Moon blades and other weapons that come runic

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Babylon System is the Vampire

Moon blades and other weapons that come runic

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sat May 18, 2019 3:41 am

So, I recently borked my moonblade by adding damage before putting a permanent essence on because I had the ordering backwards. Needless to say this is a massive setback to my character, potentially ending it not because I can't grind for a new one after getting everything else I need to survive epic levels but because I don't want to have to lol. Grinding for shit sucks.

Now I get it, the policy is to not replace things like this because it opens pandora's box and you guys don't want to be doing this all the time, and while I think something like this that is quite easy to screw up if you are inexperienced with this sort of thing should be an exception, I'm going to make a few suggestions based on what the stance is.

1) Give players the ability to revert the item back to its original state.

2) have warning messages similar to when placing a rune when you are about to use the runic capacity and there is no perm essence on it.

That's it, short and sweet. Thanks for reading.

Gobbo Champion Inc

Re: Moon blades and other weapons that come runic

Post by Gobbo Champion Inc » Sat May 18, 2019 12:31 pm

100% agree with this post. Stuff like this should be well documented always, to ensure players avoid costly mistakes that are not avoidable with common sense. How this works is something you wont learn unless you make the mistake, or someone warns you.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sat May 18, 2019 11:37 pm

I actually heard about this happening, and absolutely understand how frustrating such moments are.

I think a warning is indeed a great idea.

(Also while I see why you feel that in such cases an exception is called for, we really can't be doing that. Any such action to aid one player and not another will get construed as favoritism on the part of staff. That being said I really do get just how annoying this has been for you. :( )

Babylon System is the Vampire

Post by Babylon System is the Vampire » Sun May 19, 2019 3:19 am

Irongron wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 11:37 pm
I actually heard about this happening, and absolutely understand how frustrating such moments are.

I think a warning is indeed a great idea.

(Also while I see why you feel that in such cases an exception is called for, we really can't be doing that. Any such action to aid one player and not another will get construed as favoritism on the part of staff. That being said I really do get just how annoying this has been for you. :( )
I didn't mean to imply that the exception should have been for me, as awesome as I think I am personally, but rather the type of item since it doesn't take time to investigate. You look at the moonblade, see its borked, and replace. That being said I shouldn't have mentioned that opinion at all, I blame it on me not following my own rule of not posting for 24 hours after getting aggravated. To make me more of a heel a little bit of luck and a respectable but not overwhelming amount of coin later and I am more then halfway through making a new one.

In other words, nothing to see here save for the warning being a good idea :)

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Sun May 19, 2019 7:32 am

Seems like this is something the development team could fix relatively easily using item property tags from EE, so that applying an essence only overwrites a previously applied essence and nothing else. https://nwnlexicon.com/index.php?title=TagItemProperty

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Sun May 19, 2019 9:24 am

Liareth wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:32 am
Seems like this is something the development team could fix relatively easily using item property tags from EE, so that applying an essence only overwrites a previously applied essence and nothing else. https://nwnlexicon.com/index.php?title=TagItemProperty
Wouldn't that also allow you to apply essences on top of weapons that have natural elemental attributes?
I mean, I'm not complaining. I'd love to slap a +4 to the runic Elder Dream, that already comes with 2d6 divine.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Amnesy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Amnesy » Sun May 19, 2019 9:27 am

Or an ability to reforge. Which would break down the item into basic materials so you can forge it again or use to something else.

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Sun May 19, 2019 10:39 am

Liareth wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:32 am
That would be completly changing the balance of all the weapons in the game, it would have to be studied further.