Greyport created thoughts

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Greyport created thoughts

Post by Subutai » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:26 pm

Ebonstar wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:19 pm
The Greater Good wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:04 pm
What do you think is going to happen to the UD population without them?
Who or what is "them" in this context? It's nice when spin-off threads provide the necessary context, without making us go back and search through another thread. Thank you!

Sea Shanties

Post by Sea Shanties » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:01 pm

"Them" is going to be either outcasts or drow and neither are going away, nor do they really have anything specifically to do with Greyport...

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:26 pm

It is entirely unrelated. You can have non-optimal and optimal builds of any race.

Having played in the Andunor every now and then, Drow always had the issue where there is no one holding them together. Typically when two Houses grow too much, they clash. Whereas Outcasts within the Sharps have historically had a much more stable cohesion among them.

This issue is also quite canon, Drow machinations and politics are actually the a Drow dominion greatest hindrance.
This is not an RP issue, Drow are not entitled to have things just because, you have to fight for them like anyone else, be it through political backstabbing, or physical backstabbing.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:05 pm

What roleplay is denied because humans can get 2 gifts and start in Andunor? Lloth tlu malla roleplay? I, for one, welcome our human overlords.

Remember that time when an orog ruled sharps and created an entire faction around killing elves? The Iron Order. Damn, that was some GREAT roleplay. Oh, and when cyricists took over and ruled with their bizarro bad Snuggybear roleplay - dope. What were UD exclusive drow players doing during that time. Oh shit, I can't even remember. Must've been unimportant.

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:14 pm

I agree with Shadow. Many of the drow are prideful supremacists known to betray anyone as soon as it profits them. The outcasts are less so by definition.

Many characters are drawn to work with people who treat them as valued associates rather than lessers. Even if it is just a sham. That causes the humans to have easier time gathering influence.

And I think it fits the setting perfectly.

Also I think growing human population is a perfectly valid consern for many non human characters in Andunor.

However retaliation is equally organic response.

I suppose it comes down to that you should erase any ooc feelings on the state of affairs and instead work IC towards that goal. Not to change things but to see where it gets your character. Also cunning characters tend to fare better in such endeavours.

Ramble over.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:42 pm

This whole thing really gets more into one of the key central issues with Drow in Forgotten Realms: Their entire system is completely untenable and should, by all rights, have collapsed into pieces long ago. It really only still exists because the people in charge at the top of the campaign setting continue to keep them around as they were created way back in the 70's or 80's.

If human outcasts are at risk of taking over too much of Andunor, I'd say it comes down to consistent roleplay on both sides, in a positive way. I've said before that Arelith's nature as a persistent multiplayer world gives it a lot more complexity and realism than Forgotten Realms normally has, and the same seems true here. If Drow struggle to hold onto power in Andunor, it isn't because there's something wrong with Andunor. Rather, it's reflection of the exact ways that Drow are supposed to act. The nature of their society isn't conducive to actually holding a society together. It's conducive to a society that's on the verge of collapse or major upheaval.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:16 pm

Subutai wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:42 pm
This whole thing really gets more into one of the key central issues with Drow in Forgotten Realms: Their entire system is completely untenable and should, by all rights, have collapsed into pieces long ago. It really only still exists because the people in charge at the top of the campaign setting continue to keep them around as they were created way back in the 70's or 80's.

If human outcasts are at risk of taking over too much of Andunor, I'd say it comes down to consistent roleplay on both sides, in a positive way. I've said before that Arelith's nature as a persistent multiplayer world gives it a lot more complexity and realism than Forgotten Realms normally has, and the same seems true here. If Drow struggle to hold onto power in Andunor, it isn't because there's something wrong with Andunor. Rather, it's reflection of the exact ways that Drow are supposed to act. The nature of their society isn't conducive to actually holding a society together. It's conducive to a society that's on the verge of collapse or major upheaval.
Pretty much this. Drow society, in practice, is completely unfeasible. It would struggle to function at a basic level, let alone present a threat to anything outside of it. It's a good thing that Forgotten Realms is fantasy, because it's a complete fantasy that anything like that could actually exist.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:22 pm

deleted
Last edited by Ebonstar on Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes I can sign

Lunargent

Post by Lunargent » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:57 am