Server transfer - warning

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

mourisson1

Server transfer - warning

Post by mourisson1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:37 am

Hello there,
From the view of someone who is exploring the server, doesnt know the transitions as well, the server transfers are terrible, and often mood-breaking, when met. For example a ranger with 2 beasts is exploring, and suddenly he walks into server transition. When he comes back his beasts are away, most likely the companion as well, and since this messes up with feat cooldown, he is forces to rest. With druid it is the same (and on levels when you can have only 1 summon spell on the max circle) and it really forces you to rest, and if you have your rest on high lvls, it kind of breaks the mood. I can see a very simple solution, an OOC system message in the chatbox, when someone comes near the server transition, or a small hint in a dialogue that would get you to other server.
Lothias Mour'rek - Gone. Or is he?
Locika Querrestalo - For holy light

Mr_Rieper

Re: Server transfer - warning

Post by Mr_Rieper » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:30 am

I agree it is jarring, especially for a new player. It's odd to have to RP that you've just lost all of your magical wards and summons. There are times where even as an experienced player, I still step on area transitions then internally sighed that it was actually a server transition and now transferring me to another server.

However, there are reasons for it. It would be a lot of work and potentially buggy for the other server to reapply all of your magical effects. On the plus side, you have all of your casts refreshed without needing to rest. You can also step back through the transition and get all of your wards back. Unfortunately feat summons are a different story but I believe those are on a cooldown anyhow. And of course, sometimes things simply just break. It happens.

How would the message detect if you were a new player that didn't know where the transitions were? The message spam would get irritating once you already knew where they were. So even an OOC message isn't a simple enough solution, because it would be useful for a very small minority of players and spam for the rest.

It's an uncomfortable thing that you eventually get used to. Unfortunately trying to reduce the discomfort will only create other problems elsewhere. The server transitions are not changed often and are only changed by necessity, so it will be something you will get used to very quickly.

OOC warnings would be nice, but the devs would have to allow for an option to turn it off. They'll also have to place a trigger for it outside of every server transition that warns players with the message, then move those triggers every time they have to move the server transitions as well, while updating things. It's a lot of work for something that you'll have figured out in a few months time.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

mourisson1

Post by mourisson1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:09 am

Honestly with the amount of messages you are getting (Simple exp gain is what...5 lines in system chat?) i dont think one simple line in the system chat when you get to the transition is really a spam (Simple as: //OOC: You are approaching a server transfer).

I agree it is some work to do, but it seems to me like quite a big improve to QoL, but i suppose that is not for us to decide :)
Lothias Mour'rek - Gone. Or is he?
Locika Querrestalo - For holy light

Bibliophile

Post by Bibliophile » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:16 pm

Out of curiosity could the transition on the ground of a server transition be a different color than the rest? I think they all currently light as blue now. Could those going to another server light as red to give a warning?

Cagus

Post by Cagus » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:10 pm

Well,
this is something, which is bothering me from the first moment I started to play here.

If the message in log is not enough, I would put the placeable, like some small non-intrusive, but visible circle on ground in front of the 'doors' of transition. With RP notion (maybe in the log) that you feel this strange anti-magic / anti-summon aura in front of you, so be aware.

This problem mostly affects new players and players who are exploring, but even after years you can find transition you have not encountered yet. And it is really annoying to play/explain IC this pure OOC issue.

Just warning would be helping a lot.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:57 am

Cagus wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:10 pm
Well,
this is something, which is bothering me from the first moment I started to play here.

If the message in log is not enough, I would put the placeable, like some small non-intrusive, but visible circle on ground in front of the 'doors' of transition. With RP notion (maybe in the log) that you feel this strange anti-magic / anti-summon aura in front of you, so be aware.

This problem mostly affects new players and players who are exploring, but even after years you can find transition you have not encountered yet. And it is really annoying to play/explain IC this pure OOC issue.

Just warning would be helping a lot.
Sounds like a good project for someone's character to take up.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Taerl

Post by Taerl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Someone once placed signs on the Cordor side saying something along the lines of..... Warning wayline change ahead, or something similar. Of course those are long gone.

The Kriv

Post by The Kriv » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:49 pm

I don't think that it takes very long once you learn your way around to figure out where the server-lines are. It's not like there's a crap-ton like in the old days. Now that they've been consolidated to the farmlands/frontier, it's made it WAAAAAY easier to figure out.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen