Skal. Boats. The Freeze.

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Skald Haldi
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Skal. Boats. The Freeze.

Post by Skald Haldi » Fri May 24, 2019 11:50 am

I love Skal. I'm a big fan of the separation from the mainland except for two problems:

1) When you are in Skal, leaving is a hard decision. Suppose you find out about some festival on the big island and you want to go. Too bad, unless you can arrange some way to get back. Yes, there are summoners... but they are usually doing it out of the goodness of their heart and as a player, I hate to impose on them.

Proposed solution: If you aren't going to make it easier, make it even HARDER to get to Skal. No summons. No boats. Encourage players to leave after a certain level by disallowing quarter/shop ownership. Maybe even stop experience gain past a certain level. As DMs you need to make it clear what you want. Right now, it's a sandbox with strange rules.

2) Difficult communication. Anywhere else, if you want to find somebody, you send a speedy and they come find you. In Skal, you have to hang around town hoping that they come back from whatever quest they are on. Unless you send them an OOC tell. As result, I'm guessing tells are a lot more common on Skal than elsewhere, breaking the immersion.

Proposed solution: Add a speedy. If necessary, limit it so it can only reach other players on Skal. Alternately, my next character concept is an epic illusionist who will send messages for a fee...

>>>

Also - the UnderSkal idea is really neat, but it will require finesse. Skal is already pretty weird.

Played: Peruruo Longbean, Spring Cobb, Purple (disguised), Ke Rilyn'ervs, Tern Cooper
Playing: Az'alva Sh'yalva

Seven Sons of Sin

Re: Skal. Boats. The Freeze.

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri May 24, 2019 2:28 pm

irongron spitting real truths here.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil