Horse Throwing

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Horse Throwing

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:06 pm

I often want to use a horse for RP alone, without being a championship rider, but sometimes I get thrown from the thing every few rounds, even with 29 Ride. Going slowly and losing Tumble AC is already enough of a disadvantage to discourage novice riding in combat, so I wouldn't mind seeing the throwing threshold significantly reduced, to facilitate riding RP.

The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Nitro

Re: Horse Throwing

Post by Nitro » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:45 am

I've ridden and done combat for hours on end on warhorses with 15 ride without being thrown off, only to fall off instantly the second I try to mount another type of horse. Then gone for hours again on desert horses. It sure would be nice to know just what affects the difficulty of riding different horse breeds so one knows how much they need to aim for to not make themselves useless by being knocked prone at random in combat.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:05 am

I'm not a fan of the way riding works on Arelith. It could be improved and made available to everyone ( who wants to use it, at the very least ). It's such a cool feature forced under the 'mechanical' aspect of the game, like many other things.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:53 am

All hidden mechanics are bad.
Thankfully this team is no longer being used.

Sockss#5567 for nwn mechanics questions.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Sockss wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:53 am
All hidden mechanics are bad.
Reminder: the devs are quoted as saying the system is too complex to possibly explain clearly, so mechanics cannot be posted.

Reminder: the devs have said the following applies to ride:

Race of rider
Race and type of horse
Type of armor worn
If a shield is worn
Type of weapon held
Terrain and region of area in module
Current weather in area
Type of enemy encountered if any
Light sources/torches near horse
Type of armor and weapon held by enemy

All of these combine and move together to create a constantly shifting DC, apparently, that must be consistently met with hidden background checks in order to stay on your horse.

Reminder: In PnP DnD, the entirety of the Ride skill is this: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/ride.htm Please take special note that guiding with your knees is a DC 5, and there is no check whatsoever needed to guide a war trained horse into combat, and a non war trained mount is only DC 20. The entirety of Ride can be explained with a tiny simple chart accompanied by brief explanations.

Reminder: my younger sister could competently ride horses by herself by age 16, something level 30 demigods cannot do on Arelith. Ride is absolutely functionally broken with a system that is overly complex and cannot be explained, by the creator's admission. The best approach at this point is to scrap it entirely, and go back to treating it how it was originally implemented: completely, 100% aesthetic, with no bonuses except a small scaling bonus to movespeed. Let Paladins summon a mount to ride that has no combat ability whatsoever except to look cool for them to ride if they want. Hell, give Blackguards the same thing, and let Rangers pick a Totem option that's just "Horse" if they want.

Get rid of all these over complicated unexplainable mechanics and create something players can understand and actually make use of in consistent sensible RP. Please.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:24 pm

TimeAdept wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:20 pm
Get rid of all these over complicated unexplainable mechanics and create something players can understand and actually make use of in consistent sensible RP. Please.
Seconded.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:12 pm

TimeAdept wrote:
Reminder: the devs are quoted as saying the system is too complex to possibly explain clearly, so mechanics cannot be posted.
:lol:

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:35 pm

Sockss wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:12 pm
TimeAdept wrote:
:lol:
Do you think I was kidding?

Here are direct quotes from the creator of the Ride system.
Benchmark values have been given. 6 and 33 ranks. You can even guess that somewhere in the middle... say 16 ranks... you'll have a middling ability. Your ogre might not be able to ride that elven warhorse through the gates of hell but a sober human not heavily laden or with a crippling balance problem should do alright fighting ogres on a horse meant for fighting outside Cordor most of the time.

Why? because all the variables. you've been told this many times before and can read the example found earlier here demonstrating this.
Rather than you all complaining, why not play the game and explore. Grab a horse with 6 ride and see how you do. Fall off? Well put another point in when you level.

Rinse and repeat.
Except haste spell is a fixed point. It's always a level 3 spell (editors note; incorrect). It isn't a moving target based on your environment whereas ride requirements are. Consequently giving lower and upper bounds are the only workable solution to player builds.

You want to ride perfectly on any horse, in and out of combat? it's 33 ranks. You want to ride down a safe road with your friends on a nice docile horse? 6 ranks.

You want to ride a horse? 6 ranks, an elven horse? 15 ranks, with a dwarf? 20 ranks... who is mildly inehibriated? 22 ranks... in combat against a badger? 24 ranks, the badgers on fire? 26 ranks, you are fighting the badger in avernus? 33 ranks whilst being heavily encumbered with 3000lbs of coal ? 0 ranks... you broke the horses back...now you gotta walk.
Is that combat against badgers? Combat against orcs? Combat against dragons?

What about the number of ales you want to drink before riding into combat?

Where do you want to fight?

What about combat against torch wielding foes?

How much weight do you want to be able to carry?
YMMV but it is an apt one. The god save represents the whims of a god. The horse one represents the whims of a horse.

Im repeating myself but the amount of ride will vary on breed. It will vary on opponent equipment and it will vary on character too. It's also going to be dependant on sobriety.

It's not a simple 10 ranks and you're good.

With max ranks you (probably) will never fall off. (It might be that you could stack it that you could... like being very very drunk orc with 3 dex trying to ride an elven horse into the gates of hell)
No it's not the formula ( that would be crazy :) ). I'm giving you an example of the absurdity that would be typing out the different DCs.

As I've said. It depends on an a lot of factors (including a big one that not yet in... different horse breeds)

I probably could get close to getting a set of variables that would give an equivalent ride DC in that range mind...
Though you might end up dead from drinking before you get to the top end 33DC... maybe
With all due respect, this isn't a magical horsey wonderland. We're all playing dragon slaying adventurers capable of levelling buildings with a thought. Several of these classes are capable of taming said dragon slayers. Why can't we just ride horses without being thrown off by "The whims of a horse" and "luck".

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15498&hilit=3d10
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16216&hilit=Horse&start=25

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Nitro wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:24 pm
TimeAdept wrote:
Seconded.
Thirded! If that is even a word.

If horses were open to all, maybe introduce a one-time price to pay whenever first attempting to mount a new horse type.
Fuethermore, introduce a type only available to nobles, so they can keep their prestige.

Sockss

Post by Sockss » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:13 am

Not at all, I just love the condescension!

naturaly

Post by naturaly » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:45 am

Maybe they make system so ridiculously complicated because to have more horses is hard on server? That is only reason I can think why it like this. Otherwise, please, listen to Time Adept.

Twohand
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Twohand » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:27 pm

The horse throwing mechanic is indeed very annoying. I think the system could be made much better by removing the getting thrown off the saddle mechanic except in two situations: riding a wild horse without sufficient skill investment and being knocked down successfully by a foe. The rest of the riding system could mostly remain the same, but maybe the horse speed could be increased 1% by every 2 points in Ride instead of 3 points, with a slightly bigger speed cap, so that people who invested heavily on this skill do not feel ripped off?

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Still very disappointed this topic is not about throwing horses

Nikko
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nikko » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:00 pm

I'm sure 33 works for most horses and most combat scenarios though but is not fail proof either. Most situations with any of the trained horses you are just getting unlucky on rolls if you're galling off more than once a day with 16 ranks. (keep in mind you need 6 ranks to get on a horse, there's a cheap way to add 5 to gear for ride and you can use it on your current gear if you're not a sneak, and with stat bonuses and a couple added ranks you should be able to get to 16 fairly easily without ruining your build.)

Getting to 33 is not a 100% deal either as per the example above. Fighting ice wyverns on a wild horse with 42 ride and you can still get tossed regularly. Of course that's in platemail, in snow with a dozen other barbarian guys around. Never rode wild horse in leather or cloth.

It would be nice to have it simplified so you knew what you were getting into even if it's just in rough numbers. Maybe have the DCs for certain things static (30 to stay on with a critical hit, etc.) and have the horse actually change your ride skill readout on your character sheet when you enter a new area maybe?
    • Race of rider - ?? why, dwarves have short legs maybe? Could see this, but Arelith's horses grow and shrink to fit rider. :lol:
      Race and type of horse - I buy this, to be honest, but see notes below*
      Type of armor worn - armor check penalty already affects ride doesn't it? Why double hit?
      If a shield is worn - armor check penalty already affects ride doesn't it? Why double hit?
      Type of weapon held - eh, ok. Fighting with dual wielded daggers should be harder than a lance from horseback I guess. Negate with mounted combat feat though
      Terrain and region of area in module - I buy this
      Current weather in area - I buy this
      Type of enemy encountered if any - what does this even mean? A halfling with a spear is probably harder to fight from horseback than a dragon? Or other way around?
      Light sources/torches near horse - that seems excessive. Put the blinders on.
      Type of armor and weapon held by enemy - *I'd take this away and add negative to check for non-warhorse type in any combat negated by mounted combat feat.
Not a great lot of ideas I got. Get like 35 points, stay off wild horses is what I've been going with.*

There are two models of NIghtmares, one with saddle and one without. They seem equally easy to ride. I'd say it should be harder to stay of a sentient evil horse than a wild one maybe, especially if you're (let's just pretend) good aligned. Never seen anyone tossed from a nightmare.
Vicko Tannel, First Knight of Darrowdeep
You know there was always that one kid in your class that maybe liked horses a little too much? That's him.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:10 am

Nikko wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:00 pm
I'm sure 33 works for most horses and most combat scenarios though but is not fail proof either. Most situations with any of the trained horses you are just getting unlucky on rolls if you're galling off more than once a day with 16 ranks. (keep in mind you need 6 ranks to get on a horse, there's a cheap way to add 5 to gear for ride and you can use it on your current gear if you're not a sneak, and with stat bonuses and a couple added ranks you should be able to get to 16 fairly easily without ruining your build.)

Getting to 33 is not a 100% deal either as per the example above. Fighting ice wyverns on a wild horse with 42 ride and you can still get tossed regularly. Of course that's in platemail, in snow with a dozen other barbarian guys around. Never rode wild horse in leather or cloth.
Interesting. That would mean Kirito either botched something in the code or straight up lied to us when he told us this nugget:
You want to ride perfectly on any horse, in and out of combat? it's 33 ranks.

Sartain

Post by Sartain » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 am

Nitro wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:10 am
Interesting. That would mean Kirito either botched something in the code or straight up lied to us when he told us this nugget:
You want to ride perfectly on any horse, in and out of combat? it's 33 ranks.
Let's assume human error rather than malicious intent, shall we?

Astral

Post by Astral » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:44 am

MissEvelyn wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:37 pm

If horses were open to all, maybe introduce a one-time price to pay whenever first attempting to mount a new horse type.
Fuethermore, introduce a type only available to nobles, so they can keep their prestige.
+1 from me as well. Keep the really good horses for noble background and maybe some castles and open horse riding to everyone. Limit the falling off only to wild-horses, dwarves without ride skill and other abnormal riders. There are already more than enough combat-related reasons to max that skill if you want to use horses in combat.
Currently playing: Seth Xylo

Kreydis

Post by Kreydis » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Astral wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:44 am
MissEvelyn wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:37 pm

+1 from me as well. Keep the really good horses for noble background and maybe some castles and open horse riding to everyone. Limit the falling off only to wild-horses, dwarves without ride skill and other abnormal riders. There are already more than enough combat-related reasons to max that skill if you want to use horses in combat.
Look, I'm not saying we need dwarven knights riding mountain goats. . . but, it's a good idea.
It's a Dwarf, no it's a Dragon, no it's a Halfling! I think.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Sartain wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 pm
Still very disappointed this topic is not about throwing horses
If we can get a mechanic that lets me throw my stupid horse over a cliff after it bucks me off, that would work, too.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Twohand
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Twohand » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:56 pm

I didn't want to resurrect this thread, but ever since I started playing again a rider character, I've noticed how silly it is:

How much riding is actually needed to avoid falling? This happens way too often for a character with that amount of investment in the ride skill. For the record, the character is a Half-elf and the horse from the two screenshots were one of those you find outside Brogendenstein.
Last edited by Twohand on Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Subutai
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Subutai » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:20 pm

I'd really like to see Ride working the same as darts. Instead of having to invest skillpoints, adding hidden points to characters' hides. That would allow anyone to ride which A) would be nice for flavor, and B) could open things up a lot more for being able to develop areas around horse riding. Right now, it's far too restrictive. I don't see why only classes with the Ride skill should be able to ride a horse. Maybe a wild horse.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Dragonovith wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:56 pm
I didn't want to resurrect this thread, but ever since I started playing again a rider character, I've noticed how silly it is:

How much riding is actually needed to avoid falling? This happens way too often for a character with that amount of investment in the ride skill. For the record, the character is a Half-elf and the horse from the two screenshots were one of those you find outside Brogendenstein.
No one knows, Kirito refused to say anything beyond "33 points will never get you thrown off" but it seems like that isn't true either, so it might just be that no one knows how this overly convoluted and for some reason secret system works.

blksabbath74

Post by blksabbath74 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:39 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about throwing horses...figured it was a competitive sport among ogres...

Ecthelion

Post by Ecthelion » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:33 pm

Hum, yes. This's nasty and rather annoying, I've noticed it too. Specifically Arcane Steeds and Guldorand ones seems weird compared to all others.
Also it would nice to get a fix on Guldorand's horses, that have only 40 hitpoints, compared to all the other's 210.

TimeAdept

Post by TimeAdept » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:43 am

Dragonovith wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Literally no one knows. See my above post.