Consensus on surface attitude encountering the drow

Polls can be created by Patrons only (try-out for now)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Your character encounters a drow. Do you...

Poll ended at Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:51 pm

RUN!
29%
HIDE!
11%
FIGHT!
37%
Tolerate it with a hope of redeeming/ befriending it.
6%
“Enslave me, please!”
17%

Total votes: 70

Bashagain
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Consensus on surface attitude encountering the drow

Post by Bashagain » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:51 pm

How does your character react to meeting a drow?
"Drider-man, with Great Smite cometh Great Responsibility to SMITE THEE!!!" - Erik Silverarms, in The Underdark. Circa AR 63

Cortex

Re: Consensus on surface attitude encountering the drow

Post by Cortex » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Run or fight, depending on the character.
:)

BlossomSeason

Post by BlossomSeason » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Any of the above answers except "hoping to redeem" it. I prefer playing racist/intolerant/classist/overzealous characters as a general rule, even if (ESPECIALLY IF) they are good-aligned.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 pm

None of the above.

Neutral stoicism until they either leave or give my character a reason to fight.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Emotionaloverload » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:59 pm

Most of the time my characters will run but there are a few characters that have been crazy enough to fight. I've only ever had one character befriend a drow and that was mainly because he didn't know it was a drow for a long while.

Generally, as a personal rule, my characters see Underdarkers (yes, all of them) as monsters.

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:24 pm

None of the above.

Jadoth will go out of his way to be as obnoxiously friendly, cheerful, and adorable as he possibly can towards drow.

He doesn't see any point in going all "grrr kill the drow" because he's under the belief that the weakest drow is more powerful than the strongest surfacer, but he also doesn't see any point in cowering before the drow because they want to be feared and fearing them would be giving them what they want.

So he does neither, and simply acts like an annoying brat (even more so than usual :D) towards them.
Last edited by cptcuddlepants on Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

flower

Post by flower » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:42 pm

A very badly formulated poll.

IT depends on moment. Friends of Brizshala would no doubts fight Drow, but certainly would not fight her/others.

And so on :lol:

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:02 pm

PK killbash with minimal RP OFC :3

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:05 am

Run/Fight Bargain/Threaten.

Some circumstantial selection of one/all of these. Somewhere in between all of that, there is a very, VERY small window to convince some of my characters that an individual might be an exception to the evil stabby monster mothers tell their children about.

And a much larger window to convince them it was all a ploy to get them to drop their guard.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Pavor Nocturnus

Post by Pavor Nocturnus » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:45 am

Run or fight. Yes. It's drow. A monster. A danger to the surface. Not a nice, sweet, cute exception. If they're telling you they serve Eilistraee, they're very likely to be lying. Kill it.

This question shouldn't have to be asked, really.

I would even go so far as to say anyone assisting drow, giving them the benefit of the doubt or even so much as tolerating them, should be considered dangerous; a possible threat as well.
here
here
up here kane
Kane
up here
Kane morris

MoreThanThree

Post by MoreThanThree » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:54 am

39% of you need TS scrolls.
20 RPR GANG

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:08 pm

That goes the other way too. A drow meeting a group of surfaces has better hide or run.
It all depends on the situation and the characters.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

Cybernet21

Post by Cybernet21 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:01 pm

I would say Fight but honestly,none of them because all the times my character found drow they were pretty well hiding their identity (with helmet on,hood,and maybe even barskin) so my character goes friendly with them thinking they are an elf,after a while if he discovers my character confronts the drow...(OOC'ly giving a chance to run) and if they decide to fight,i fight
My family were all knights,but none protected those who cannot fight for themselves.They all cared about their noble status more than anything else.I would be a true knight,i would train on the ways of the paladin -Arcavius Ryde

Aero Silver

Post by Aero Silver » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Cybernet21 wrote:I would say Fight but honestly,none of them because all the times my character found drow they were pretty well hiding their identity (with helmet on,hood,and maybe even barskin) so my character goes friendly with them thinking they are an elf,after a while if he discovers my character confronts the drow...(OOC'ly giving a chance to run) and if they decide to fight,i fight
I had the impression that they must use -disguise and not just rely on helmets and hoods and bark skin.
All articles that coruscate with resplendence are not truly auriferous. Meaning: all that glitters ain't gold.

flower

Post by flower » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Aero Silver wrote:
Cybernet21 wrote:I would say Fight but honestly,none of them because all the times my character found drow they were pretty well hiding their identity (with helmet on,hood,and maybe even barskin) so my character goes friendly with them thinking they are an elf,after a while if he discovers my character confronts the drow...(OOC'ly giving a chance to run) and if they decide to fight,i fight
I had the impression that they must use -disguise and not just rely on helmets and hoods and bark skin.

When covered you cannot tell Elf from Drow. Using name as indicator is not proper IMHO.

BrilliantInsanity

Post by BrilliantInsanity » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:48 pm

flower wrote:
Aero Silver wrote:

When covered you cannot tell Elf from Drow. Using name as indicator is not proper IMHO.
Your opinion is, unfortunately, not supported by empirical evidence discussed several times in the Disguise threads. It stands to reason if its the FIRST time someone is ever interacting with you in character, such effects would be enough to conceal your identity, but if they've seen you before, spoken to you before, etc. and you weren't under such effects, not using the disguise feature means they are assumed to recognize you by default through various other character specific quirks, like gait, sound of voice, body language and so forth. If you wish to attempt to remain unrecognized then -disguise is mandatory in any situation where a character COULD recognize you.

flower

Post by flower » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:04 pm

When you havent seen that person you cannot tell the difference.

And you will not be able to tell it on next encounter as well, as you had no clue before too.

And many people choose to play they did not recognized the person (their choice).

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:18 pm

WYSIWYG.

(What You See is What You Get)

If you are not using the -disguise feature, you can be presumed to not be going to any great length to disguise/conceal your character. Ergo if the other player has any reason to susspect your character is a Drow (description, concealed body, ect) then they can act on such. - coverings or no.

(That said - you as a character can't 'see' another characters name. So if that is really your one 'clue' please think twice before using it to presume a character is a Drow.)

However if a player wants to rule that, because the Drow is fully covered they can't recognise them as such - I've absolutly no problem with that either. But when in doubt- if you want to be concealing such an aspect, use the -disguise feature.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

flower

Post by flower » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Is why you ask travelers to remove helmet, to speak face to face (beside it being a polite thing to do:) ).

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:19 pm

I miss the days when Fight & Run were basically the only options

WanderingPoet

Post by WanderingPoet » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 am

Pavor Nocturnus wrote:Run or fight. Yes. It's drow. A monster. A danger to the surface. Not a nice, sweet, cute exception. If they're telling you they serve Eilistraee, they're very likely to be lying. Kill it.

This question shouldn't have to be asked, really.

I would even go so far as to say anyone assisting drow, giving them the benefit of the doubt or even so much as tolerating them, should be considered dangerous; a possible threat as well.
Agreed, how do you prove they follow Eilistraee rather than Lloth? Easiest to kill them and let the gods sort them out~
Path_of_Play wrote:Fear, intimidation, anger - All these, the tyrant's tools.
Laughter, encouragement, play - not simply just for fools.
These tools reveal,
More is learned,
From another in an hour of play,
Than in a year of contention.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:31 am

flower wrote:When covered you cannot tell Elf from Drow. Using name as indicator is not proper IMHO.
Forgotten Realms elves are not Greyhawk (core D&D) elves. Forgotten Realms elves are on average as tall as humans- only drow follow the short heights of core elves, making them stand out in stature as well as skin tone and language.

You can still tell that both creatures are elves if you're given a chance to look at their faces, but even an ignorant human who'd never met an elf before would know that one of those things isn't like the other.

The difference is like standing Shaq next to Larry Bird. They're both basketball players, but you would never mistake one for the other.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:34 pm

What about smaller elves and taller drow... I think it’s ok to rp to be at least unsure about the identity of an stoneskinned drow. ... This is one reason (besides many others) why I would like to see some standard elements in character descriptions. (e.g. a drow might carry other equipment)

"Just being nice and talk like normal" seems to be a common tactic to avoid PvP.
When playing Underdark characters this is most irritating.

I want to give two typical examples:

1) Sneaky UD goblin rogue pops up and demands the gold of an single unprepared character: 5% take it serious, rp a threat, and pay an reasonable amount of gold. 5% just walk on and try to ignore you. 20% drop 1 gold coin. And 70% talk, talk, negotiate, lamentation, talk, talk.... - even if you rp extrem anger and preparing to attack.

2) Orog walks the surface and meets a group of others. Does not care to hide he is one of the Darklands.... Reation: Invitation to hunt together (???)

So: Please rp hostility or you rob my fun! ;)

(And somehow goblins are most likely hunted while orogs not so much - size seem to matter ;)

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:02 pm

What’s wrong with trying to RP your way out of PVP?
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

Gods_Kill_People

Post by Gods_Kill_People » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:07 pm

cptcuddlepants wrote:What’s wrong with trying to RP your way out of PVP?
I think the point they are trying to make Jadoth, is that they aren't Rping it at all, just shrugging it off and ignoring it.