:

• There are now 18 different critter "Populations" between the Cordor and Surface servers (UD server to come soon, and there's still plenty of room for more populations on the Surface server, I just wanted to see how it does first)

• These populations will expand into other areas if not kept in check over the course of time. If still not kept in check, they will expand several areas, usually threatening a settlement or key road or something important at their final level of expansion. Yes, this could mean that badguys start spawning INSIDE settlements, killing NPCs, peeing in the fountains, etc. Killing the critters will reduce their population, and force them to shrink back into their original territories.

• (Here's where it gets awesome) Players can actually INCREASE a population's rate of expansion by donating resources. We call this: "Conflict via Proxy" This is done by acquiring Resource Objects from the Trade Clerks in any settlement, and taking those to an area (that has a population associated with it) and dropping them on the ground. You will get a floaty text acknowledgment if this is successful. Always wanted Undead to invade Cordor? That's how you do it Smile Keep in mind, it may take a lot of coin worth of resource to bring an area from "status quo" to "invading the nearest settlement", but that's how it should be. Wanted a gold sink, right?

• Rangers and Harper Scouts can use -track in an area to see if a population is "Out of Control" (expanding fast), "Growing" (expanding normally) or "In balance" (status quo, or the area has no population controls to it).

• Just where are the populations? Just about every dungeon has one associated with it, and they tend to be built on common sense.

• Final note on populations: We were reluctant to even mention that these exist, except that we needed you to know that you can contribute to them getting larger, as well as getting smaller. Details about how it works may not be available to you, to preserve the mystery of the mechanic. We also have additional ideas on this system that will likely be implemented over Time, such as: Treasure chests not spawning in areas that are severely underpopulated (ie: farmed), adjusting of factions so that normally hostile mobs may be neutral/friendly to you if you support them enough, and more! Keep in mind with your suggestions and feedback that we're already considering this approach for the future. Also, you may not see much of a change in creature behavior immediately after this update. It will take some time for the populations to expand. Just forget aaaaaallllll about them...
I thought this meant you could increase a population no matter what it's current status was. Guess I missunderstood :)
Last edited by DaTexican on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be Prepared

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:09 pm

DaTexican wrote:Oh. I see. I thought with this mechanic you could bring populations to grow, even beyond their normal allotment, or back up from a lower standing as well, meaning you could place it no matter what the current standing was of the population.
Think about it from a supply point of view. You want the supplies to go to their stockpiles, where they can be most efficiently distributed.

Also, read this: http://wiki.arelith.com/Balance

It's been trimmed down and sectioned off for readability.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:11 pm

XD ya i suppose that makes sense Midget. I just was confused by the previous post on the old forums i guess. I thought the Dev's had done just that. Allowed you to become friendly with the mobs and grow their population XD.

Like the visual though :)
Be Prepared