Consensus on surface attitude encountering the drow

Polls can be created by Patrons only (try-out for now)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Your character encounters a drow. Do you...

Poll ended at Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:51 pm

RUN!
29%
HIDE!
11%
FIGHT!
37%
Tolerate it with a hope of redeeming/ befriending it.
6%
“Enslave me, please!”
17%

Total votes: 70

cptcuddlepants

Re: Consensus on surface attitude encountering the drow

Post by cptcuddlepants » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:23 pm

nobs3 wrote:"Just being nice and talk like normal" seems to be a common tactic to avoid PvP.
When playing Underdark characters this is most irritating.

1) Sneaky UD goblin rogue pops up and demands the gold of an single unprepared character: 5% take it serious, rp a threat, and pay an reasonable amount of gold. 5% just walk on and try to ignore you. 20% drop 1 gold coin. And 70% talk, talk, negotiate, lamentation, talk, talk.... - even if you rp extrem anger and preparing to attack.

So: Please rp hostility or you rob my fun
This is what I was addressing. Talking and negotiating sounds like RPing to me - just not hostile grrr fight kill RP. He said there was only 5% that just walked away and ignored the attempt, so that can’t be what he’s talking about.

I’ve found that RP usually doesn’t go how I expect it to go :P
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

flower

Post by flower » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:02 pm

Well.

Like in real life. You spot gang of nasty guys. You cannot stop. You cannot slow, and you cannot run either. Self confidently walk pass. Mostly it helps. It does IG too. They often stop pondering reaction and you are already gone - even by walking pass by.

And when it helps not you still got your sword :lol:

flower

Post by flower » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:05 pm

WanderingPoet wrote:
Agreed, how do you prove they follow Eilistraee rather than Lloth? Easiest to kill them and let the gods sort them out~

They usually do not ambush you. And are not trying to kill you.

I find it hilarious from one point. When i played evil Drow who would také up challenge people kept running or backing down.

But when met my Eilistraeen priestess, and found out she is no threath, they began to bully, insult, be big bosses. Suddenly people turn to be big heroes when know the other side is not going to fight them.

Edit: I do not mind it, such behave only reveals doubtful morale values of said characters which means they are not persons a good aligmented character wishs to linger around :roll:

hoshi

Post by hoshi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:42 pm

nobs3 wrote: And 70% talk, talk, negotiate, lamentation, talk, talk.... - even if you rp extrem anger and preparing to attack.
I guess I don't see the issue with this. If they spend 2 minutes not giving you the gold, the one thing that you insinuated would save them from a crossbow bolt to the gut, you shoot them and keep their corpse/skull.

Then the next time you encounter someone and their PC start yapping, your goblin says:

"Me thinks you sound a lot like last human" *drop the corpse/skull* "Now me ask one more time, gold or life?"

High Primate

Post by High Primate » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:40 am

Fight or parley, but never run. :) That said, I really prefer some interesting and clever threats go down before the fight part begins.
Some builds I've worked on (not recommended):
Charisma Battlecleric
"E-Dodge Brycer"

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Hmm maybe I didnt describe it right.

@cptcuddlepants: hostility does not mean "grrr fight kill RP" to me at all. I am not very fond of PvP but I love those that can rp fear, threat, beeing astonished etc. and sometimes even "loosing" in the sence of giving up... (And I do it too! And hope it is respected and responded by rp)

@flower: the stupiest thing you can ever do if you are robbed in RL is to think you need to fight for what you have in cash with you or even try to negotiate and make the thief nervous. The normal reaction would be: "Here! *shows wallet and lays down all notes* Thats what I have. Take it and leave me be."

@hoshi: When I did those sneaky trips on surface I found some that would rather die than pay some gold. And that is really disturbing. Even if you rip their animal companion in small pieces or what ever prove you like.

But that was just one example. All try to stay IC - perfect. But if the "beeing nice" tactic to survive is spiced up a bit with some hints about fear, hostility, trickery, doubt... its just somewhat cooler.

hoshi

Post by hoshi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:57 pm

That's just the way some people are in that they'd rather lose than back down. It's not a sane option, then again people that leave the safety of their own home to brave the dangers of dungeons and dragons are not right in the head.

The thing with conflict based RP, more than likely someone is going to be unhappy at the end because by its nature it is non-cooperative (assuming no OOC chatter). I could see the "mark" saying that it wasn't enjoyable that someone waited till they were unprepared as the only options left to them were what they'd lose.

Does that make conflict RP inherently bad, not in my opinion. I'm just not surprised if the other side isn't keen on playing out the role I've given them in the manner I want.

Rockstar1984

Post by Rockstar1984 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:17 am

Politely ask them to leave, and hope that the "Sunite charm" works on them.

Edit: Sometimes ask them for information and pay them for it.

Oh the year was 1778...

cptcuddlepants

Post by cptcuddlepants » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:09 am

nobs3 wrote:Hmm maybe I didnt describe it right.

@cptcuddlepants: hostility does not mean "grrr fight kill RP" to me at all. I am not very fond of PvP but I love those that can rp fear, threat, beeing astonished etc. and sometimes even "loosing" in the sence of giving up... (And I do it too! And hope it is respected and responded by rp)

@flower: the stupiest thing you can ever do if you are robbed in RL is to think you need to fight for what you have in cash with you or even try to negotiate and make the thief nervous. The normal reaction would be: "Here! *shows wallet and lays down all notes* Thats what I have. Take it and leave me be."

@hoshi: When I did those sneaky trips on surface I found some that would rather die than pay some gold. And that is really disturbing. Even if you rip their animal companion in small pieces or what ever prove you like.

But that was just one example. All try to stay IC - perfect. But if the "beeing nice" tactic to survive is spiced up a bit with some hints about fear, hostility, trickery, doubt... its just somewhat cooler.
So - wait... correct me if my sleep-deprived self has read this wrong, but are you trying to say that you want more people to cower before you and lose to you?
When the going gets tough, the tough hide under the table.

Get Jad's portrait here!

flower

Post by flower » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:16 am

Paying few coins and go on does not sound like a loss...

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:07 pm

I'd rather die tbqh.
\

flower

Post by flower » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:44 pm

I just wonder why ask gold.

I would ask for the most hilarious item so if they have chosen to die,...like...left boot...lol...or something silly, so when they die over it they feel like complete idiots.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:58 pm

if someone has one of your possessions they can more easily scry on you and the like. that's why some people are willing to die over a boot.

hence why magically-knowledgeable people keep lead-lined boxes or pocketbooks and guard their possessions carefully, stops scrying.
\

flower

Post by flower » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:12 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:if someone has one of your possessions they can more easily scry on you and the like. that's why some people are willing to die over a boot.

hence why magically-knowledgeable people keep lead-lined boxes or pocketbooks and guard their possessions carefully, stops scrying.

I hear that first time. A fair point.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:25 pm

iirc because it's magic you can't just kill someone and jack their boot and scry, the object has to be given willingly, even if given willingly is under duress it still works, but if you just rob someone and they had no choice in handing the object over it's no longer 'your object' for the purposes of scrying

just what I've always thought, feel free to clarify with a DM, but its all flavor anyway.
\

flower

Post by flower » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:16 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:iirc because it's magic you can't just kill someone and jack their boot and scry, the object has to be given willingly, even if given willingly is under duress it still works, but if you just rob someone and they had no choice in handing the object over it's no longer 'your object' for the purposes of scrying

just what I've always thought, feel free to clarify with a DM, but its all flavor anyway.

I think that majority of characters do not know that or even care of it anyway :D

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:16 pm

BegoneThoth wrote:if someone has one of your possessions they can more easily scry on you and the like. that's why some people are willing to die over a boot.

Your enemies skull is a fine object to scry from.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:19 pm

Oh, we do that? I didn't know that was a thing. Advantage to the PvP crowd I guess.
\

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:21 pm

Usually I believe it would be at the parties discretion IMO.

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:18 am

I thought rezzing magic reduced unclaimed portions of someones body to ash/dust.

Didn't know about the skull thing; so if someone gets pvp wrecked a bunch you can just have nine copies of their skull on your mantle?
\

Commissar

Post by Commissar » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:31 am

You can. But an excess of skulls is usually frowned on, as an interior decorating choice.
May you live in interesting times.
Manticore, on Sun Elves wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty sure the racism is like a mating ritual or something. Like plumes on birds.

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:36 am

Definitely depends on the character for me.

My half-dragon that is sympathetic towards the life of being an outcast would tolerate and possibly (after enough time) befriend an Eilistraee(or other good god) follower, but would kill or run from the majority.

Most of my other characters would go with kill or run regardless of what deity they follow or what they claim to be. (fight/hide if they're on the surface, run/hide if I'm in the underdark)

nobs3
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by nobs3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 pm

cptcuddlepants wrote:
nobs3 wrote:...
So - wait... correct me if my sleep-deprived self has read this wrong, but are you trying to say that you want more people to cower before you and lose to you?
No *sights*. I don't want any one ot cover before ME or lose to ME...

I just want to say:
- there should be no fear to rp conflict, tension, distrust ... (which does not need to lead to simple PvP)
- I have much respect for those that can also rp to not always beeing on the top side, to show fear... (e.g. someone that can play a true slave, beeing robbed, fear when meeting a dragon the first time... what ever. Just showing some "human" sides of the hero...)
- stay IC means for me too that I personaly would not rp something like <better die than hand over gold> or <better die than risk to be scried on> or what ever. Because there is not much worse than dieing. [and the beeing nice rule and the theft rules also prevent demanding too much..]

I fear I again did write something that can easily be misinterpreted

Have fun! And grand fun!

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:10 am

I choose option 6.

Race the Drow back to Stonehold.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:16 pm

try to sexy elven fun times with it