Automated Server Resets

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Automated Server Resets

Post by Subutai » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:14 am

It seems like it's pretty often that Arelith's servers, particularly C&P, get so laggy they're unplayable before a DM happens along and can fix it. Generally speaking, this happens at almost the same time every night, in the early evening PST or so, when everyone in America has been a while.

Since it seems to be fairly often that there are no DMs available to reset the server for quite some time, I feel like it would be extremely beneficial to automatically reset the servers every 12 or 24 hours, maybe at 6PM or so PST. This would prevent the current (and relatively frequent) situation of extreme lag with no reset in sight.

Braid

Re: Automated Server Resets

Post by Braid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:26 am

If this could be done and somehow avoiding Epic Chest campers abusing the regularity then yes, regular automated resets would be pretty nice.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:29 am

The nice thing about this would be you would know the reset was coming so you could make sure to not be halfway through a dungeon only to restart with no buffs or spawns in a horde of baddies

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:53 am

Perhaps randomize it within a certain threshold....24-48 hours? Make the gap large enough to be unpredictable, but often enough to be useful.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

theCountofMonteCristo
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by theCountofMonteCristo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:45 pm

Maybe allow players to call for a reset with -reset ? Enough 'votes' for it, and an automated reset hits?

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:01 pm

theCountofMonteCristo wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:45 pm
Maybe allow players to call for a reset with -reset ? Enough 'votes' for it, and an automated reset hits?
Nah. I can see someone cheesing that. "Oh no our settlement is under attack!" Que clique of players on the defending side put in a vote for a reset and bring down the server in the middle of an event.

Also, any large event that causes lag would get people flagging the server for reset if they don't know an event is going on. Leaving it in the hands of the players is a bad idea.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:25 pm

The server resets have been timed with my logins, so if any tryhard campers want to get in on the good stuff, I can send you a group email two hours before logging!
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect