Camp fixtures! Would they be more useful if they were smaller?

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Camp fixtures! Would they be more useful if they were smaller?

Post by Subutai » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:58 pm

One thing I've always been just mildly frustrated by is the existence of bedrolls and tents to have a camp, but given their 3x2 size, the difficulty of actually bringing them around with you to use as a camp. Being able to stop and post a camp in the middle of an adventure is a big part of a lot of different games (especially DnD), but is almost impossible in Arelith given the already extremely limited inventory space.

I think it would be absolutely wonderful if a few fixtures, like tents and bed rolls, could be mad into 1x2 or 1x1 inventory items, and maybe given a despawn timer (or just don't save them on reset as part of the fixture total, to avoid spamming).

Obviously, the suggestion box being closed, this is more of a forum of discussion. Would you use tents/bedrolls/etc., to camp out in the wilds during adventures if they were easier for your character to bring around? Would they still go ignored and unused? Would you use them, but think my idea for how to make them more useful is atrocious and everyone is stupider for having read it?

Cerk Evermoore

Re: Camp fixtures! Would they be more useful if they were smaller?

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:40 pm

Allow tents or bedrolls to let you rest when you are 50% rest +?

Eters

Post by Eters » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:51 pm

Perhaps a traveling bag that is similar to a book bag where you can stuff 1 bedroll, 1 tent, and a set amount of firewood? Would certainly be nice, take less space, make sense in a narrative view, or just have a mandatory STR half orc friend carry all the luggage for you. :cry:

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:35 pm

I carry them around anyway. I long for that sweet, sweet, campfire-story RP. One day I'll rope enough PCs together to do a riding-tour of the isle, complete with wilderness camps at nightfall.

A weight/size reduction would be nice, though.

I know Borin used to carry a tent, and plonk it down whenever he logged. It was always neat to pass; even though I was never on the same timezone as the player. Lent the character a nice permanency. Not that we should all do it, or we'd never move for all the weight of tents.

Rigela

Post by Rigela » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:23 am

I would love to have these and make much more use of them if they were more manageable in size/weight.
Isabella Isherwood - Priestess of Selune
Piper Barley - Joybringer of Lliira

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:35 pm

Drowble Oh Seven wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:35 pm
I carry them around anyway. I long for that sweet, sweet, campfire-story RP. One day I'll rope enough PCs together to do a riding-tour of the isle, complete with wilderness camps at nightfall.

A weight/size reduction would be nice, though.

I know Borin used to carry a tent, and plonk it down whenever he logged. It was always neat to pass; even though I was never on the same timezone as the player. Lent the character a nice permanency. Not that we should all do it, or we'd never move for all the weight of tents.
I just caught this...I am so, so happy to know someone noticed I was doing that! Thank you for that!

Also...yes, more uses and praticality when it comes to tents and bedrolls would be awesome.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

BobTheSkull

Post by BobTheSkull » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:09 pm

Increased adventure xp gain while actively RP in town or near a campfire.

Tripple the adventure xp per tick to anyone who hasn't killed anything but has been active within the last tick while in town or within proximity of a campfire.

Let's mechanically reward people for sitting around a camp, or pub, sharing stories. We all get obscene amount of adventure XP which is meaningless in it's quantity. 3x reward will give a way to actually make use of it and reward players who stay in town or sit with a pretty view and RP.

As to size, I like the idea of tents, bedrolls, camp fires being not saved (the clutter is annoying) but also to add a "camp bag" that can hold the above. I'd personally suggest it hold 1 tent, 1 bedroll, 3x campfires. If also suggest that the newly implemented axe for wood cutting include as use feature that would turn hard or soft wood into firewood without a carpenter station.