Time cloak

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Cagus

Time cloak

Post by Cagus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi,
maybe this was already proposed somewhere, but I didn't find it, so I open discussion about this. This is feedback on using Timestop and protection against it.

Solution:
Cloak giving immunity to effect of Timestop.
Uncraftable, lootable only - highest tier/rarity.
This item could not be runed for any additional properties. (Or only runed with master (3rd tier) rune.
Can be 5% enchanted, but with really great cost and for its rarity (only looted), this would probably not be the usual thing.

Why:
Timestop is without doubt one of the most strong spells in the game (if not the strongest), for it can be also casted from scroll (without potentiality of interuption).
This spell is used not only as defensive mechanism, but also as offensive one.
There cannot be taken any precausion nor there are any means how to defend against it. This would give this option, but at great cost: losing one items slot completely.
This could also became effective tool against chaining of timestops at one side.
This would also make choice of a caster to cast this spell more demanding to determine, if it cannot backfire in the result. One can never know if enemy has this items equiped.

As meantioned before, the drawback of this item would be completele lose of one item slot, so even someone who obtains it has to decide, if it is worth having it on. Therefore, this would be situational item.

And the last thing, the name. Lorewise, the best choice would Chronomancers cloak, but even something like Timewalking cloak would be nice.
Awaiting your opinions.

Stayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy~~~~~~~~~ *timestop ended* safe

Nitro

Re: Time cloak

Post by Nitro » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:20 pm

Here's a few things that you can do to avoid a TS.
#1 Use your own TS scroll when the opponent uses one, result, both casters get frozen and nothing happens.
#2 KD the caster, they'll be stuck getting up for the entire duration of the timestop
#3 Any other CC
#4 GSanc when you see the TS being cast.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Timestop certainly is an interesting spell. I feel it is in a good place after the last nerf. This is probably the first Timestop thread this year, which means things must be going better. However healing potions on the other hand need a 3-5 second cd between uses.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:09 am

You can guarantee that no matter how rare it was, people would grind non-stop for it. And all this would do is encourage the use of time stop, with people getting the cloak being immune to it would mean that friendlies who cast time stop would allow an entire side to decimate the other.

You'd see entire factions farming this cloak just to be able to drop one time stop and kill entire groups. Time stop would become even more prevalent, and now if you don't have the time to farm this cloak for you and your entire faction, you'd be at a complete disadvantage. Entire fights would just be people dropping one time stop after another. You'd be frozen in time while several people ripped you to pieces.

This isn't a counter to time stop. If you wanted to counter time stop, you'd either stop it from being cast or have it be wasted. All this does is make the arms race for PvP even more steep for people who don't know what they are getting into.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Disciprine Come From Within

Post by Disciprine Come From Within » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 am

I'm still waiting for the secret update when drinking 100 coffees in 6 minutes grants you timestop.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:39 am

Can timestop be subjected to spell resistance. That seems like it would spice things up in the same way but not add a n elitist item to do so. It also seems more in keeping with the lore

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:18 am

Archnon wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:39 am
Can timestop be subjected to spell resistance. That seems like it would spice things up in the same way but not add a n elitist item to do so. It also seems more in keeping with the lore
So that casters and drows will all be immune to time-stop ? There are already counters and the way it currently is already make things spicy and interesting. It can be a formidable tool for many things, but it does not auto-win a fight.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Spell Resistance makes no sense for timestop. It's speeding the caster up massively, it's not affecting the targets at all. It's not a Time Stop, it's a You Become So Fast Everyone Else Looks Really Slow. For Nine Seconds, but that's not nearly as flashy of a name.

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:01 pm

What Time Adept said. Cerk too. The immunity to physical damage if over half health, was a huge bump in the right direction. Time Stop doesn't really need additional counters. It's a 9th level spell, and it's in a pretty good spot.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:22 am

If anything, I feel like Time Stop should be more powerful when cast at a higher level from an actual caster as opposed to a scroll.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:27 am

TimeAdept wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:54 pm
Spell Resistance makes no sense for timestop. It's speeding the caster up massively, it's not affecting the targets at all. It's not a Time Stop, it's a You Become So Fast Everyone Else Looks Really Slow. For Nine Seconds, but that's not nearly as flashy of a name.
Ultra Haste.

Or Time Warp. Implies that it hasn't been stopped, only manipulated.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:55 am

I can't believe people still freak out over time stop.

It's fine as it is.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 am

Actually, since in Arelith (and NWN) player rounds overlap the spell actually does stop time.

Else if two players cast Timestop at the exact same time, they both would be able to move. WYSIWYG.
And yes, the spell is fine now.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:50 am

I'm sory, been trying to refrain from commenting but I gotta say...

I LOVE the name 'Time Cloak.' I just really love it! No opinion on any of the mechanics, but that name is really cool!
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Nobs

Post by Nobs » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:06 pm

Where do i buy the anti crit cloak again?

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:46 pm

Nobs wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:06 pm
It's at the same vendor as the perma-truesight cloak and the cloak of -deaf, which makes you immune to all sonic damage and curse song.

I saw they removed the perma-haste boots last week. And added in the bracers of anti-Word of Faith, along with the helm of GSanc.

... Thank god this vendor doesn't exist. PvP can feel a little cheesy sometimes but I feel like the people who have learned how to cheese the hardest are not going to be deterred by mixing up the mechanics, putting in new immunity items or overhauling classes. The people who win at PvP do so not because they have discovered an exploit, but because they've built up an understanding of NWN mechanics far beyond what most normal people would learn. This is why we have rules on the server, instead of trying to fix everything with balance. If you're bad at PvP, it's because you either haven't learned yet or refuse to learn. Which, cheesy as it is, is still your responsibility.

Of course, it does go both ways. Arelith is not a PvP server. If your primary focus here is to PvP, get out.
CosmicOrderV wrote:

mourisson1

Post by mourisson1 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:29 am

Weirdly i use TimeStop a lot, and i would be inclined to just simply deleting this spell, because it feels op as hell. Honestly if i start hasted from hide with TS, your reaction wont be fast enough to pull out something, and when you get CCed in the Timestop, your only way to get rid of it is pray, which will be followed by another CC. So, either most of people i meet are very bad in PvP (as you said, they didnt learn enough to defend against that simple spell), or the spell is still way too strong. Physical dmg nerf was nice but why the hell would my wizard for instance care about physical DMG when i can lock you down while you can watch your screen sadly for 9 sec timestopped?

Where you are wrong is that you believe its balanced because there is a way how to play against it. But if the play against it requires nice reflexes and knowledge of mechanics, pulling stuff in just the right time, and all it requires form me is simply push a button, its still OP even if there are ways against it.
Lothias Mour'rek - Gone. Or is he?
Locika Querrestalo - For holy light

Cagus

Post by Cagus » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:15 pm

Well,
if you feel, that losing whole item slot for item against ONE spell out of more than 400 is 'a must' for everyone (and that strong) just supports the argument, that there is something wrong about the spell.

A bit of irrelevant off topic:
Nobs wrote:

If you want to make a parallel with that cloak, you should ask:
Where do i buy the anti crit FROM ONLY WEAPON SICKLE cloak again?
Because one spell is not one complete style of dealing damage.

2Riep:Same goes for the rest of "examples". Also if you start talking about vendor, you should read first post again.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:03 pm

Cagus wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:15 pm
Well,
if you feel, that losing whole item slot for item against ONE spell out of more than 400 is 'a must' for everyone (and that strong) just supports the argument, that there is something wrong about the spell.
It's because your proposed cloak wouldn't be a nerf to the spell, it'd be a buff. Instead of one person being able to act, you could have a whole team able to act during the timestop, who can then chain their timestops together meaning that if the opposing side does not also have the cloaks they lose by default.

Alantar
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Alantar » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:45 pm

In my humble opinion, Time Stop is good as it is. It's a very good spell, but not better than others (WoF, for example, or Mord).

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Cagus wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:15 pm
Well,

A bit of irrelevant off topic:
Nobs wrote:

If you want to make a parallel with that cloak, you should ask:
Where do i buy the anti crit FROM ONLY WEAPON SICKLE cloak again?
Because one spell is not one complete style of dealing damage.

2Riep:Same goes for the rest of "examples". Also if you start talking about vendor, you should read first post again.
I'm going to politely and respectfully suggest that you've missed the point, and that you should read the comments to the thread again.
Nitro wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:03 pm
words
This man gets it.
CosmicOrderV wrote:

The Greater Good

Post by The Greater Good » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:23 pm

Yeah unless wearing it also stops you from casting it (which still opens up team use), it's a buff with any more than one person on your side. PvE, too! Every person you grind with that has one makes future grinding for more of them easier. Imagine a couple WMs able to drop in on tinestopped Abazuur.
Monte Cook wrote:The idea here is that the game just gives the rules, and players figure out the ins and outs for themselves -- players are rewarded for achieving mastery of the rules and making good choices rather than poor ones.

mourisson1

Post by mourisson1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:40 pm

The Greater Good wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:23 pm
Imagine a couple WMs able to drop in on tinestopped Abazuur.
Those do 0 physical dmg, read the changes sweetie.
Lothias Mour'rek - Gone. Or is he?
Locika Querrestalo - For holy light

The Greater Good

Post by The Greater Good » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:52 pm

Dropping it to 50% with no counter isn't nothing, but sub out for your favorite non-physical damage dealer if you insist on this line, Craig.
Monte Cook wrote:The idea here is that the game just gives the rules, and players figure out the ins and outs for themselves -- players are rewarded for achieving mastery of the rules and making good choices rather than poor ones.