Castle Gloom - Ruins of Wharftown.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Reallylongunneededplayername

Castle Gloom - Ruins of Wharftown.

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Go at me if you disagree;

But due to FoiG information, Castle gloom would most likely met a hundred powderkegs by now.
The Castle is highly questionable, And it's location adds to that.

Ruins of Wharftown; Even though many attempted revival it remained a ruined town with some wharftown boys walking around there.

What I would add/do differently:

-Make castle gloom an evil owned guildhouse. It makes more sense that a cult of necromancers live there than like in the past the elves of Myon/Frostblades

-Make Wharftown a fort like Darrowdeep. (Call it seaside castle, With it's own boat)
(>^.^)>) * * * *<(^.^<) <-Magic missles and shield spell.

JubJub

Re: Castle Gloom - Ruins of Wharftown.

Post by JubJub » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 pm

From my understanding Castle Gloom was originally seen as something Cordor and Wharftown would try to control. But things IG happened and Wharftown was gone by the time Darrowdeep and Gloom were finished. With Wharftown gone Castle Gloom sort of lost its purpose.

Evil has enough guildhouses already, something like Darrowdeep or Gloom shouldn't ever be default good or evil. Wharftown is never coming back, which I like. The ruins serve as a reminder that if things get to the point that Wharftown got to, that there can be IG permanent consequences.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:32 pm

I really don't like the idea of "evil only" or "good only" areas at all, honestly. Not that I'd encourage more "good vs. evil" conflict PvP (in fact, people rely on PvP too much, in my own opinion), but I do think the "this area is for good guys only" or "this area is for evil guys only" mentality leads to stagnation. If the Banite church in Minmir, or the Radiant Heart temple in the same, are vacant and unused, why shouldn't some faction of another alignment take over? Changes like that could change the feeling of the area dramatically without much in the way of dev work.

That said, with the destruction of Wharftown, perhaps there's no need for Castle Gloom anymore, and it falls into rot and ruin to be taken over by brigands or bullywugs, or maybe just becomes a small local stopover, without any major faction taking interest. Then, a new castle could be put up between existing settlements elsewhere. Maybe someone puts up a castle somewhere in the Skull Crags, or in Arelith Forest.

What I'd really like to see, whether this is a strictly dev-driven thing, or something player-driven (preferably the latter, but the former is fine too), would be some gradual changes in what's desolate and what's not. The ogre ruins in Arelith Forest could be rebuilt, the goblin castle could be reconquered and the goblins forced to relocate to a convenient area of new ruins. Maybe they take over the Knights of the Road's keep temporarily, before being forced back into the Bramble Woods to make a little goblin junk town where the Bramble rangers stuff is now.

I know that's all kind of off topic.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:47 pm

JubJub wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:58 pm
From my understanding Castle Gloom was originally seen as something Cordor and Wharftown would try to control. But things IG happened and Wharftown was gone by the time Darrowdeep and Gloom were finished. With Wharftown gone Castle Gloom sort of lost its purpose.

Evil has enough guildhouses already, something like Darrowdeep or Gloom shouldn't ever be default good or evil. Wharftown is never coming back, which I like. The ruins serve as a reminder that if things get to the point that Wharftown got to, that there can be IG permanent consequences.
We already have those IC reminders of permanent consequences in Kholingen and Stonehold's ruins.

If anything, wharftown's ruins reminds us only of what happens if people dare to play evil openly on the surface of the server and manage to turn a settlement into the de-facto evil town without an NPC faction backing them.

Cordor has only ever been utterly invulnerable to IG consequences because its always been a starter city, and has far and away the thickest DM-ex-machina plot armor as a result, complete with its own army, and nation state(Amn) to big brother for it.

Wharftown, in its heyday, had a player population to rival cordor. At times, it was more populated even. If the devs had grown wharftown into the large town it should have become(with millions in PC gold flowing into it and large PC population), and built it into the city-state to rival to cordor it actually was demographically on the PC side, It would have had its own NPC army, and the narrative of fishing village vs city state would have been kaput.

We can only now dream of what might have been.

Wharftown filled a needed niche on the server. A settlement that catered to openly evil non-banite, non-pirate concepts, that could exile the smitey-est of paladins so that it could support lowbies, as well as being around a lot of mid and low level content, and, critically, was not in the underdark. Not only is the underdark not suited for every evil concept, but the entire surface should not be effectively scrubbed clean of evil politically in every settlement except for a handful of non-settlements, which is the case now.

The closest replacement to wharftown is Sibiyad, which is pointless to be in before lvl 16, and isn't even on the island. Its close to nothing, and exists almost solely as a collection of shops one visits on the way to and from the orclands. It has no ships, no government, and a convenient two way portal that historically has been used by militant good groups to patrol the town to kill the scum and villainy that should be thriving in the only surface town to allow slavery and have a seedy feel.

The next closest thing to a bastion settlement of evil on the surface is Brog, which famously celebrated slaughtering pirate families (men, women, and children) before piling their skulls in a raid in the not so distant past. An event that reminds one of the crusader siege of Acre, but brog isn't suitable for evil PCs unless you're playing a dwarf or gnome.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:34 pm

Not to derail the topic but Wharftown went way past an openly evil settlement, with UD races walking freely in it, even having a hand in running it and rp like sending barrels of severed heads to cordor. Wharftown wasn't ruined for being evil, but evil rp getting way out of control.

The purpose of Castle Gloom should get looked at, but there should never be anything saying it has to be good or evil.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:56 pm

Durvayas wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:47 pm
The same point, needing to be repeated over and over, Durv. Wharftown was destroyed because it became a proxy-Underdark settlement, which anybody would want to wipe off the map in an instant. It was destroyed because it started fights that realistically it never really had any chance of winning. The people who took over Wharftown forgot they were playing on Arelith. That is why.

Do we really need to go over this in every thread?
Irongron wrote: I can only imagine what the veteran community of paladins players are thinking while reading this thread.

Since I very started developing for Arelith the main criticism I have faced is only ever really catering to evil characters. Indeed, until the relatively recent addition of the Order of the Radiant Heart we had done nothing for them, at least for over 5 years since adding in a small Harper Enclave (And I don't personally consider Harpers all that 'good')

While at the same time...

Adding in various pirate ships.
Making Sencliff
Making a vast Underdark City
Assassin Guild & the Shadow Plane
Removing Kill Scripts
Vastly limiting exile. (The impact of this and the one above on enabling evil RP can't be emphasised enough)
Completing a large expansion to the Banite Temple
Adding in a half-orc camp (though far from exclusively evil)
Adding Baator, Zhurkwood Grove

And of course Skaljard, where once again I put evil in a central role.

Time and again I heard the very revese of what is being suggested on this thread; that 'Good' on Arelith has nowhere to go. Even the Radiant Heart addition itself was because I wanted to remove the Triad from Cordor, and put a neutral faith in its place.

I have zero intention of making an 'evil' city, any more than I have intention of adding a 'good' one. From a design perspective I would prefer to have fewer settlements, much rathering seeing two large cities of mixed creeds and competing ideologies than a plethora of smaller empty towns.

And to recap, once again, what happened in the Underdark. Before Andunor it reached the point where there were MORE settlements than player online. I understand everyone wants their own private idaho, but I stongly consider that approach to an anathema to a healthy server.

As for this debate about whether players are 'allowed' to found settlements. Most settlements on Arelith were founded this way, but as the creative behind making Arelith I will absolutely always reserve the right for such choices to ultimately be my own. I have no wish to work to order, and I don't think everyone here is fully aware of how much work this takes. Andunor was, by any reasonable calulcation at least 3 months FULL TIME work to complete. Even the Earthkin Village revamp was close to a month.

Neither have I any intention of accepting area contributions on this scale from the player base. I take the quality control of Arelith extremely seriously, not just in regard to the areas themselves, but also the overriding themes and style of the setting. If something new on this scale were to be made, then I would be the one making it.
MoreThanThree wrote: The Orc Camp happened because Irongron wanted it to--he wanted a half-orc "area" for a while, and Mudagog gave him the excuse he needed. DMs and devs alike will strongly discourage you from constructing your own settlement and giving them work.
Both these points are half true. Firstly, yes, I did for a long time feel a half-orc camp would be worthwhile, but if I really wanted to add it I would not have needed an 'excuse' to do so. I liked the idea, sure, as I like many ideas, and felt able to realistically pursue it, but it was most definitely player actions that were the catalyst for my work there, while the very fact the idea had been floating around in my head for so long was due to player actions and feedback (especially having observed some inspiring RP from a few key half-orcs over recent years). Secondly, players are free to contruct their own mini settlements, if they choose to, but it is a simple reality that if this is too ambitious or adverse to the setting itself then it is often not realistic to expect developer to be able to realise it quickly enough for those conducting the RP to make use of it (3 months is a reasonable estimate for a small settlement by which time many will have moved onto new characters and concepts)

And...I am not remotely convinced that after what promises to be a ton of work, I won't then be required to delete it again due to player actions. There is no doubt in my mind that if an evil 'city' was made on Arelith, this would be taken as a greenlight to players to resume all out, interminable war with every other settlement out there, repeating exactly what we saw with Wharftown but on an even larger scale. Such an addition would cement the idea in the minds of many players that Arelith was first and foremost a PVP server focused on two competing teams (good vs evil). DMs would have a flood of reports to deal with, and ultimately, like both Benwick and Wharftown a final resolution would be called for.

I've said many times I dislike this binary approach, and feel that people very often forget that D&D has Law & Chaos also (which I would find far more interesting as a basis for defining the theme of competing settlements)

How would an evil settlement work? There is very little common ground between Lawful and Chaotic evil faiths, and many that are evil don't immediately don their skull masks and consider themselves such.

There has been a fair amount of work done towards making more of the Blood War on Arelith, but it is one among a great many projects.

I'm also several months into the addition a second large city to Arelith, because I came to feel that many players were right in saying that Cordor required something to balance its obvious stranglehold on political might.

I prefer alignment based guilds and organisations on the surface to be OUTSIDE settlements, which should be open and enjoyable to everyone, and over the years have done much to ensure the most impressive strongholds are outside those borders.

Two final points then, before I finally withdraw from this thread and give what I consider a final summary of what I consider the essence of this problem.

First off, Wharftown. This fell, largely, because the players there were determined to be in constant war in Cordor, with many entirely refusing to accept the reality of the setting; Cordor is a City State, Wharftown a small village. PvP attacks on characters, often new to the server and merely walking to the nearest town were commonplace, as were the reports we had to deal with. I decided that for Edward Cordor and the powers of Cordor enough was enough. A decree was made that their leader must be brought to justice or the town would face the consequences.

It was my hope that this would foster some roleplay, I made extensive posts on the DM forums of all the ways I felt that the players of Wharftown could avoid Cordor's wrath. The decree was invitation to do something with this story beyond pointless PVP, and the response? Well aside from a few wonderful players what happened was this - The antagonists largely stopped logging in, and the forums and my PM box were inundated with endless walls of texts about how unfair this all was, and that Cordor should not have that kind of power.

At the end of the final event the server was restarted and Wharftown was in ruins. Sadly I wasn't there for the event itself. Why? Because I was in the toolset making the ruins as the events unfolded, because right until the very last moment I was hoping the bombardment of the city would be averted by the actions of the players.

Ultimately Arelith is not here to be 'fair' for either side in this struggle. When we roleplay we do so within the confines of the setting, and that should be part of the fun. The notion that we have an obligation to create a sandbox of absolute balance is simply not the case, and is not the server I wish to be working on. When you play on the isle of Arelith, Cordor (and to some extent Brogendenstein) IS THE POWER. That's the story of Arelith (thus far) and on a roleplay server you are all expected to recognise that fact rather than willfully ignoring it.

Second of my final two points is this repeated line of 'We're left with only the Underdark!'

That's a pretty bold use of the word 'only'.

The Arelith Underdark is huge, and one of the major draws to the server. A huge city and region that matches the surface in terms of scale is, I suspect, unrivalled in the world of NWN servers when it comes to giving traction to evil roleplay. I get that players want to feel the sun on their back and not be limited to living with monsters in an underground hole, but as my grandparents would say 'You have a lot more than we ever did...' (When I started on Arelith there was NOTHING for evil players, Underdark was less than 6 areas I think - and the only settlement was entirely closed off to non-drow, while on the surface Cordor was dominated by the church of Torm, Wharftown was founded and run by a paladin and there wasn't even a Guldorand)

When it comes to merchants, housing, crafting stations in neutral territory outside of the control of good aligned factions and powers I think Arelith has more than enough. I don't feel evil lacks (or needs) a settlement.

I think the problem is that villains simply don't have an 'outside the Nomad' or 'Arcane Tower' area, a place guaranteed of traffic, where they can just hang out, meet and interact without being moved on, imprisoned, exiled, enslaved or facing demands to repeatedly bow to passing drow matrons (THIS, above everything is what Wharftown offered). Sure there might be places like Sencliff or the Crow's Nest where their 'evil' is generally okay, but that's often only enjoyable if your idea of fun is standing on your own emoting at an NPC. As I said above; for much of the last 6 months I've been working on a second large city for Arelith (again with a neutrally aligned temple), but this will only help if players find a way to start accommodating differing alignments within a single city (which I would love to see happen to the extent I'm half inclined to start putting evil temples in some of them)

I'm also really concerned by this increasing tendency to use lame meta methods to out them. Glowing eyes, hide in plain sight, are NOT ground to insist someone is evil, in a world of endless wonder and magic there can be any number of reasons why this could happen. the world itself is not limited by the class restrictions and abilities of NWN or 3e D&D player rules.

As I've stated a few times here already I am currently engaged with a NWN project outside of Arelith, so area development promises to be slow for some time yet. I make no apologies for that; the pace of development over the last few years has been rapid, with me pulling in 40 hour weeks on creating content, but it is something I will always do for fun, and nothing is more certain to put me off doing it than a feeling that the community feels entitled to my time.

That being said I've read and considered the points made here, and I expect they will be gestating in my head for much of 2019 as I formulate a strategy for the next stages of Arelith development.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:57 am

The idea of adding a ship to the Register bidding system is an appealing thought. I always felt the Wharftown Lighthouse would make an excellent independent guild house for a group of either alignment.

Vrass

Post by Vrass » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Evil still needs a place on the surface. Warftown died not because it was evil but because it was evil and located on the main island. If we put the evil hub in an area not connected to the main island it is likely nobody will care what goes on there. Sibayad and the desert areas would be optimal as even now nobody really cares what goes on there as long as what happens there stays there. UD races are often seen in the area and i dont hear anyone calling for a crusade against Sibayad so trying to say it was UD that destroyed Warftown is a blatant lie. Put an evil only town on Distant Shores and nobody is going to care on the main island. Both sides win.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Why do people keep calling for an "evil only" town. What "good only" town exists now that justifies "evil only" towns? The good towns happen to be good because of who is currently running them and what their current populace is. There's no town that's mandatory good. Why should there be one that's mandatory evil?

Cerk Evermoore

Post by Cerk Evermoore » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:09 pm

Wharftown died because the leadership of the city let UDers secretly into the city, some even in administrative roles. They quit the game when word got out the town was ordered to be destroyed. Afterwards those same UDers who didn't quit with everyone else were left in high positions in Wharftown and made conscious efforts to undermine the peace process because the destruction of the city aligned with their interests.

People say Wharftown was terrible, but it was one of the only times on the server that it felt like my RP actually made a difference and for that I remember it fondly.

Mr_Rieper

Post by Mr_Rieper » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:22 pm

Subutai wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:09 pm
Why do people keep calling for an "evil only" town. What "good only" town exists now that justifies "evil only" towns? The good towns happen to be good because of who is currently running them and what their current populace is. There's no town that's mandatory good. Why should there be one that's mandatory evil?
Because of entitlement. The players of good aligned characters complain on the forums about things not making sense. The players of evil characters complain that they aren't having enough fun or things are unfair. People want to have their cake and eat it too, most of the time. Got exiled from every single settlement, even when the number of people a settlement can exile is now extremely limited? That's pretty much what happens when you RP as the most dangerous or threatening person on the Isle at that point in time. Try RPing as the 10th most dangerous or threatening instead, and seeing what happens. Don't know how to RP those tense hostile moments without resorting to PvP? Oh well.

The problem of people not RPing things and instead demanding the community fix them isn't reserved to just the evil characters, but their voices are a lot more noticeable it seems.

Having an evil settlement isn't going to fix anything. That same entitlement doesn't build or manage anything effectively. When you repeatedly break the toys in your toybox and go raid somebody else for theirs, you're going to get your toybox taken away from you. That is the opposite of unfair.
CosmicOrderV wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Be the change you want to see, and shape the server because of it. Players can absolutely help keep their fellow players accountable.

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:13 am

Evil settlements are unneeded, there is Sencliff and the UD.

My feedback is around castle gloom and how little sense it makes as a settlement node due to its questionable nature, How gloom could still be of use and how keep at Wharftowns location would fill up a void.

As for good vs evil;

Good on Arelith has a horrible reputation of sticking togetter or working togetter.

Often due to their different views on what is just and right.

Evil on Arelith suffers greatly cause it has to be on their toes all the time, And basicly come of as neutral or for the sake of secrecy, good.

And when you do slip up, most go to sencliff or UD.

If we needed any form of settlement, It would be a neutral one with no Pc leadership yet where PvP is highly discouraged. (NPC TS doom archers shooting folk who engage in attacks or something?)

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:20 am

Reallylongunneededplayername wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:13 am
If we needed any form of settlement, It would be a neutral one with no Pc leadership yet where PvP is highly discouraged. (NPC TS doom archers shooting folk who engage in attacks or something?)
sounds like sibayad tbh, could just do with a few more guards and maybe a fluff-up to be a viable RP base

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:24 am

Kuma wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:20 am
sounds like sibayad tbh, could just do with a few more guards and maybe a fluff-up to be a viable RP base
Yeah, That place came to mind too.

Edit: I honestly cant get that towns name in my memory.

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:34 am

There are a ton of quarters in Sibayad, then two guildhouses just outside of it. I think there's plenty of resources available to us we just gotta use them.
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Post by Reallylongunneededplayername » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:46 am

Royal Blood wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:34 am
There are a ton of quarters in Sibayad, then two guildhouses just outside of it. I think there's plenty of resources available to us we just gotta use them.
Huh?

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 am

this is more about Gloom itself

can the shop be put outside the gates, and the NPCs beefed up and made to actually go back to where they're meant to? their door opening thing seems tied to the CLOSEST door, which frequently means that if the inner one is lured over by spawns then he'll only open the exterior gate, inexplicably.

also, enemies spawn INSIDE the doorway that then cannot be opened at all

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:43 pm

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:24 am
Kuma wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:20 am
Yeah, That place came to mind too.

Edit: I honestly cant get that towns name in my memory.
I was replying to some comments about Sibayad and evil settlements over all... The topic sorta derailed. Though for sure, as the comments above state, Gloom needs some word. When Myon owned it I posted a few suggestion threads, there's a lot of wonky things about it.
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Memelord

Post by Memelord » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:51 pm

Speaking as someone who has helped run Myon for the last several months: Castle Gloom is a trap. It's a waste of money and a waste of time. It's too far out of the way for any significant RP to take place there, and it largely lacks the amenities and accessibility that make Darrowdeep unique and desirable. I strongly agree that it should be either completely overhauled or else scrapped and replaced with another castle/guildhouse-on-lease that is more readily accessible and just... better designed overall.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:33 pm

Gloom being attached to the shadowplane makes it ideal for guildhouse for questionables and evil PCs, especially since it is out of the way.

Make it outcast purchasable, but still not openly accepting of monsters, and let andunor bid on it. It would make a fine trade post.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:01 pm

I can't remake or relocate Castle Gloom at this stage, but will make some changes to improve it.

What I've done:

- Added a second shop, and placed them outside the gates.
- Renamed the Swamps area so it is clear where one is portalling to.
- Beefed up the guards slightly, and hopefully prevents monsters spawning inside the walls (Can this be confirmed by players?)
- Added 2 more horses
- Placed some more worthwhile resources nearby

Are the henchmen there functioning? And are there any services the Castle could benefit from? As I said with the new city again taking up my development time I do not have resources to dedicate to an overhaul, but a few improvements here would definitely be worthwhile.

(It will not be added to the UD Brokerage)

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:22 pm

Irongron wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:01 pm
I can't remake or relocate Castle Gloom at this stage, but will make some changes to improve it.

What I've done:

- Added a second shop, and placed them outside the gates.
- Renamed the Swamps area so it is clear where one is portalling to.
- Beefed up the guards slightly, and hopefully prevents monsters spawning inside the walls (Can this be confirmed by players?)
- Added 2 more horses
- Placed some more worthwhile resources nearby

Are the henchmen there functioning? And are there any services the Castle could benefit from? As I said with the new city again taking up my development time I do not have resources to dedicate to an overhaul, but a few improvements here would definitely be worthwhile.

(It will not be added to the UD Brokerage)
(and something cool might be to make its 'shadow plane' side part of the castle and somewhere players can live/operate from as well)
🤡

thief of light

Post by thief of light » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi im touching gloom right now

Henchmen work! A+ the beefy boi is always being borrowed because hes impressively beefy.

The NPC on the other side of the Door will let anyone into the castle on the main side. Intentional? Idk but its a thing we account for.

What would 100% help this area is if there was a two way leyline outside. This is similiar to how darrowdeep has the arcane tower near by which has a two-way portal and is a major hub. The two way might help tired lowbies in the area go home and promote more congregation around it.

The reasources help a lot too! Ill check for surprise monsters when I get home.

Also I agree itd be cool if the other side of the castle was a teeny bit more secure. But for now fixing the spawns and changing the portal name will 110% be enough for us to wiggle around better. Thank you very much!!
DM Marduk: the -unrecommend button is !

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:12 pm

Fixing the spawns would be cool, yep. I don't see the lack of portals as being a problem. People won't visit Darrowdeep either by 'luck'. It's more of a Hub just because the faction is old. Also I would hardly say that the Arcane Tower such a hub atm.
If there's something to change, it's the position of the source inside the Castle. It's so annoying to go through that many transitions.

Volograd
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Volograd » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Memelord wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Speaking as someone who has helped run Myon for the last several months: Castle Gloom is a trap. It's a waste of money and a waste of time. It's too far out of the way for any significant RP to take place there, and it largely lacks the amenities and accessibility that make Darrowdeep unique and desirable. I strongly agree that it should be either completely overhauled or else scrapped and replaced with another castle/guildhouse-on-lease that is more readily accessible and just... better designed overall.
I disagree. The Azure Scroll recently moved in and while it’s certainly not the most uplifting of locations, there is tremendous potential for role play once established.

I especially like that the portal to the shadow plane is there. Makes sense that Azuth’s worshippers would want to keep an eye on such things.