Nolzur’s Pigments

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Second Breakfast

Nolzur’s Pigments

Post by Second Breakfast » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:21 pm

I think they should go away, and all their fixtures made available through the crafting system. Here is my reasoning:

1) None of the fixtures have any good, plausible in-character explanation as to why they cannot be simply made by the PC. Why can’t a smith make a bird cage with wrought-iron? Why is an alchemist unable to manage a blue ritual circle as opposed to a red one?

2) Their rarity makes them a prime target for thieves, thus ensuring that they rarely get used for fear of them being taken by quarterbreakers in favor of an easy flip. Think for a bit. When’s the last time you’ve seen any of the fixtures produced by the pigments in a public place?

3) There are plenty of other things that you can get through sailing, rare treasures that you can acquire for your character, that I doubt sailors would be too tore up over this change.

Last edited by Second Breakfast on Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maxine Majesta - Smoke and Mirrors
Moira Orseeva - The Conductor of Souls {FIN.}

Windows95 CD-ROM

Re: Nolzur’s Pigments

Post by Windows95 CD-ROM » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:26 pm

I agree with this statement. Some of the fixtures from the pigments are also super cool and are rarely seen in game because of the statements above. I only saw the bird-cage about a month ago and the other fixtures a handful of times. They don't see a lot of use because of their rarity.

stoneheart-

Post by stoneheart- » Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:42 pm

The problem I have with them, is that they're called "pigments", their icon is a brush, but they aren't capable of making any uhh.. objects of art.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:16 pm

It's a pigment set that makes the stuff that the character paints with it real.
It's not there to create landscape paintings. We've got plenty of options for that already - https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Art_crafting#Fixture

BTW this is the perfect endgame treasure - it's rare enough for people to show off with it, but confers no mechanical advantage whatsoever.
And I disagree with the idea that ppl don't use them because they fear the fixture would get stolen - it's the exact opposite to what I'm seeing IG.

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:01 pm

The only issue with the pigments I have is that some of the objects aren't fixtures.

The first of the total of two times I've gotten those pigments I used to make some pretty sparkly pearls- It was slightly disappointing that I didn't get a fixture but just 10 stack of normal pearls lol.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:04 pm

So thats where bird cages and model ships come from? I always thought those where DM gifted items.

I'll admit to having never heard of this before IG or OOC, but it's pretty neat to learn about. Though I'm not sure how common knowledge it is. I'm guessing this treasure is a sailing only item, as that's where all the wealth focus is these days?

For my own knowledge, it appears to be an item found from a chest that when used gives a random reward from a limited list?

silverpheonix

Post by silverpheonix » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:28 pm

Edens_Fall wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:04 pm

So thats where bird cages and model ships come from? I always thought those where DM gifted items.

I'll admit to having never heard of this before IG or OOC, but it's pretty neat to learn about. Though I'm not sure how common knowledge it is. I'm guessing this treasure is a sailing only item, as that's where all the wealth focus is these days?

For my own knowledge, it appears to be an item found from a chest that when used gives a random reward from a limited list?

Yep. Retail is anywhere from 500,000-1,000,000 depending where you find them. The intent was something for wealthy characters to drop money on.

Clayton on the Discord.

Lilith Vensurai: [Whisper] Dib's in charge of not exploding reality.
Johnathan Rigsby: [Whisper] This is unfair.

Farengar Secret Flavour

Post by Farengar Secret Flavour » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:19 pm

remove map pieces from library shelves

add unique sailing loot to rare world loot pool

Diegovog

Post by Diegovog » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:49 pm

I'm also in favor of removing map pieces in general bookshelves. Increase them in boarded ship bookshelves.

Only three items really see use out of the pigments: Rune circle (gorgeous), tiny ship (adorable) and the parrot in a cage. We could improve the selections adding use to the others or adding new ones.

For instance, allow the keg to have drinkable ale.
Add a bonus of +2 sailing (not per person) to ships with the anchor fixture in them.
Etc.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:36 pm

Removing them from bookshelf loot not only increases the price of these items it also reduces the ways in which people without sail can help those with it.
I think this is counter to and further divides the rp scene of the server so am against that.

I also don't particularly think having valuable things hidden behind such systems is problematic but there should be parity with on land systems also giving alternative but similarly useless cosmetics.

Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:22 pm

Sincra wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:36 pm

Removing them from bookshelf loot not only increases the price of these items it also reduces the ways in which people without sail can help those with it.
I think this is counter to and further divides the rp scene of the server so am against that.

I also don't particularly think having valuable things hidden behind such systems is problematic but there should be parity with on land systems also giving alternative but similarly useless cosmetics.

I agree with both and would second the last part. Currently, everything like this seems to be locked behind sailing, which I personally have no great desire to do. Having at least one land-based epic dungeon that offers a chance at these sorts of rare items would be appreciated, while also allowing others to partake of the spoils. Such a dungeon would have to be made or a currently existing one upgraded to be on par with the sailing one however.