Castles Accessibility

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Castles Accessibility

Post by Kuma » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:32 am

Could we make Castles Darrowdeep & Gloom accessible to those with a key to the interior guildhouse, in addition to those that are citizens of the owning settlement? This puts it more in line with the other auction spots like the Dreadnought and Outpost (though not the mines/farms). Having to be a citizen of a settlement to get access to a faction that you would otherwise join (one associated with the castle in question) neuters RP, I feel.

edit: failing that, let me get in by charming the npcs

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Royal Blood

Re: Castles Accessibility

Post by Royal Blood » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:12 am

I raised some similar prospects awhile ago when Myon had Castle Gloom… I think they are willing to look into it? Because like even Nobles of the castles cannot use them without having citizenship. Just sorta waiting for a Dev to see to it I guess. It's hard for sure when only the settlement has access. I think the concern was that by making outside citizenship access the castles wouldn't change hands? But I disagree with that personally.

Either way I totally agree some none citizenship access rights would be amazing. I'd say nobles appointed in the castle ought to be able to use it. ((There is a system where the 'owner' of the castle can appoint mechanical nobles))
I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:16 pm

The entire situation with castles is a bit weird because;

Everyone who has citizenship can have access to the main floor of the castle which basically defeats the purposes of all of the free storage space they have. You will want to store nothing in those areas and you are not encouraged to turn them into roleplay spaces because it'll be very easy for enemies of the state and other figures to steal / spy.

I think castles & other like structures should be set up like this;

Courtyard is open to citizens for refuge as an extension of settlement.

Interior is open only to those with keys. Keys work also on the front gate for non-citizens / people who actually administer the castle.

Castle (guildhall) can only be owned by someone of settlement who is either noble/epic rep or ennobled by settlement.

Castle owner can police quarters inside and connected to castle like sub-quarters

Castle NPCs can only be controlled by castle owner and those associated with his faction set to guildhall.

---

You can't really share them with people outside of your settlement which is problematic because they can change hands which makes things kind of awkward if they do. Essentially 'anyone' can get inside of them and settlements that control them don't have an real ability to vet or control who has them beyond the normal settlement powers.

Making them more autonomous and also slightly more restrictive allows them to be actual bastions for subsettlement RP and guild stuff.
🤡

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:05 pm

Agreed with most of above, multiple castle faction leaders have expressed issues with those not being able to be set-up for factions. Don't do the Noble/Epic Reputation thing for the ownership, though, as said Lord/Ladies of the Keep may wish to pass ownership for RL reasons from times to times.
Also Epic Reputation probably has an issue linked to the beast fight but well.

Red Ropes

Post by Red Ropes » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 pm

Ecthelion wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:05 pm
Agreed with most of above, multiple castle faction leaders have expressed issues with those not being able to be set-up for factions. Don't do the Noble/Epic Reputation thing for the ownership, though, as said Lord/Ladies of the Keep may wish to pass ownership for RL reasons from times to times.
Nobility is already how it works - someone who is put in charge of the castle is 'ennobled'. Strangely, however, all nobles I believe as long as they are citizens can just command the castle NPCs. LOL - anyone who has epic reputation, I believe, also has this power.

It already is how that works.
🤡

CosmicOrderV
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by CosmicOrderV » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:14 pm

These all seem like great ideas! I may be way off base here, but I think Silver Palm was removed as a feat, and is one of the feats granted by taking the noble reward? If that's the case, it might be a better check than epic reputation. Only rewards and settlement appointees, at that point. No need to worry about a silly belt.
Aodh Lazuli wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:22 pm
I, too, struggle to know what is written in books without first reading them.

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:35 am

Red Ropes wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:07 pm
Ecthelion wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:05 pm
Nobility is already how it works - someone who is put in charge of the castle is 'ennobled'. Strangely, however, all nobles I believe as long as they are citizens can just command the castle NPCs. LOL - anyone who has epic reputation, I believe, also has this power.

It already is how that works.
Not exactly. I mean yes, the person in charge is "ennobled", but it does not gate ownership of the guildhouse (the lease inside), that one anybody can purchase. Though I think the settkement in charge rules over the lease. Worst case can exile.
For NPCs, there are some in the main hub of the castles for all citizens of the settlements having Epic Rep/Nobles perks yes, and so others inside the guildhouse for everyone that has access.

Revelations

Post by Revelations » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Red Ropes wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:16 pm

I think castles & other like structures should be set up like this;

Courtyard is open to citizens for refuge as an extension of settlement.

Interior is open only to those with keys. Keys work also on the front gate for non-citizens / people who actually administer the castle.

Castle (guildhall) can only be owned by someone of settlement who is either noble/epic rep or ennobled by settlement.

Castle owner can police quarters inside and connected to castle like sub-quarters

Castle NPCs can only be controlled by castle owner and those associated with his faction set to guildhall.

This seems better.
Be faithful in the face of death
And I will give you the crown of life