Summon Adjustments

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Gibbaddy

Re: Summon Adjustments

Post by Gibbaddy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:44 pm

Still here, hoping for some revision.

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:22 pm

Hi!

I'm not sure if bug or intended, as it was not anounced ...

Since today, mass bear endurance doens't work on summons.
Happened a few times, on different servers.

Intended as part of adjustments or I should file bug report? :)

Thanks!

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:00 pm

They made it that all spells that are AoE (Except for the undead buffing spells apparently) no longer effect Conjurations of any kind. That was part of the overhaul.

Then they nerfed the states of all the summons to be wet tissues to be shredded in a moments notice by anything remotely the same level as you.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:57 pm

Kalthariam wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:00 pm

Then they nerfed the states of all the summons to be wet tissues to be shredded in a moments notice by anything remotely the same level as you.

I've been playing a level 30 melee bard doing runics using a death slaad. Obviously, I'm not going to the hardest places on the server, but I certainly don't think they are all useless. If you have specific complaints and issues with specific summons, then voice them, don't complain about the whole thing as no one can possibly address your issue.

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Rubricae
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Location: Space Station 3 (Have you seen Carmen Miranda's ghost?)

Post by Rubricae » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:11 am

Xerah wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:57 pm
Kalthariam wrote:

I've been playing a level 30 melee bard doing runics using a death slaad. Obviously, I'm not going to the hardest places on the server, but I certainly don't think they are all useless. If you have specific complaints and issues with specific summons, then voice them, don't complain about the whole thing as no one can possibly address your issue.

Most of the elemental summons, all the way up to meteor feel extremely weak compared to where they were previously. Even in just going around non-runic dungeons keeping them alive has become much more tedious, and it's actually made me reconsider using elemental meteor.

The loss of the mass zoo buff spells on top of the massive gutting of each summon has lead to an overall QoL loss.
Kalthariam's issue can be addressed by either reverting the change entirely, allowing for most if not all buff spells to be used on summons(sequencers don't compare), or choosing the stat reductions / no mass zoo buff - but not both.

This entire thread is full enough with specifics that should provide ample examples from a much wider variety of players, classes, and dungeon run styles - enough to hopefully show that across the board, it's hurt everybody.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 am

solar separation wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:11 am

This entire thread is full enough with specifics that should provide ample examples from a much wider variety of players, classes, and dungeon run styles - enough to hopefully show that across the board, it's hurt everybody.[/color]

Yep, lots of good feedback in the thread. However vague posts do not help the developers address it these complaints.

If someone wants to post to complain, then it's better done elsewhere.

Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Gerhazo

Post by Gerhazo » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:29 pm

Xerah wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:57 pm
Kalthariam wrote:

For a somewhat different perspective to this, playing an utility-oriented caster bard, when gauging the effect of the changes, I watched my greater planar binding summon almost die (from 100% health to 20%) dueling a single archer in the Duergar Stronghold, under the effect of a max level bardsong.

I've become reliant on finding a party or henchmen being available for PVE content (which, in UD for high level content, there's only Matron Bloodbeard that is of any note), with summons just being temporary meatshields for those.

Admittedly, it is somewhat my fault, my build is sub-optimal, having made it PvE and utility (appraise/search/sailing) focused at cost of PVP-viability. With the PVP-oppressive builds also dominating PVE (and not being reliant on summons or otherwise affected), the changes caught me off guard since with how long those builds have been dominant and complained about I was expecting any focus to be on them. Amusingly, they turned out to have been and still remain the safe pick that in hindsight I would've been better off going with from the start.

I have now landed in an awkward spot where I have neither pvp or pve viability, having expected the oppressive classes that dominate both areas to be the focus of any potential changes and wrongly presuming summons to be in a stable spot due to how ineffective they are considered outside of dungeons.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:51 pm

I definitely was surprised when I found out I could use that death slaad and it did not die instantly in a few high level places I could take it to (I still do take henchmen, but I don't guard the slaad). It felt about the right strength for a 6th level summon spell to me.

That said, I do not see any way that a caster bard could do the same thing (maybe with the Matron?) as you seem to have had experience with. It might be an option that some summons could take buffs from casters depending on their paths (i.e. ones without self melee ability).

I'm also not sure about the Requiem ability (from dirge singer) for instance that is supposed to increase bard song level when applied to undead, I guess that is completely useless now.

Coolguy McMagic

Post by Coolguy McMagic » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:05 am

I'm sure this has been suggested already, but maybe we can add casting stat scaling to all summons now?
The hybrid caster-martial characters rarely get a higher base score than 18-20 and of course the martials that just used Summon III scrolls to get through early content had even less of that.
Meanwhile, full investment into your casting stat gets less and less appealing for actual casters thanks to DC spells falling further and further off. Casting stat scaling could alleviate that issue and ensure summons are strong for the classes and builds that ACTUALLY need them.