Remove the Dominate Person/Monster VFX

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Remove the Dominate Person/Monster VFX

Post by Kalopsia » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:17 am

Adventurer wrote:"The floating blue circle above your head tells me you are being subjected to a magical compulsion, stranger. I shall not trust you."

I don't see how anyone but a skilled spellcaster could realistically notice a person being magically dominated. Enchantments are mind magic, they don't create illusions that give away their effects, and I've found that, at times, these VFX can tempt people to completely disregard the RP of dominated creatures.

Please remove the VFX, perhaps add a spellcraft check to reveal the domination effect if the creature is examined. That'd create so many possible RP options for dedicated enchanters. :)

Imagine a wanted criminal dominating a guardsman to vouch for their disguised identity while they visit the city. Or a known evildoer encountering team good somewhere out in the wilds - only to have his dominated associate (perhaps a paladin, a "Chosen One") claim to "walk off this bandit." All this could be possible if the VFX is removed. (Technically it already is possible - but that's when the quote above often ruins all the fun :D)

Drowble Oh Seven

Re: Remove the Dominate Person/Monster VFX

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:23 am

Mhm-hm. I'm all in favour of less spell visuals cluttering up my morbid, creepifying dominated creature RP.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Re: Remove the Dominate Person/Monster VFX

Post by Irongron » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:52 am