What's your favorite spell schools?

Polls can be created by Patrons only (try-out for now)

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

What's your TWO favorite schools of magic?

Abjuration
9%
Conjuration
15%
Divination
12%
Enchantment
13%
Evocation
12%
Illusion
16%
Necromancy
13%
Transmutation
10%

Total votes: 225

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

What's your favorite spell schools?

Post by triaddraykin » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:58 am

Set it to get two, since some might have trouble choosing between one.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

gilescorey

Re: What's your favorite spell schools?

Post by gilescorey » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:02 am

EVO BABY

Also Necromancy. Necromancy is tight.

I also like the concept of Abjuration -- both building up protection and tearing it down, all in one school. But the Bigby's line of spells is too fun to say "I like abjuration more" to.

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:21 am

DI-VI-NA-TI-ON.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:06 am

In Arelith: abjuration and conjuration.

In tabletop games: illusion and transmutation.

Those two schools just allow so much creative potential when there is a DM overseeing things rather than everything being pre-coded.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Iceborn wrote:DI-VI-NA-TI-ON.
I hear you! I SEE YOU!

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 am

In both table-top and in NWN; Enchantment and Evocation, as a paired focus. Evocation is usually the specialization field, and then I drop conjuration and necromancy. Illusion allows me to make up for a large chunk of what I give up with the shadow conjuration line of spells, and necromancy lends itself to moral complications that aren't wanted in some role-playing groups.

Good will and reflex is a pretty rare combination- usually if something resists one it will be vulnerable to the other.

Being able to blow things up when diplomacy fails is also pretty satisfying. :lol:
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:49 pm

is it a meme that ive missed as to why divination is leading this poll?
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:56 pm

Diilicious wrote:is it a meme that ive missed as to why divination is leading this poll?
People really like Divination roleplay. It sucks mechanically, for sure, but I've seen a lot of inventive and interesting things done with it.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 pm

Transmutation is my favorite school on the grounds of Haste and all ability boosts.

Illusion is the runner-up for all the trickery and non death "death" spells.
:)

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:28 pm

gilescorey wrote:It sucks mechanically, for sure...
A well-timed -scry can pwn a character much more than any vorpal spork of epic mighty critical smiting ever could! One does not simply respawn all their secrets... :twisted:

Pavor Nocturnus

Post by Pavor Nocturnus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:27 pm

here
here
up here kane
Kane
up here
Kane morris

flower

Post by flower » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:33 pm

-XXX- wrote:
gilescorey wrote:It sucks mechanically, for sure...
A well-timed -scry can pwn a character much more than any vorpal spork of epic mighty critical smiting ever could! One does not simply respawn all their secrets... :twisted:

Play a character with no secrets! Then you do not care ha!

Punished Hans

Post by Punished Hans » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Musclemancy was sorta implemented with spellswords, tbh

BrilliantInsanity

Post by BrilliantInsanity » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:19 pm

From a purely thematic standpoint I have to choose Enchantment and Illusion. Mastery over the mind directly or indirectly <3 So much fun to be had either completely dominating someone to your will, or all the fun ways you could screw with them with illusions. <3

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:57 am

Mine is enchantment. Crowd control in pve was rather important, as well as finding ways to screw with low will save npcs/pcs.

Even if the offensive spells are worthless because of undead/constructs/buffs/high will saves, enchantment let me make tons of highly customized gear, so I was constantly able to get some benefit 24/7 from high end gear tailored to my characters build. Also, it was the best way to rp the creation of player-made artifacts and technology.

Illusion would be my second, simply because of the sheer versitility illusion rp provided.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:24 pm

Diilicious wrote:is it a meme that ive missed as to why divination is leading this poll?
I think Divination has the some of the most interesting philosophical questions of a wizard.

Necromancy is often over done, and plagued with lore battles, and generally always boils down to some animator trying to justify themselves about the "greater good" or "souless dead" blah blah yawn yawn.

Divination, on the other hand, is basically epistemology - the theory of knowledge. What is truth? What is known? What is the future? What do you believe? How is your belief founded? Can we look into the past? Can we understand the nature of humanity? Diviners "see" people - but what do they see? Is it their soul, or something else?

Ignoring the fortune-telling aspects of a diviner, divination (in my opinion) is like the high art of the arcane. Diviners aren't dealing with earthly matters, like evocation or illusion. It's just an interesting school to build a character around, and since it's so mechanically useless, you usually are gimped or build in a more interesting way or you default with IGMS.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

gilescorey

Post by gilescorey » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:31 pm

You can say that any school has good rp and bad rp, Seven; it's not like tarot-card, "third eye" gypsy diviners aren't as common and devoid of soul as your "greater good" animator example.

Just as divination can be roleplayed as epistemology, you can rp necromancy as biology, or thanatology. Or both.

... plus, it's really not a good school mechanically. Better than divination sure, but divination's the worst one.

#nidf

Diilicious

Post by Diilicious » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:09 pm

my server character has been a diviner for as long as ive known what i was doing in this game, but what i dont understand is why diviner spells are more prevalent in arcane magic users than Divine magic users.

As a cleric it seems to make much much more sense to have such powers since you are closer to your god and could know things that other people could not, but there are no benefits at all to being a cleric diviner.. hm, i dunno it just seems like a completely useless school that unless you have a lot of ooc information you could have an excuse to weave that into RP via "diviner powers" otherwise ive never found a use for it.
Name: Shanna Waynolt nee Tahir
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 106lb
Hair & facial archetype: Ginnifer Goodwin
Body shape archetype: Example

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:11 pm

Well, as you said... the SF, GSF and ESF in divination does not give you any mechanical power. In those terms those are essentially "wasted" feats. Arcanist builds (mostly wizards in particular) can afford to "waste" 3 feats much more easily than cleric builds. That's why you see more arcane diviners than cleric diviners IMO.

Cortex

Post by Cortex » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:39 pm

If divination was made mechanically useful, I'd imagine majority of casters would take it. It's taken over Transmutation which is better mechanically already.
:)

Hexgoblin

Post by Hexgoblin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:04 am

Necromancy and Conjuration for me. Always been a sucker for playing the minion master with summoned creatures, along with really digging necromantic and planar lore.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:16 am

I'd love for transmutation to get more attention. Maybe with the golem rework...
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:24 am

Cortex wrote:If divination was made mechanically useful, I'd imagine majority of casters would take it.
That statement points toward some inconsistencies when taking the current state of conjuration into account.

Dr_Hazard89

Post by Dr_Hazard89 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:11 am

Voted for evo, conj .. third option would have been enchantment. I love that combo on a wizzie. You got your pewpew, your call-a-friend, and your $$$.
Characters: Xun'sali (ACTIVE), Tianae Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Sylali (Rolled), Magpie (Rolled), Ker'uanna Tymeaneldth (Rolled), Lepota Poklona (Rolled), Andariel Bloodletter (Shelved), Tahl'tril Cyredrretyn (Rolled), L'omithiel (Shelved).

BegoneThoth

Post by BegoneThoth » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:39 am

Necromancy, mostly due to my favorite spell being necromancy, Magic Jar, and all the fun tricks that go along with it.
\