Castle Gloom - Ruins of Wharftown.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Ecthelion

Re: Castle Gloom - Ruins of Wharftown.

Post by Ecthelion » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Volograd wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:17 pm
Memelord wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:51 pm
Speaking as someone who has helped run Myon for the last several months: Castle Gloom is a trap. It's a waste of money and a waste of time. It's too far out of the way for any significant RP to take place there, and it largely lacks the amenities and accessibility that make Darrowdeep unique and desirable. I strongly agree that it should be either completely overhauled or else scrapped and replaced with another castle/guildhouse-on-lease that is more readily accessible and just... better designed overall.
I disagree. The Azure Scroll recently moved in and while it’s certainly not the most uplifting of locations, there is tremendous potential for role play once established.

I especially like that the portal to the shadow plane is there. Makes sense that Azuth’s worshippers would want to keep an eye on such things.
I disagree too. Castle Gloom has a lot of potential as it is.

Gillesbreton

Post by Gillesbreton » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:00 pm

On the topic of buildings/areas in the middle of nowhere:

I think there should be a few more 'wilderness' quarters, as it stands there are only a hand-full, and these have not been added to for many years. It would be interesting to see perhaps:

- A tribal barbarian village with quarters specifically for barbarians. (Perhaps in the Skull Crags?)
- A generic church/temple (non-deity specific) in the wilderness, open to all with a back room for the priest/cleric. (Perhaps the lowland swamps?)
- There are also a number of abandoned buildings around, barracks by Stonehold, Waterwheel by the Ruins of Warftown, and the tower just outside the gate of Light Keep to name a few.
Duvain Yantul
Lani Thrul
Seliena Var’kor
Indori Nevarr
Sago Teas

User: ShaleStone - pre-EE.
Played on Arelith since split with Amia.

Chair

Post by Chair » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:35 pm

I said it before, I'll say it again. If your playing in a settlement where PCs are not the final authority, there is no possibility for radical changes or shifts in direction. As no matter what you do, if your decisions are against what the DMs/Admins feel that the Settlement should be, you will be ousted and all your work removed mechanically by sudden appearing Macguffin. While having no ability to refute or counter it beyond taking your entire organization and moving somewhere else. Really, it disincentives any roleplay beyond keeping a vague and murky status quo atmosphere that stagnates and goes on life support, kept alive by infrequent infusions of DM event storylines. Which, once concluded return quickly to the previous state.

So, if you want to do something that goes against this status quo mentality. Like making an evil base'o'operations or etc up top that isn't faction shaded, or even setting up a forward operating base in the UD for a knightly order like the Last Bastion. Just set up shop somewhere outside of the settlement system, or any mechanical system where you are not the final authority. You'll still likely be harassed if people feel that its out of place or that it shouldn't be there, but they wont have any power to remove you except through physical force. Which can be minimized in scope if it has no PC backing behind it. Just make sure to keep these things in mind, if you ever decide to set about trying to do something that is counter to what is felt should be the state of matters.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Chair wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:35 pm
I said it before, I'll say it again. If your playing in a settlement where PCs are not the final authority, there is no possibility for radical changes or shifts in direction. As no matter what you do, if your decisions are against what the DMs/Admins feel that the Settlement should be, you will be ousted and all your work removed mechanically by sudden appearing Macguffin. While having no ability to refute or counter it beyond taking your entire organization and moving somewhere else. Really, it disincentives any roleplay beyond keeping a vague and murky status quo atmosphere that stagnates and goes on life support, kept alive by infrequent infusions of DM event storylines. Which, once concluded return quickly to the previous state.

So, if you want to do something that goes against this status quo mentality. Like making an evil base'o'operations or etc up top that isn't faction shaded, or even setting up a forward operating base in the UD for a knightly order like the Last Bastion. Just set up shop somewhere outside of the settlement system, or any mechanical system where you are not the final authority. You'll still likely be harassed if people feel that its out of place or that it shouldn't be there, but they wont have any power to remove you except through physical force. Which can be minimized in scope if it has no PC backing behind it. Just make sure to keep these things in mind, if you ever decide to set about trying to do something that is counter to what is felt should be the state of matters.
Seems a bit over dramatic. How about some examples like people in power who have been removed by a dm? I mean rules are clear, things like UDers should not feel comfortable on the surface or be openly wandering about surface towns etc.. Rules like this are in place for a reason, it's why kill scripts were put in place for a time because people were getting carried away with things. Seriously at the first sign of a goblin base being set up on the surface or a elven outpost in the UD, why would those above or below ignore that and accept it?

O-H41

Post by O-H41 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:48 pm

JubJub wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:24 pm
Seems a bit over dramatic. How about some examples like people in power who have been removed by a dm?
I can't believe you asked this. Does getting banned the day you win the election count? Of the people in the last year and a bit who i know were banned, at least five of them were in positions of power in settlements and quasi-settlements with dedicated locations but no voting access. They were told they're "not good for the community". I'm not going to name names though.
Lilah Lannald: Is it cheese?
Corbin: Its---yes.
Corbin: Its cheese.

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:28 am

JubJub wrote:
Chair wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:35 pm

Seems a bit over dramatic. How about some examples like people in power who have been removed by a dm? I mean rules are clear, things like UDers should not feel comfortable on the surface or be openly wandering about surface towns etc.. Rules like this are in place for a reason, it's why kill scripts were put in place for a time because people were getting carried away with things. Seriously at the first sign of a goblin base being set up on the surface or a elven outpost in the UD, why would those above or below ignore that and accept it?
They could remove it through RP rather than through Macguffin.

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:35 pm

O-H41 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:48 pm
JubJub wrote:
Seems a bit over dramatic. How about some examples like people in power who have been removed by a dm?
I can't believe you asked this. Does getting banned the day you win the election count? Of the people in the last year and a bit who i know were banned, at least five of them were in positions of power in settlements and quasi-settlements with dedicated locations but no voting access. They were told they're "not good for the community". I'm not going to name names though.
So you're saying they were banned from the server just because they were in positions of power and a dm didn't like them or their quasi settlement and no other reasons?

O-H41

Post by O-H41 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:07 pm

JubJub wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:35 pm
O-H41 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:48 pm
JubJub wrote:
So you're saying they were banned from the server just because they were in positions of power and a dm didn't like them or their quasi settlement and no other reasons?
Dude. Chair's point stands. Irongron just said in another thread that he temporarily removed the ability to vassal Andunor settlements. If a group is planning to exploit the vulnerability of a new settlement, he's not going to let it happen. I'm not sure why you're arguing it. I'm not even sure why I'm posting anymore. It's pretty clear right!
Lilah Lannald: Is it cheese?
Corbin: Its---yes.
Corbin: Its cheese.

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Post by MalKalz » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:15 pm

And shutting this down.

I suggest you both stop spreading rumors as to why people got banned. Because it was not that they were running a settlement against the vision of the DM Team or Admin team. There were other issues which I will not get into that lead to their removal. But, that is between us and those players and I will not share further information in respect of them.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.