Would like to see -setclass or -setstat return in some form.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Aquanaut

Would like to see -setclass or -setstat return in some form.

Post by Aquanaut » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:28 pm

I realize it has been a while since these options were removed. I was wondering if there are any plans to bring it back in some shape or form?

I saw many arguments saying how easy it is to just level a new character but personally I don't like to have many characters and the ones I do have large amounts of hours invested. The remake option to tweak stats but lose absolutely everything you own doesn't seem ideal. Along with the idea that I can just create a new character with the stats I want and a new name and identity...I don't want that. I want the character I have with the history and chosen name and RP stories that has come with them. Not all of us like making character after character. It makes me uneasy knowing that this option is gone if my classes ever undergo a large change like how Paladin's no longer needed wisdom for their spell book and other things that have happened to classes over the years.

When I first made my characters I was not fully aware of how 3e worked and how Arelith changes were different from stock Neverwinter. I used a build guide but after playing my character and learning the game I realize small changes I would have made at character creation.

It would be nice to see these commands return in some shape or form. Even with a large cooldown or a requirement to have played the character for a long time to be eligible but at least ultimately available for those who wish to use it for their long term characters.

I realize this is something the DM's spent a lot of hassle and their personal time on in the past. And I greatly appreciate the work they did. I was just hoping that we would see this return in some way, shape or form. Perhaps with restrictions to not bombard the DM's with applications.

Finally I made this post cause I have moderate OCD and I struggle with some things in game. Having this as an option was really nice in the past.

Kythana

Re: Would like to see -setclass or -setstat return in some form.

Post by Kythana » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:41 pm

I think it should return in some format for award characters that have only existed for less a month or so.

But beyond that? No, I'm glad it's gone. We need less of characters that exist forever with legacy gear and millions in wealth rebuilding into whatever the flavor of the month build is.

Aquanaut

Post by Aquanaut » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:55 pm

I'd be fine if it was a one-time use to prevent FOTM changing or up to DM's discretion if the change in class is too drastic.

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:01 pm

Of note DMs already did refuse people if it was too drastic a class change and it was something DMs had to vote on together, not just one DM saying a player can or can't change

There were many who were refused a class change from something like barbarian to SS that said so and so I don't feel bad sharing that when they shared that info themselves

Security_Blanket

Post by Security_Blanket » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:16 pm

I'd like to see this come back in some form, I have one level 30 character I never play partly because he's stuck with a feat I grabbed at level 1 that I want to swap for Dirty Fighting because it became useful for the build and made sense for the character. Alas, I'm stuck with it for meow.

Draco Deleteur
Dreadlord Lucius Blackhand - "All is as Bane wills it."

Kythana

Post by Kythana » Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:22 pm

Level 1 feat change and skill changes would be ok. Most people generally don't assign skills until level 2 for this reason, so it wouldn't be doing anything differently beyond fixing some mistakes.

Class changes and stats though, no. I was told prior to it being removed that you needed three months of roleplay to justify a class swap, but in practice, I don't think it works, unless it's the exact same DM doing every review. It's better overall if it's just not an option.

Unless you're playing a major/greater award character, just remake.

And award characters shouldn't stick around. Having their old builds killed is a good thing to discourage playing the same rare race forever. Unless, of course, you get another high tier award.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:05 pm

I agree that skill changes and feat changes should be acceptable.
It makes no sense that because I picked a particular weapon focus type at level 1 I am locked in forever, whereas someone else who took blind fight at level 1 can -relevel all they want and change weapon focus type easily.

Jencent

Post by Jencent » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:23 pm

Same here, but for a class change. On my G-fathered aasimar i took Swash as 1 lvl class, just to take weapon finesse for free. But now this feat have ANY full BAB class.

Characters Status:
Jencent b'Ack - Got lost in the shadow plane & Died by unknown disease..
Angwil Bronzehand - Kickin and Screaming & Alive.
Waiting for Skeletons as playable race.
DM Butterfly wrote:You're an abomination of nature and balance

jamesfelicia

Post by jamesfelicia » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:23 pm

I sometimes think about how I will handle very large reworks to my characters' classes. Knowing setstat existed definitely put at ease my sense of perfectionism. I never used it but I knew that if I needed a small adjustment of a few points for fixing my character I could get it. (And I do mean fixing with how complicated some reworks can be.) Now, I'm not so confident. I think about the things I lose with a remake and now I have no ideal answer for when large sweeping changes impact my character's place in the world too heavily.

I try not to be much of a bother to others when I play. I really enjoy being able to entertain others with a concept that might seem dull at first glance. I feel like I'm giving mundane personalities the chance to be heroic and appreciated, and I like doing that. So I swear, my intentions are pure! I'm honestly just trying to keep up with everyone so that I don't disappoint them and their expectations of my characters in both mechanical and roleplay senses. The reason I feel that way is because I find myself surrounded by a lot of really just excellent people that I want to pay back for giving me their time and their patience.

When the time comes and I am required to make big changes, I think I will let people down if I can't make something mechanically good. I also think I'll let people down if I do the remake/delete option. And I don't believe I'm even entirely unreasonable for thinking that way. To me, roleplay is a stage performance; and above all, I want to help work with my other performers to give the 'audience' (ourselves) what they want to see. And so inevitably, there are people other than myself that have investment in my characters, and I want to satisfy the expectations people have for them when they're on stage. But the game's mechanics are not going to care at all about what is cool, what is good, and what people want. If my character takes a big hit mechanically, it will also manifest narratively, and the role my character has on the stage will have to change too. I worry that I am not skilled enough to make the necessary narrative adjustments in a manner that is realistic to the narrative, satisfying to others, and true to what I'm interested in portraying. That I will disappoint the people I work with, and my failure to reconcile with it will reflect badly on my abilities as a performer, even though none of these things will be stated explicitly.

So what do I actually plan to do? So far, I don't actually have any plans. I tell myself I'll deal with it when it comes and if it comes. I suppose my problem is setting certain expectations for myself to begin with. It would be nice if there were a safety net below me in case I really mess this up though. I am still only at the beginning of cultivating my roleplaying sense, and I hope one day I can manage things as well as all of you do. Having characters that fit into the world, the mechanics, and the narrative all perfectly. I would like to have my mechanical training wheels though. I know it's a little bit cheesy but just in case.

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:06 pm

These need to come back when the team has zero compunctions about massively overhauling classes and breaking characters. The animus towards long term characters is extremely unhealthy for an RP server in my opinion. I am still dreading the future monk overhaul and not being able to effectively rescue my character.

Eyeliner

Post by Eyeliner » Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:10 pm

ReverentBlade wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:06 pm

These need to come back when the team has zero compunctions about massively overhauling classes and breaking characters. The animus towards long term characters is extremely unhealthy for an RP server in my opinion. I am still dreading the future monk overhaul and not being able to effectively rescue my character.

Definitely think the issue is overblown. Characters coming and going in a flash is a much bigger problem than long term characters sticking around. I also think making long term characters who still have story left feel unwelcome by breaking their builds is not the least bit ideal.

Kythana

Post by Kythana » Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:14 pm

For those playing older characters whose build was suddenly broken by an update, take that as a sign to retire them.

This server is already biased against new character/players in a variety of ways, and it only compounds this by allowing ancient characters to continuously adapt. And beyond that...

Just remake? I've seen a few characters now coming back from older times in Arelith's history who remade their character from level 1. Sure, you lose your equipment, gold, ect, but that seems a fair price to me.

Mamma ama Warlock

Post by Mamma ama Warlock » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:27 am

Kythana wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:14 pm

For those playing older characters whose build was suddenly broken by an update, take that as a sign to retire them.

This server is already biased against new character/players in a variety of ways, and it only compounds this by allowing ancient characters to continuously adapt. And beyond that...

Just remake? I've seen a few characters now coming back from older times in Arelith's history who remade their character from level 1. Sure, you lose your equipment, gold, ect, but that seems a fair price to me.

Besides, established characters have weight, pull and connections that will allow them to get to full strength much more expediently than any new character ever could. An inconvenience? Sure. But if you made a mark and have connections, you'll be up and running in to time, compared to how long your character has already existed. The only issue are reward race characters, then it's painful.

-remake_character x2

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:37 am

Mamma ama Warlock wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:27 am
Kythana wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:14 pm

Besides, established characters have weight, pull and connections that will allow them to get to full strength much more expediently than any new character ever could. An inconvenience? Sure. But if you made a mark and have connections, you'll be up and running in to time, compared to how long your character has already existed. The only issue are reward race characters, then it's painful.

-remake_character x2

The only weight, pull and connections that they have which makes them unable to -remake is because they're holding on leases or items that are the -reason- of their status rather than themselves.

Mamma ama Warlock

Post by Mamma ama Warlock » Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:52 am

Biolab00 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:37 am

The only weight, pull and connections that they have which makes them unable to -remake is because they're holding on leases or items that are the -reason- of their status rather than themselves.

It is an inconvenience, you can't eat your cake and have it, too. If people you affiliate yourself with play nice and help you get back on your feet, it's a hurdle to overcome. If they don't, and you fall from grace, it is a character development arc. But I will refrain from commenting more on that, because it is predominantly a subjective question. You don't just chanage everything about who you are and what you became over a large period of time and pretend like it is how it's always been. There are fringe cases and exceptions to it (like award races), but I digress.

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:40 am

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I feel like character remakes should force you to stay the same class, and only be used for extreme class overhauls. Character turnover is good for the long-term health of the server, and as cool as you might think it might be to see that character you played as a barbarian or whatever now be a spell sword or whatever, odds are no one else is with you there.

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:01 am

Unread post by Babylon System is the Vampire » 06 Apr 2024 07:40

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I feel like character remakes should force you to stay the same class, and only be used for extreme class overhauls. Character turnover is good for the long-term health of the server, and as cool as you might think it might be to see that character you played as a barbarian or whatever now be a spell sword or whatever, odds are no one else is with you there

+1
If your playing a wizard and suddenly you start playing a fighter then you really shouldn't know all the things you new as a wizard, makes role playing the same character very grating to anyone meeting it for the first time, I mean why does this fighter know all about the planes and every detail about magic.
Met a character that had done kind of this and I found it very hard to take them seriously as I didn't know they had remade the character and just presumed they were metagaming knowledge they had from source books, which is basically what you are doing if your not playing the class your claiming all knowledge from.

Mamma ama Warlock

Post by Mamma ama Warlock » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:21 am

chris a gogo wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:01 am

+1
If your playing a wizard and suddenly you start playing a fighter then you really shouldn't know all the things you new as a wizard, makes role playing the same character very grating to anyone meeting it for the first time, I mean why does this fighter know all about the planes and every detail about magic.
Met a character that had done kind of this and I found it very hard to take them seriously as I didn't know they had remade the character and just presumed they were metagaming knowledge they had from source books, which is basically what you are doing if your not playing the class your claiming all knowledge from.

"Just let me forget everything about some of the most formative aspects of my personality and become a completely different person in a span of a few weeks to a month."

I do sympathise with people who's builds take a heavy hit from changes, I am there with you, in the same boat, but the situation above simply should not be, period.

Biolab00

Post by Biolab00 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:32 am

Mamma ama Warlock wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:21 am
chris a gogo wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:01 am

+1

"Just let me forget everything about some of the most formative aspects of my personality and become a completely different person in a span of a few weeks to a month."

I do sympathise with people who's builds take a heavy hit from changes, I am there with you, in the same boat, but the situation above simply should not be, period.

There could be many IC explanation such as...losing their weave / magical prowress and they start training to become a fighter from scratch etc etc etc...
The story could be -very- convincing...and it certainly make some sense...if we were to follow their train of logic...BUT...

It's really about the -hard- stats of your character.
You don't go from a 24 - 26 Int and become a 12 - 16 Int, growing your strength from 8 - 10 to 26 - 28.

Granted, you can certainly say...we lose the weave...so we lose the intelligence and gain more strength from training BUT...
losing intelligence is akin to becoming dumber...how do you even keep your memory when you literally lost 30% of your intellect...and how did the PC not actually become a -dumbo- is the true question here, nevermind keeping ALL their original knowledge.