Manacles Feedback

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Spriggan Bride

Re: Manacles Feedback

Post by Spriggan Bride » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:58 pm

I don't deny these are cool but as someone who sometimes has to exit the game because family needs me or I get impossible to predict work calls I don't imagine I'll ever agree to have them placed on a character. The optout rules seem really rough and I don't ever want to have to defend my leaving a video game to DMs.

Last edited by Spriggan Bride on Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glaucozilla

Post by Glaucozilla » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:00 pm

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:49 pm
Glaucozilla wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:02 pm

The DCs are way too high, requiring only some specialized lock picker\sleight of hander to escape

I will be observing DCs, but know that during my tests, I used a level 5 rogue. They were able to get out of steel and mithril manacles fairly consistently.

try escaping the adamantine with 90+ DCs, but that's not the point. You can escape them by opting out anyways.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:52 pm

I've noticed that the breaking out actions get interrupted by combat actions the same way for instance you wouldn't be able to use certain items because "You're too excited to do this!" even if a party member prompted this. There is no such prompt in this case (No combat log dialogue), but if a combat action happens while the bar is filling up by the time it is finished nothing will happen and you get no feedback. I only tested this once.

Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

HeyLadyOfDecay
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by HeyLadyOfDecay » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:05 am

In Sorrow We Trust wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:49 pm
Glaucozilla wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:02 pm

The DCs are way too high, requiring only some specialized lock picker\sleight of hander to escape

I will be observing DCs, but know that during my tests, I used a level 5 rogue. They were able to get out of steel and mithril manacles fairly consistently.

I think this is mostly a "Some builds will laugh, Some builds will cry" matter.

Lyann Reyer. Back by demand.
(Mass grave of other characters)

WitchyEvil

Post by WitchyEvil » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:03 am

Testing with Friends.. we were all level 30.
Iron Manacles - The lowest tier
DC: 63
Seems a bit excessive.

And if it's calculating in the way I -think- it's calculating, that means the more OL you have invested in hard ranks, the harder it is to.. actually Open Locks.

I'd recommend shifting to a SET DC for each tier.

Currently Playing
Lilith Vensurai

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:00 am

The DC calculation is affected not your Open Lock Skill, but PC level, as explained in the wiki Capture page. This can also be lowered with the Attrition Degradation mechanic, which may need another PC's help.

https://wiki.nwnarelith.com/Capture

It may be helpful to look through it.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

chris a gogo

Post by chris a gogo » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:13 am

So the higher level you are the worse you are at escaping?
Is it me or is that counter intuitive?

Eira
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Eira » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:38 am

If you go up 1 level and gain 1 more skill point for open lock, you are about as capable of escaping as you were before.

I exist to describe the world around us.

Akorae

Keth'ym Evanara - wandering better paths
Veriel Xyrdan - married and happy
Reena Welkins - Dead

Discord: eighra

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:51 am

WitchyEvil wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:03 am

Testing with Friends.. we were all level 30.
Iron Manacles - The lowest tier
DC: 63
Seems a bit excessive.

And if it's calculating in the way I -think- it's calculating, that means the more OL you have invested in hard ranks, the harder it is to.. actually Open Locks.

I'd recommend shifting to a SET DC for each tier.

This is to make it equally fair for low levels as it is for high levels. The DCs added after the fact are modifiers. You're not intended to get out on the first try (but it's not impossible). Attrition plays a part.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:17 pm

Great addition to the game.

I really don’t see the downside to this, especially as it adds a mechanical element beyond simply emoting yourself as a prisoner in cuffs.

This is a fun addition to allow prisoner RP beyond simply remaining in a cell or being questioned by allies as to why you ‘didn’t just lens’ or teleport away/haste run away. Before, you could always RP being under some agreed control such as emoting magical bindings, but anyone not clued into that and spying on the situation isn’t going to be aware of this and suddenly you’re labelled as ‘cooperative’.

Thanks for the new toys!

MischeviousMeerkat

Post by MischeviousMeerkat » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:20 pm

Personally, I think they're too big in my inventory to keep some around. I do not play a guard though so regular adventurers probably shouldn't just have handcuffs lying around.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:27 pm

MischeviousMeerkat wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:20 pm

Personally, I think they're too big in my inventory to keep some around. I do not play a guard though so regular adventurers probably shouldn't just have handcuffs lying around.

I feel like this is probably a good thing? Carrying manacles should be a very deliberate choice, and having some cost associated with being ready to use them makes sense. I'd take inventory space over weight any day.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Algol

Post by Algol » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:09 am

I think polymorph and shape shifting removing the manacles is extremely easy compared to other routes. Considering potions of mutation are avaible from a vendor. I'd make mithril and better manacles not get removed from it rather than just runic.

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:27 am

Algol wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:09 am

I think polymorph and shape shifting removing the manacles is extremely easy compared to other routes. Considering potions of mutation are avaible from a vendor. I'd make mithril and better manacles not get removed from it rather than just runic.

This requires a sleight of hand check.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:22 pm

Having played around with it a touch;

It would be cool if manacles did a successful disarm on the captive to have them put away weapons and staffs and such. Carrying a sword, staff, or shield while arms are bound is a touch silly. If it's possible, even just not allowing held items to be equipped while bound would be very nice.

There's also the ability to use things like wands and scrolls, but I don't have strong feelings on those right now other than how they interact while bound being considered.

Naghast

Post by Naghast » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:32 am

Miaou wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:22 pm

It would be cool if manacles did a successful disarm on the captive to have them put away weapons and staffs and such. Carrying a sword, staff, or shield while arms are bound is a touch silly. If it's possible, even just not allowing held items to be equipped while bound would be very nice.

There's also the ability to use things like wands and scrolls, but I don't have strong feelings on those right now other than how they interact while bound being considered.

Maybe not outright unequip them (not everyone has inventory space for this), but "disable" them for the entire duration (so, like disarm) would be cool, yea.

Last edited by Naghast on Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:08 am

Naghast wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:32 am
Miaou wrote:

Maybe not outrighi unequip them (not everyone has inbentory space for this), but "disable" them for the entire duration (so, like disarm) would be cool, yea.

It could also really mess with peoples spellbooks, requiring a rest to fix, which fills up a rest meter and this can be very annoying for casters.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:10 am

Hazard wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:08 am
Naghast wrote:
Miaou wrote:

Maybe not outrighi unequip them (not everyone has inbentory space for this), but "disable" them for the entire duration (so, like disarm) would be cool, yea.

It could also really mess with peoples spellbooks, requiring a rest to fix, which fills up a rest meter and this can be very annoying for casters.

I see nothing wrong with this. And people shouldn't have full inventories anyways. Almost everyone knows having a full inventory is just asking to lose holdable items.

xanrael

Post by xanrael » Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:56 am

Miaou wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:10 am
Hazard wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:08 am
Naghast wrote:

I see nothing wrong with this. And people shouldn't have full inventories anyways. Almost everyone knows having a full inventory is just asking to lose holdable items.

There could be some middle ground. I think there is already code to check if the inventory can hold an item for some of the -loadoutfit stuff. So it could check that first then react appropriately. If there is plenty of room throw the weapon/shield in the inventory, if not then apply the -disarm effect.

If that can't be done then I'd rather it not risk throwing the weapon to the ground as losing a weapon can be a greater penalty than being corpse-bashed. It seems like an inconsistent level of loss and would potentially lead to OOC bad blood for little gain.

perseid

Post by perseid » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:10 am

Posting here since I think it'll be easier overall to let the -optout command thread die so the discussions can be consolidated. What are the expectations in a scenario with multiple manacled subjects but in which only one chooses to -optout (for what we'll assume in this hypothetical is a valid reason)? Does their peer who remains become obligated to endorse the explanation their captors give, coordinate oocly to adapt to the new development, -optout themselves to keep the scene from becoming convoluted at that point, or is this enough of an edge case that it makes more sense to wait until such a scenario plays out ig to make a hard rules call?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:57 pm

perseid wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:10 am

Posting here since I think it'll be easier overall to let the -optout command thread die so the discussions can be consolidated. What are the expectations in a scenario with multiple manacled subjects but in which only one chooses to -optout (for what we'll assume in this hypothetical is a valid reason)? Does their peer who remains become obligated to endorse the explanation their captors give, coordinate oocly to adapt to the new development, -optout themselves to keep the scene from becoming convoluted at that point, or is this enough of an edge case that it makes more sense to wait until such a scenario plays out ig to make a hard rules call?

I think that's really going to be an edge case, because it depends a lot on the people in question and how they feel? I like to think we're mostly mature enough that we'd work to find something that is reasonably equitable to all.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:10 am

I absolutely love this. Especially the runic ones where you cannot be conjured. How often do I not hear people writing someone off because they tried to conjure them and the players refused because they wanted to experience capture RP and not be freed in the first 5 seconds. No doubt there can and will be improvements made over time, but I think everything about this has been really well thought out. Including the fact they are big, don't stack and take up enough space in your bag that you can't be carrying around a 100 of these babies. It allows you to be selective and keep them for high profile captures, calculating which manacle is best to use when and why.

It's great for Guard RP and even would work wonders for the slavery RP. Capturing someone with a manacle until they are clamped. Again, making sure that you can't conjure them away in 5 seconds.

Great addition with so many opportunities and avenues for more RP.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled